Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had a 1894CSS for a while, JM stamp, 91XXXXXX

Bought a 1894SS at a gun show today, REP stamp, MR11XXXXX (anyone know when this might have been made?)

Anyway, feel like I got a good deal (like brand new, $550 out the door).

Real question, action is rough/tight. Probably needs to be worked quite a bit and "broke in." Want to confirm that it's tight because it is newish.

Made a dummy round, 240 grain XTP, no powder/primer. Cycles and extracts just fine.

Don't think it will have any problems at the range, I just want it to be as smooth as my Marlin made 1894css. Give it time?

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow I think you got a smoking deal. Feed it well and often and let us know how it shoots.

·
Super Moderator
25,117 Posts
You got a Remlin--there have been problems with a lot of them--please read the Marlin Rant Forum to get more info on this. Quality has been getting better the past year or so--but bad ones are still being produced unfortunately. Familiarize yourself with the QA/QC problems in the before mentioned Marlin Rant Forum. To get the date of manufacture--look to find a two letter code stamped on the barrel. One letter stands for the year--the other letter designates the month. Google "Remington Dates of Manufacture" and you should get directed to a Remington Users Forum that has a chart listing what these two letters mean. Good luck with your new Marlin.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
There will be searchable threads on how to slick up the action. It takes a hard Arkansas stone and essentially polishing the contact sites in the action. Don't use a Dremel. The idea is not to remove metal, just to polish. About 90 min work will make a big difference. Or else sit in front of the TV and cycle the action about 5000 times.

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As long as you looked it over real well and handeled it and everything seems ok you
should be good to go.
The bad remlins are pretty obviously bad.
I tried cycling one and I really thought I needed to use my foot to aid
in cycling it. If the wood lines up, isn't cracked and if cycles well
you should be ok.
Plus you can be thankful it doesn't have micro groove.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
With out pictures it never happened. Get out the camera, please!
Sorry for the delay! Thanks for the tips everyone. I will continue to work with the action and read up on the polishing procedures.

photo.jpg

Reactions: graymustang and Roy

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I doubt it will ever be as slick as your CSS, but it will loosen up with time and use. The stainless guns just seem to get slicker, faster, and better. I can tell my stainless 44 from every other Marlin I own just by cycling the action......there's that much of a difference.

There are lots of tips and tricks in the reference section on how to slick up your new baby........read a lot and work a little, metal is hard to put back!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt it will ever be as slick as your CSS, but it will loosen up with time and use. The stainless guns just seem to get slicker, faster, and better. I can tell my stainless 44 from every other Marlin I own just by cycling the action......there's that much of a difference.

There are lots of tips and tricks in the reference section on how to slick up your new baby........read a lot and work a little, metal is hard to put back!
I feel the same way about my stainless 357. It's clearly different, but then again, it's years older. Time will tell! Thank you.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Sorry for the delay! Thanks for the tips everyone. I will continue to work with the action and read up on the polishing procedures.

View attachment 97270
Beautiful gun, congratulations!!! And don't let the stamp on the barrel scare you or anyone tell you that your gun isn't a "real" Marlin, If your gun functions the way it should and looks good and everything is fine then it's a good gun you can be proud of. Very nice pair of rifles you got there!! I have both JM stamped Marlins I love and REP stamped Marlins I love. There is no difference in quality between mine.
That's the key, it doesn't matter if a million ppl had problems with their REP stamped guns. If your personal REP gun is fine then it's fine period the end.

Cheers!

·
Registered
70 Posts
paratrooper,

I bought a Remington made Marlin 1895 GS last month. it was extremely rough but I spent some time with stones and crocus cloth smoothing things up. I also found the the lever plunger was not correctly angled so filed it until the angles met the surface of the lever. Before doing this the lever was very hard in closing. I also took about 1 1/2 coils off the plunger spring. about 1/2 coil at a time and that also helped a lot. My 1895 is now much smoother than either of my JM 1894s (which I have never worked over) My older presafety 94 is a very close second though.

The first time through working on the action I forgot to smooth the ejector and the groove it rides in. Unsatisfied i went back and smoothed both using stone and crocus cloth and that made much more difference than I ever imagined it would. I also worked the action about a million times the first 2 weeks and then lubed with some Mobil 1 and i do believe that helped too.

Good luck with your new gun! I sure enjoy my '94s too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts