Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a new 1894 SS, when it arrived it did in fact turn out to be one of the new ones made by Remington. It still has the North Haven address on the Barrell, but I understand they have permission to do this? It has the Rem proofmark on the right side.

First impressions. When I took it out of the box I noticed that the rear sight seemed bent. I took hold of it and it came right off in my hand. I saw that one of the holes in the rear sight blade was broken. A quick trip to my parts box and it now has a new (well, different) rear sight.

Other than that, the finish seems good. Both wood and metal. It actually has pretty wood. The metal to wood fit is good as well.

So I take it out to my range. I load the first handful of rounds, hold my breath and cycle. It jams, but not the dreaded "Marlin Jam". The round isnt being lifted properly to enter the chamber. With a slight double pump it loads. It rocked on just like that, sometimes it fed smoothly and sometimes it would continue to not lift the round fully- a double pump of the lever would be required. At this point, after about 35 rounds, Im sort of in "wait and see" mode. I cleaned the rifle after the first few rounds, maybe it will "learn" like some of them seem to. But all things considered Im not ready to start trying to fix a problem just yet, until I see that it isnt going away after the rifle smooths up some with use.

I put a little 4X scope on it and sighted it in, accuracy at 50 yards is fine. So, I dont know yet if this qualifies as an example of positive results with one of the Remington guns or not, just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well it sounds to be on par with the new "JM" guns I've bought/handled in the last few years. They usually need a little love, but turn out great in the end. I hope yours does too.

BTW, where's the picture?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Maybe try some different ammo. Seems like some Marlins are picky eaters while others will eat just about anything.
Sounds like you may just have an okay Remington Marlin there..

·
Premium Member
18,178 Posts
It sounds just like my 1894SS when it was new ten years ago. Balky at first, then it learned to feed my handloads, now it's slicker than oiled bear boogers. I think yours will be the same pretty soon, just be patient and let it learn. 8)

·
Registered
16,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what Im hoping for. My 1894CSS was a bit twitchy right out of the box, but straightened up on its own pretty quickly. I have my fingers crossed this one will do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.