Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at Cabelas site today and they are advertising a new Marlin 1895 CB with 18.5 in tapered octagon barrel . It looks nice but does anyone have any info on this rifle.? Thanks

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'd like to know more about them. Don't have a Cabelas around here, just
Bass Pro and Gander Mt.
Joe

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The only problem, it's a remlin....don't know if I like the 18 1/2 barrel. Maybe that's just me.:(
Agree on both points. At least for me, an 18 1/2 barrel is too short. The rifle looks good in the photo, but who knows how the quality close up at a store where it can be examined.

I see they didn't put any checking on the hand grip. At least that's one thing they did that was smart!

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
One of our MO members just bought one of these recently. Maybe they will chime in before long...?

I'd love to have a 18" CB!.....!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was in a LGS in 2008 and they had a 1895CB on the rack I knew better than to look at it, always had a thing for octagon barreled Marlins. Had a Canadian in 30-30 great shooter, any way the 1895 followed me home. The sad part is I haven't shot but 30 rounds with it since I bought it. Working all the time. I plan on fixing that , got plenty ammo and plenty of powder and lead.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Yep, I have one. So does another forum member, but he hasn't posted pictures yet.

My thread is here http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/cowboy-rifles/144448-1895-cba-2.html#post1764055 and the pictures are on post 14.

I haven't shot it yet, but I have bought some Hornady FTX's so it's just a matter of time.

It's like a cross between a Cowboy and a guide gun. Very unique and the only other one like it is a Davidson's Limited III.

Price? Well, it's cheaper than you'll get a JM Cowboy or Limited III for. The only concern is quality and I called three stores before I decided to purchase this one.

-Bob

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's a nice looking levergun, It would look even better with a big loop! I also like the octagon barrell deal!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought the Cabelas Model 1895CB a couple of weeks ago, and find the fit and finish to be first rate. It was the last one in stock at their Hoffman Estates store, but I looked at it closely before making the jump. I have a Guide Gun with a round, 18-1/2" barrel, but couldn't resist the CB with its octagonal barrel, slim furniture, and full length magazine. The capacity is 6+1.

It was a little stiff at first, but cleaned up very nicely with CLP and REM Oil. As usual, I ran a couple of treatments with J-B Bore Cleaner, before finishing up with CLP and a dry patch.

I have a WWG Happy Trigger kit on backorder. The OEM trigger is clean but heavy, at 6-1/4 lbs. This should come down to 3# with the WWG trigger. I didn't spend a lot of time shooting details at a friend's cabin, but if rustic backgrounds aren't important, I can add to the collection later. I couldn't resisti throwing in a Ruger New Vaquero and Rossi Coach Gun into the mix.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Well the first hand review is encouraging. Hopefully they are all like that. Amazing they let out a Cabelas addition before the standard length barrel. At least as far as I know the 26" version isn't available yet. Maybe a commitment from Cabelas for an enticing quantity order lead to the release. Good on Cabelas to start an exclusive. Wonder if Cabelas made some quality stipulations before making the commitment.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I believe bruiser mentioned in his thread that there WERE in fact new production CB's with 26"bbls available. But I'll let him confirm, since he was the one who actually talked to the folks!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I was getting some mixed information on the barrel lengths from the different stores I called and what was on the website. The website said they were 26" rifles and that is what I thought the first two stores had when I talked with them. It wasn't until the third store that he mentioned it "just looks odd with a 18 1/2" barrel". I talked for quite a while with that gentleman and he did some research and called me back stating that he believes there are two models availible, both under the same product number. He also thought the 18 1/2" barrelled rifle were a order that another vendor placed but never took delivery of and Cabelas picked them up.

A few days after talking with him I finally reached Marlin and after a few calls I finally talked with somebody who looked up the order number on my box and told me that it is a rifle made exclusively for Cabelas during 2014. I called back the first two stores I spoke to (during my initail search) and it turned out that the rifles they had were also 18 1/2" barrels. I then posted the question (twice actually) on the Cabelas site regarding the barrel length and they confirmed that what they had were the 18 1/2" barrel rifles.

So with the information I gathered, I believe that all they have is the 18 1/2" barrel rifles, special ordered for Cabelas. Now that does not mean that you might not find a 26" Cowboy that has been sitting in a back room at a store or distributor that just finally got put on the shelf. I just read about a 1895M someone found on the shelf at a Gander Mountain, I believe over this past weekend. That stuff does happen. Also don't forget the gun library were pre-owned rifles go looking for a new home.

-Bob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts