Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
My wife has a 1894CL 32-20--she shoots 115 gr hardcast with 10 grs of A2400.

·
Registered
700 Posts
First congrats on a fun rifle That I have come to understand why it was the farm gun for many years. It kills coyotes and ground hogs with authority. I used 4 gr of Unique over a Lyman 311008 for 1180 fps and the NOE 311316 over 10 gr of A 2400 in hollow point and solid with good results.
I have to say that the 115 gr flat point has killed coyotes has good has the hollow point though and in the last couple months I upped the Unique to 5 gr and get good accuracy and a bit more velocity and at 5 grains you can load a lot of cartridges from a lb of powder.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cant get it anymore, but my go-to load for silhouette is 4.5 gr 4756 under a 115gr 311008. Super accurate, and has won me many matches...

·
Registered
954 Posts
You can find a lot of info on the net. Paco has a page I found on Google with all kinds of info on the .32-20. The info he had on loads has checked out to be spot on for me. I load the 100 gr Hornady jacketed and it seems to be accurate. I'm still working to get the right front sight for my Skinner peep.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Paco has some warm ones listed for sure. One of them was something like (don't quote me or try it on my suggestion) 13 gr of Accurate #9, where all of my manuals stop around 9 or 10 gr. Or something along those lines. I just finished slugging my 32-20 (made 2005) barrel and it's .308, not the .312 I have been loading it with.

Might want to check yours out when you get it in and see what you have. I'm still working on a favorite with mine. I did load about 10 rounds with something like 11.5 gr of #9, and didn't even have a flattened primer or any sign of excessive pressure. Felt about like a 38 +P in the .357rifle.
Looking forward to the pictures! Congratulations!

Reactions: bkg1956 and Pereira

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine is pickier than many. It gives me trouble loading flat point bullets...the noses hang up on the right edge of the chamber. Not a big deal, jiggle the lever. Acme 100 gr round nose and Hornady xtp jacketed bullets both feed very well. I can't get mine to shoot well with fast powders or lead bullets so far. Most others seem to do great with 4.5 or 5.0 gr of unique, but mine likes moderate loads of imr4227 or H4198 and that 100 gr Hornady. Close to MOA with a scope

·
Premium Member
10,571 Posts
in my 32wcf model 1902 S&W I use a 115gr. lyman and 4gr. of unique, that load is 1/2gr under max for my pistol. I am sure you could step it up a bit in the rifle. it is an accurate load in my gun,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.