Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mixed.
Some good, some not.

Overall machining & metalwork notably better.
No canted sights, slight bolt overhang but less than many other recent samples I've seen & the angles & curves at the rear of the bolt & frame better done.

Tight action, will wear in. Trigger mildly gritty, slight travel before breaking, no overtravel, no deal killer.

Fore-end much better fit, no gap between it & frame. Still fat. :)

Retains button safety & half-cock.

Stock fit remains a weak point.
Better than most I've seen in the past couple years, slight gaps, wood a shade proud around both tangs near the front end.

Checkering is pressed, with rounded & indistinct diamond tips that detract a bit from the otherwise nice grain on the oiled wood.

Rubber pad well fitted.
Rear sling stud screwed in at a cockeyed angle.

Overall, I think they're on the right track.
Last new one I had here was returned unfired, it was so bad.
This one might stay on, depending on how it shoots.
Denis

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Maybe some day Remington's workmanship will match what Marlin had done for years.....glad to hear they're getting better. :tee:

Reactions: Brocky

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Sounds encouraging. Bolt overhang is common on the square bolts. Even on the 19th century built rifles.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the overhang is common, this one just has less of it than samples I've seen on new Marlins in the past couple years.
Included mention to say I see an improvement in that area of the gun. :)
Denis

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
REP in cartouche followed by another P on the right side of the barrel, cannot make out the two little marks on the left side.
Direct from Remington to my dealer, I'd been dealing with my company rep for several months in getting one of the first ones out as soon as production began again.
Denis

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
REP in cartouche followed by another P on the right side of the barrel, cannot make out the two little marks on the left side.
Direct from Remington to my dealer, I'd been dealing with my company rep for several months in getting one of the first ones out as soon as production began again.
Denis
I was aware you were on the list, and I have been waiting to hear from you...

I am saddened that we really have no idea when that gun was made without the Remington barrel date code...

I have been waiting years now for an 1894C, and I do not see one coming in my future...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's supposed to be brand new production as one of the first released under the revamped re-introduction program.
I have no reason to doubt that it is.
Denis

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
It's supposed to be brand new production as one of the first released under the revamped re-introduction program.
I have no reason to doubt that it is.
Denis
I have read in multiple places on the net that before the line shutdown, the 1894's were date stamped...Even the ones with North Haven roll stamped barrels...

Without the date stamp, the only recourse would be to call Remington with the serial number...

As I said, I am just a consumer hoping that I can get a model I want at a reasonable price...The used 1894C's I saw go on Gunbroker, went $800-$1200...I can never justify one that high...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No reason to doubt it's new.
I've been bugging Remington about 1894Cs for three years. No point in sending me an old stock gun, then or now. :)
Why would you think it's NOT new production?
Denis

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
No reason to doubt it's new.
I've been bugging Remington about 1894Cs for three years. No point in sending me an old stock gun, then or now. :)
Why would you think it's NOT new production?
Denis
It's not that I believe it to not be 'new', it's that without proof I am skeptical...

Till I actually see a flow of these to LGS, GunBroker, etc., I have a difficult time believing that they are indeed being produced in any number...

You say this is an 1894C (.357/.38)?

If they have switched the lines from the 1894, why is there not an influx of 1894's to the market and LGS availability?

Gallery Of Guns still show all 1894 to be 'Allocated'...The SS is still 'Not In Our System'...

As I said, I am just skeptical at this point...

I sincerely hope they resolve the issues of fit/finish/avalability...I want one...But looks like I will be waiting...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see.
OK, you're free to ignore anything further I may post on it.
Which probably will be nothing, if I'm going to be dis-believed when I try to contribute something I thought would be useful to the forum.

I've been asking for a review sample 1894C in .357 Mag for three years.
Last one I had here was the tail end of old production after the move to Ilion. So bad it was returned unfired.

Been checking with them directly on availability & progress ever since they suspended the model.

When they finally said "It's coming", I confirmed I still wanted one.
They gave me a couple time frames, then it showed up.

This is one of the first from new production.

I've advised people here & elsewhere, because I know there's interest in the model, that production has resumed, along with I found on this sample Remington sent.

There is absolutely zero reason to believe it's anything but new production.
Pointless for them to send me an older gun.
Pointless for me to fabricate a story.

You knew they've been working on new equipment & training.
The fact that they're not out in volume yet doesn't mean either they're lying or I'm lying.

Not the first time I've gotten new guns before the gunshops did, won't be the last.

I told you this did not go through regular channels, came direct to my dealer for me.
Enjoy your skepticism.
Denis

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One additional comment, for everybody but Salmoneye who's no longer reading this thread, is that there's now a scanner square etched into the receiver right next to the serial on the frame.
Tiny, unobtrusive, about 3/16 inches square, maybe that's where the YOM is now located.
Denis

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I see.
OK, you're free to ignore anything further I may post on it.
Which probably will be nothing, if I'm going to be dis-believed when I try to contribute something I thought would be useful to the forum.

I've been asking for a review sample 1894C in .357 Mag for three years.
Last one I had here was the tail end of old production after the move to Ilion. So bad it was returned unfired.

Been checking with them directly on availability & progress ever since they suspended the model.

When they finally said "It's coming", I confirmed I still wanted one.
They gave me a couple time frames, then it showed up.

This is one of the first from new production.

I've advised people here & elsewhere, because I know there's interest in the model, that production has resumed, along with I found on this sample Remington sent.

There is absolutely zero reason to believe it's anything but new production.
Pointless for them to send me an older gun.
Pointless for me to fabricate a story.

You knew they've been working on new equipment & training.
The fact that they're not out in volume yet doesn't mean either they're lying or I'm lying.

Not the first time I've gotten new guns before the gunshops did, won't be the last.

I told you this did not go through regular channels, came direct to my dealer for me.
Enjoy your skepticism.
Denis
*sigh*

I asked you a simple question about Remington date codes, and whether they were present on the barrel or not...

I never accused you of any deceit; I never accused Remington of any deceit, and I never said I did not believe you *rolleyes*

Not sure why you seem to be in a tizzy over my skepticism...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Salmoneye,

How many years now have I seen in forums all over the Internet, "Can't find an 1894C anywhere, when are they coming out again?"
When I update a Marlin Forum on the resumption of a popular Marlin model, with contacts at Remington & a new sample in my hands, all you want to do is argue that it's not really new, when you have neither.

No tizzy, just tired of having my veracity questioned by people who have no clue & refuse to accept one.
And if you don't think that's the way your posts came across, you're much mistaken.
Backpeddling won't help.

Just put me on your Ignore Button.
You're on mine.
Denis

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Salmoneye,

How many years now have I seen in forums all over the Internet, "Can't find an 1894C anywhere, when are they coming out again?"
When I update a Marlin Forum on the resumption of a popular Marlin model, with contacts at Remington & a new sample in my hands, all you want to do is argue that it's not really new, when you have neither.

No tizzy, just tired of having my veracity questioned by people who have no clue & refuse to accept one.
And if you don't think that's the way your posts came across, you're much mistaken.
Backpeddling won't help.

Just put me on your Ignore Button.
You're on mine.
Denis
If you have had your "veracity" questioned in the past, I would appreciate you leaving me out of your issues...

As I have stated repeatedly...

All I asked you was if there was was usual Remington date stamp on the barrel...

Without that stamp, no one knows if this is a 'new' production run from this month, or last...

By your own admission, the gun in your hands is still underwhelming:

"Overall machining & metalwork notably better."

"
Stock fit remains a weak point."

"
Checkering is pressed, with rounded & indistinct diamond tips that detract a bit from the otherwise nice grain..."

"
Rear sling stud screwed in at a cockeyed angle."

I am at a total loss as to why you are offended by my question as to when this gun was made...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello I'm new to this forum and forums in general. I hope my ignorance can be overlooked, anyhow does anyone know if there are new production 1894's? there are several on gun broker being advertised as new in the box.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.