Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread someone had posted about a new 1894 they were pursuing and I mentioned my recent .357 purchase. Well I finally was able to pick it up from my FFL. It turned out to be way nicer than expected! The photos of it from GunBroker were not good and the gun was just filthy. I stripped it down last night and she cleaned up very well. No cross bolt safety, obviously JM stamped. Looks like a very thin gold bead (something shiny up there) front sight. Ran some rounds through her for a function test and everything checked out there. Just missing the bullseye from the stock. I've got it pictured next to my 1894 CSS. Very happy with this pick up! So now I have two a blue and a stainless model.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too! I probably won't be able to run a lot of rounds through it but I'd definitely like to get her to the range. The ammo situation sure has put a damper on firearms fun!

·
Registered
19,694 Posts
VERY nice! If you don't already, as soon as the component situation changes, start reloading!...the ammo shortage won't affect you quite as badly (if at all) !

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VERY nice! If you don't already, as soon as the component situation changes, start reloading!...the ammo shortage won't affect you quite as badly (if at all) !
I've been thinking about it for years but haven't taken the plunge. It would make sense for me as I enjoy .357 and .45. I have been saving my brass for the last 6-7 years though so I have a great starting point!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've been thinking about it for years but haven't taken the plunge. It would make sense for me as I enjoy .357 and .45. I have been saving my brass for the last 6-7 years though so I have a great starting point!

You need to get off the diving board and take the plunge. I have been reloading for 48 years now, have no idea of how much I have saved, or how much peace of mind I have when another ammo crunch happens.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes sense. I don't plan on buying guns for the foreseeable future so maybe this will be my next journey, learning how to reload! Any recommendations on what to start with, I'm looking at just pistols up front? Calibers would be .45, .357/.38 and maybe .30 carbine. While I shoot a ton of 9mm, I hear it is less popular for the reloading crowd.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my new to me 1894 to the indoor range today. At this range I only have about 20 yards to shoot. Let me say the experience was fantastic! This example cycles .38 special like a champ, in fact the only hesitation I've felt is with .357 ammo for some reason. However it cycled and fired beautifully and pile rounds on top of each other making me look real good! A group of guys shooting a couple of stalls down came walking on over to see what the noise was about and why there was only one big hole in the silhouette target head!

I let them take it for a spin with .38's and all three were in love with it. I just love these carbines, the only downside to them is the stuff loading gates but man are they accurate. Off hand, iron sights, about 20 yards with crappy indoor lighting and it produced a big hole about 1.5"-2" around from the 25 .38's I sent down range. Let's just say the silhouette would have had a bad day! I know it's sacrilege but man I want to put a rail and red dot on this one or do some ranger point precision peep sights. Get a nice sling as well. Very happy customer!

·
Registered
139 Posts
dmthomp32 you need to get that carbine out to the "rifle" range! 😆

Seriously, this carbine should shine at 50 and 100 yards with the +P load your are referring to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dmthomp32 you need to get that carbine out to the "rifle" range!

Seriously, this carbine should shine at 50 and 100 yards with the +P load your are referring to.
Oh I will as soon as I have the occasion! She is a great shooter and good looking!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Another argument for reloading. In my rifle I prefer to use 357 cases only. Probably does not matter that much but I feel the chamber may not get as carboned up. No big issue of cleaning when switching rounds. I load the 357 cases for the lighter loads. Lee loading dies work just fine for me. Carbide dies are the only way to go.
They are handy rifles.

DEP

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another argument for reloading. In my rifle I prefer to use 357 cases only. Probably does not matter that much but I feel the chamber may not get as carboned up. No big issue of cleaning when switching rounds. I load the 357 cases for the lighter loads. Lee loading dies work just fine for me. Carbide dies are the only way to go.
They are handy rifles.

DEP
Thank you! I’ve started looking into reloading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
dmthomp32

Nice choice of weapon and caliber. Reloading during this crunch is a really good idea until things get back to normal.

Mine is an earlier model JM that I was l lucky enough to obtain from a friend and will remain my mainstay for whatever.

JX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts