Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New 1894, do I just shoot it?

1K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  pipedreams 
#1 ·
Hi,
I've been lurking on here for a while but I've finally given up trying to find a reasonably priced pre-owned 1894 in 357 / 38 (they are like the proverbial rocking horse poo over here) and ordered one of the new Remlin ones, should be able to collect it in a couple of weeks. This is my first new rifle and I wondered if I needed to do anything other than give it a clean before firing it. I want to slick it up a bit and fit a reduced power main spring and a one piece firing pin (I know the standard spring would bed in with use but I won't be putting loads of rounds through it every week so it would take for ever). Are there any other mods I should be thinking of doing to it?

And finally are the latest rifles to come out of the Remington Factory still as bad as the early ones, I've kind of set my self up to be disappointed with the quality of the finished product but I still think its the best option for me from a limited selection here in the UK.

#2 ·
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...Clean it and shoot it...

#3 ·
Shooting it is a lot more fun than looking at it hanging on the wall! :biggrin:

Clean it and shoot it, mod it later if you need to. You will find out more
from shooting it than anything else.
Make sure it shoots true and you'll be ok.

Reactions: Pereira and Brocky
#8 ·
Don't use the XS ghost ring if you want target accuracy.
Get an aperture sight for long distance target.
The XS sight is so huge I cannot hit a full size ram with my
45-70 as it allows too much variance in the shot.
The .357 shoots pretty flat out to about 200 yards,
at least with the ammo I use.
If you aren't in competition with rules then your choice of sights open
up a lot.
Keep in mind that cowboys did in fact use tang and aperture sights
way back in the day.

What kind/brands of ammo are available in the UK?

#9 ·
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

#11 ·
SCO77

It sounds like you should get the rifle, clean it, and shoot it before you do anything to modify your new rifle. You may find you will want to tweak it before changing anything.

The high cost of the rifle is due to TAX? Maybe you should consider moving to Switzerland. I understand they have the lowest taxes in the European Union.

Mike T.

#13 ·
Welcome sco77w.Just clean the factory grease and machining residue out before shooting it for the first time.Some guys say the Remlings are getting better and others say they are not.All you can do is lay down your money and take your chances.The $1100 range is really not that far off the mark for the 1894c.I think you will be shooting her a lot more than you think.I hope you will not have a problem finding ammo because the 357mag is a blast to shoot.

#15 ·
Welcome from Connecticut

#17 ·
Welcome from Mississippi near the Gulf of Mexico.

#22 ·
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. After cleaning your 1894, oil up the action and cycle it a few hundred times. This will help smooth things out and bed the springs.
Do you reload? If so, you'll spend a lot less on ammo and get to know the rifle better.
Best of luck on your new Marlin.

#24 ·
Welcome aboard!

#25 ·
Hi,
I've been lurking on here for a while but I've finally given up trying to find a reasonably priced pre-owned 1894 in 357 / 38 (they are like the proverbial rocking horse poo over here) and ordered one of the new Remlin ones, should be able to collect it in a couple of weeks. This is my first new rifle and I wondered if I needed to do anything other than give it a clean before firing it. I want to slick it up a bit and fit a reduced power main spring and a one piece firing pin (I know the standard spring would bed in with use but I won't be putting loads of rounds through it every week so it would take for ever). Are there any other mods I should be thinking of doing to it?

And finally are the latest rifles to come out of the Remington Factory still as bad as the early ones, I've kind of set my self up to be disappointed with the quality of the finished product but I still think its the best option for me from a limited selection here in the UK.
Hi
Welcome from a fellow Brit. SYSS have a selection of (real) Marlins on their web site. PLus there is an 1894 on Guntrader a tad costly at £1200 but it is ported.
If all else fails shoot the thing and love it. Do the updates later, and the trigger jobs work I had one done to my 1894
Best
Grovesie

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Match rifle shooting

"I laud the day there is a rifle in every cottage in England" Lord Salisbury circa 1900

#27 ·
I'm not far from SYSS and I've seen the ones they have brought in on their website but I just can't justify spending that sort of cash on something that may only get used once a month also seen the 1894p on gun trader too. Ive been trawling gun trader, gun star and other forums looking for a pre owned one without any luck.

Hi
Welcome from a fellow Brit. SYSS have a selection of (real) Marlins on their web site. PLus there is an 1894 on Guntrader a tad costly at £1200 but it is ported.
If all else fails shoot the thing and love it. Do the updates later, and the trigger jobs work I had one done to my 1894
Best
Grovesie

View attachment 105926

"I laud the day there is a rifle in every cottage in England" Lord Salisbury circa 1900

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.