Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
Having always been a semi-auto nut, I have plenty of them and decided to expand to revolvers with a couple S&W`s in .357. Well, it didn`t take long to see the the light and get a rifle companion for the .357...hence the new 1894C. I`d been lurking here for some time, went ahead and registered in this forum, then it crashed! At any rate, I reregistered and wanted to let you know how it shot after finally getting to the range.

I`d read of the dreaded Marlin Jam and various other problems some unlucky people had with their 1894C`s. I knew that, just like with semi-auto`s, lever actions could be finicky so picked up 4 diferent types of 357`s and headed to the range. I set up a target at 50yds since my eyes are now 48, crossed my fingers and started shooting. Here`s what I found...

Winchester 145gr Silvertips- fed well and seemed to group at 3" or so when I "tried" to do my part. I had no hangups and no ejection problems. Recoil noted but not a problem at all.

Remington 158gr SP- Uh Oh! On the 5th round in the first 2 magazines, it hung up on the ramp. Worked the lever again and it fed on both of them. Seemed to shoot about the same as the Silvertips. Felt recoil seemed "sharper" than the Silvertips which was expected since the Silvertips were 145gr and Rem. 158gr.

PMC 158gr JSP- These were my favorites. Fed well, grouped well with nary a problem. Felt recoil seemed more a "push" than the others.

Georgia Arms 158gr JHP- Fed with no problems and shot to the same point as the others. Recoil about like the Silvertips. Groups were about the same.

This was my first lever action and I really had no clue about them, having had semi-auto pistols, revolvers, semi-auto rifles and a pump shotgun before. I was a little worried that I may have problems with it but after the trip to the range, really like it. I set the targets at 50 yrd since anything farther I couldn`t see that well. The sights I think, could be better and the jury is still out on them. I may well replace them at some point in time. Interestingly enough, the sight was set at the factory to point of aim at 50yds. Through accident or design I don`t know but it sure worked for me.
I`m still interested in the "Marlin Fix" but the diagrams I saw for the fix was not for the 1894C so I haven`t done anything...yet. I think I know what to smooth out on the lever but am hesitant to do so. Do I really need to do this, or have it done? Seems to me that Marlin should be aware of the problem by now and fix it from the factory. But that`s just me.
On a side note, I ordered a Marlin Sling since I like leather and thought the sling would look good with the Marlin logo on it. Well, it arrived and does look good. Unfortunately, it literally stinks! It was cured with some type of chemical, not "Vegetable Tanned" like most of my holsters which have the "leather smell" that I love. This thing STINKS. It was almost dripping with it and I tried to wipe it off but it keeps oozing back out. I even tried wiping it down with alcohol followed with Mink Oil but that didn`t help either. Still stinks! Any thoughts on how to remove the stench?

Overall, I`m very pleased with the 1894C. It`s light/handy and shoots well...better than I can anyway :wink: I think I`ll stick with the PMC`s and Silvertips in it and shoot what`s left of the Remington`s in my revolvers since they love anything I feed them. Just thought I`d let you know of my experience with the 1894C.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think I'd try rubbing some cornmeal on the sling to absorb whatever is oozing from it. As for smoothing out the 1894 action, the standard directions seen on this forum and elsewhere are pretty straight foreward and worth the effort. Polishing the key parts with 400 or 600 grit wet/dry paper does the trick. It isn't too difficult to improve the functioning of the 1894 considerably, and they ARE fun. Just ask my wife. Keep the gang posted on your future exploits with the 1894C. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try Saddle soap on the sling.

You're not the first person to comment on the smell, of the Marlin sling.

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my 1894C since last December, and don't see the need for any 'fix' personally. I forgot what the 'fix' entails exactly, but my action smoothed up really well all by itself after limited use.

I wonder if Marlin is putting something new on their slings. I ordered one in January and it doesn't stink at all. Certainly isn't oozing anything.

Glad you like the new rifle.

CW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts