Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This has been brought up before but I don't think anyone really answered the question.

Brand New Marlin 1894CSS in .357 just arrived at my gun dealer. Wood quality and grain is very nice all around. Checkering is standard Marlin quality. Stainless steel and action looks and feels very nice.

Marlin JM Proof on left side where it should be. No REP or Remington markings on the gun, box, paperwork, or labeling anywhere.

Serial number 91xxxxxxx indicates built in 2009 and is located in TWO places - on left side of the receiver AND under the hammer in tiny laser and dots.

This gun looks and feels like any North Haven built rifle I have ever seen including my three rifles. It is near perfect all around - nothing like any of the Ilion built guns that I have seen.

TOMRAY or BOBBYTJR - can you advise who put that laser marking under the hammer?

Here is the rifle - it is on hold at the gun dealer:

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I don't know about any serial # under the hammer, my 91xxx 1894 doesn't have that, but I believe I would buy that gun, the wood looks nice! :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also have a 91Series SN and it has the REP and no SN under hammer. The wood is also nice but I did return to factory due to a mag tube way off to the side which they did fix.
Keith

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Not sure of the significance but some guns have had things stamped under the hammer for a very long time. One of my 1889's has a letter there & if I recall both my 1893's do too as do several newer guns.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
From everything you tell me, I think that's a North Haven gun, due to the JM proof...........Re : the Dot Peen number under the hammer, that was started in North Haven also. The Dot Peen # was assigned in manufacturing, and the Laser etch serial number machine in the assemby dept "read' that DP number to Laser Etch the human readable number on the LH side of the receiver.

So.............North Haven Gun, to me.

Tom

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have an 09 css with the jm mark, i havent had a problem with her and ive put about 1000 rounds through it. it has the mark under the hammer, no idea what it is. i have an 01 94c with no mark under the hammer. never really thought about it, no idea what its purpose is.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tomray and Bobbytjr for answering the questions about the serial number under the hammer. In some earlier posts some MO members said Marlin NH never used that method but as indicated in the reply:

"Re : the Dot Peen number under the hammer, that was started in North Haven also. The Dot Peen # was assigned in manufacturing, and the Laser etch serial number machine in the assembly dept "read' that DP number to Laser Etch the human readable number on the LH side of the receiver."

What I can say is this 1894CSS .357 and my 336SS .30-30 are most definitely North Haven made rifles because they are "PERFECTLY MADE!"

In a couple weeks I will be adding the 1894CSS .357 to my ALL STAINLESS Marlin Collection . . . . . .

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
Thanks Tomray and Bobbytjr for answering the questions about the serial number under the hammer. In some earlier posts some MO members said Marlin NH never used that method but as indicated in the reply:

"Re : the Dot Peen number under the hammer, that was started in North Haven also. The Dot Peen # was assigned in manufacturing, and the Laser etch serial number machine in the assembly dept "read' that DP number to Laser Etch the human readable number on the LH side of the receiver."

What I can say is this 1894CSS .357 and my 336SS .30-30 are most definitely North Haven made rifles because they are "PERFECTLY MADE!"

In a couple weeks I will be adding the 1894CSS .357 to my ALL STAINLESS Marlin Collection . . . . . .
Oh you are gonna love that one! Lucky you! ;D

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Where those pics up, on the 1st post?.............I really didn't see them........

After viewing the pics, that is MOST definately a NORH HAVEN rifle........The wood proves it............The new Rem/S&K wood is totally different, and NOT up to the North Haven finish/finishing standard.

Remington pushed us into that Lasre S/N marking system.....It doesn't produceas clean a number as the old roll stamp system, either...........It would appear, they don't now use it in "Sillion" N.Y.............Another Remington case of "Do what I say, not what I do"...........

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks TOMRAY for clearing this up. "Remington pushed us into that Lasre S/N marking system.....It doesn't produce as clean a number as the old roll stamp system, either..........."

No doubt that my 336SS .30-30 and my new 1894CSS .357 were made in 2009 and in NORTH HAVEN by you guys!

For those of you who have not seen the CODE or Laser Etched Serial Number here are two pics. Note that it would not take too much effort with some 0000 steel wool to eradicate that serial number on the side of the receiver.

DOT CODE SERIAL NUMBER UNDER THE HAMMER. Painted some of the dots as someone suggested that an enterprising person might decipher the dot code - - -

Laser Etched Serial Number on left side of receiver:

GB45

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
GB thank you for these excellent photos, this adds to my knowledge of Marlin firearms. Tomray thanks for the explanations, this will be very helpful down the road.

MM

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very interesting thread. I appreciate the pictures of the dot-code thingy since I've heard about it but never seen it.

My 336C (purchased in August 2010) has the laser etched 91xxxxx serial number on the left side of the receiver but no dot-code under the hammer. Its definitely a North Haven rifle - has North Haven wood and originally had a JM proofmarked barrel. Its gonna be confusing to figure out after I'm gone though - it went back to Remarlington for barrel and crown issues and they replaced the barrel. Now it wears a REM proofmarked barrel with all other indicators indicating North Haven manufacture. I'll have to pass it on to one of my sons along with the story or they'll never figure it out... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts