Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out from another thread below this one that this was made in 1891.

I bought it at the local show. Well I traded another rifle and got this and some cash from the guy..I probably have around 375.00 in it now after I did some figuring on the trade..

It is a 24 inch barrel. Serial numbers match on the frame, trigger housing and stock. It is a 38WCF which I assume is a 38-40?

This is the bad some and I sure would appreciate the input what to do. Whoever owned this was really a dufus.

First thing is they relined the barrel to shoot 32-40 The liner however only goes out to about 4 inches from the end. Good suppressor I suppose:biggrin: Also they had some weird piece of a bolt, one like you would use on you car engine, stuck in front of the magazine tube follower. The original follower is fine. WHO KNOWs why they did this. They also brazed on the lifter some I suppose to reshape it for the 32-40 cartridge. I removed that mess and it appears the follower should be fine now. I hope anyway.

As far as functioning I have it working fine now I think.

So my main question is do you think it would be worth relining back to the original 38-40 if that is even possible now? Showed it to a guy today that is local here and he said he could do it. For around 300.00..He does this type of work professionally..

I may even buy a liner and Chamber tool and attempt it myself, anyone ever do that. I have done .22s but never a centerfire. I have access to a machine shop for any Machines I would need. Lathe, mill etc.

Anyway I guess just tell me what you would do with it. Maybe it is a parts gun now..I am unsure at this point..So I will take any advice you may have..

Heres a few pics. It is really a nice old original other that the idiot relining it..Oh it is also missing the original sights..Has a marbles on the rear and it had one on the front that is not even close to original so I removed it already..Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
SDM,

I would look for another .38-40 barrel and failing that a .32-20 or .44-40 barrel. I don't even know how a .32-40 loaded cartridge would have cycled in a rifle built for the three 'pistol' calibres even altering the cartridge lifter. FWIW my opinion is that your current barrel is shot. A good paper weight for your work bench. This way it should only cost you the price of a second hand barrel. Perhaps $60.00 ? Seems a pity to part the rifle out although by the time you've finished selling every part you'll sure get your money back.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update. Sorry, I was wrong, not 32-40, the guy I bought it from told me it was relined to shoot 32-20..He was wrong though about that.. I went ahead and pulled the liner out of the barrel. It is not chambered for 32-20 though as he said, that is for sure. The guy did not know what he was talking about. As far as I know the 32-20 is a necked down cartridge. The liner is for a straight wall case..Looks like maybe they were trying to shoot maybe 32 S&W maybe..Who knows

Why do say it the barrel is shot? Not doubting you just want to know why you say that...Thanks

EDIT: Well scrap that inside barrel dimension too. The inside diameter is .500 and the liner I removed is .500 OD..

That is the exact size it says you need for the 38-40 liner I was looking at. The last 4 inches out towards the end is still the original bore size though. They did not drill the last 4 inches.. That is good as I would not want to cut all the way to the end anyway. Would want to stop the liner a fraction before the end as to be a invisible repair anyway..

Probably not real easy to find a used 1889 Barrel is it?

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Probably not real easy to find a used 1889 Barrel is it?
SDM,

These old barrels are all around. I got one in .38-40 (Marlin) from Numrich about a year ago. Sounds though as if you can get away with a .38-40 reline now ? Why not take it all the way to the end of the barrel? You'll hardly see it anyway and in an old rifle with little finish left I don't think a full reline will do anything to the price, should you wish to sell, but raise it. The liner that was in it can't have been secured very well ?

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Hey SDM,

Fine looking specimen.

Pretty sure you can get her fixed up.

Keep us posted on your progress. Think it will be a worth while endeavor.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas. The liner they put in was just tapped in from the rear. They did not even remove the barrel to do it I am sure. I just tapped it out from the muzzle end with a piece of round cold rolled steel..It took only a small hammer too:biggrin:

You have to understand whoever had this and attempted to work on it was a real screwball..The liner had no solder attempt or epoxy to hold it at all..Good thing though..

I would rather keep the very end hidden but you are likely right. Not a big differance either way...

Heres the liner...

·
Registered
89 Posts
It would be a shame to part that old rifle out. Externally it looks very nice. If it was me, I'd reline the entire barrel back to 38-40, fix what needs fixing, and use the rifle for what is was intended. It should be pretty nice when your done. Good luck with it

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good work on the old girl. Glad to see a competent rescue for a deserving rifle.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, really bad news. We decided to drill the barrel all the way to the end. As I said earlier it was only drilled out about 5 inches from the end but I was going to stop just short. But decided to go ll the way through.. After doing so we seen it was off center..The barrel is actually bent..I cannot believe I have not seen this before starting this project but I did not. You would have to see it, but trust me it is toast...

Damn how I wish they would have just left this alone in the first place. From what I seen of the rifling at the barrel end that was left intact. It was pretty decent.. I am kinda down about it now..Hopefully I can find a barrel but it is going to be near impossible I believe..Otherwise I will part it I guess..

So the search begins for a barrel. I think a 1894 will also work? Am I correct there? Any leads to a possible source would be great. I am still willing to reline also so the bore does not have to be good...Thanks and looks like this is on hold for awhile..

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another update if I have not annoyed you enough already..I found a 1889 barrel in 32-20...It has to be relined too. I also do not like that it will have the incorrect caliber marking. I have another source for one too and he thinks he has one in 38 40, but he will get back to me..

The 32-20 one is only 50.00, so even if I do not use it it is a good price I think. It should be here in a few days..So I will see.. They say it is really nice Outwardly anyway...

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
What about some of the barrel makers out there? Just get a new barrel chambered in anything you want. I see an opportunity here....maybe make yourself a 38-55?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the frame on these 1889s would not ever handle a long Cartidge as the 38-55 It is for Pistol Calibers more less..Frame length is very short..Probaly 2 inches shorter than my 1893 in 30-30..

I will just have to reline the 32 20 barrel. Then keep searching for a original 38-40 and sell the relined one if I find a good replacement..

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
I will just have to reline the 32 20 barrel. Then keep searching for a original 38-40 and sell the relined one if I find a good replacement..

sharpsdressedman,

That's really good news that you've found a .32-20 barrel. You might be really pleased with the .32-20 if you get it. Maybe the bore won't be too bad. I have a .32-20 in a model 1889 and I really like shooting it. Lots of folks enjoy this calibre. For it's size it speaks with great authority and doesn't beat you around on the shoulder. Cheap to reload for as well. It'll have the correct calibre stamp on it too. Good job with the screw heads. Keep us posted. Don't give up. I want to see your targets.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
sharpsdressedman,

That's really good news that you've found a .32-20 barrel. You might be really pleased with the .32-20 if you get it. Maybe the bore won't be too bad. I have a .32-20 in a model 1889 and I really like shooting it. Lots of folks enjoy this calibre. For it's size it speaks with great authority and doesn't beat you around on the shoulder. Cheap to reload for as well. It'll have the correct calibre stamp on it too. Good job with the screw heads. Keep us posted. Don't give up. I want to see your targets.
Fitting the 32-20 barrel would bring uo the need for a 32-20 bolt, no?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
What about some of the barrel makers out there?
I've had 2 barrels made for 2 restoration projects. If you're serious about your rifle, that would be the way to go. It doesn't cost much more than a reline and you would have the correct caliber. They can also laser engrave the correct Marlin script. This is a 1893 in 38-55, but you can have an octagon barrel made for your 1889 in the 38-40.

PM me and I'll give you a good contact name and number.

DSC_0277a.JPG

View attachment DSC_0267.jpg

View attachment DSC_0273.jpg

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Man Gare... that is SWEET!! Not sure how many times I've seen it but I enjoy it every time.
Thanks, John. The 1895 restoration should be done by the end of next month. I'll post some pictures then.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
That is very nice.

But I cannot put that kind of money in it...I have quite a few Marlins and other Firearms nicer than this one. I do alot of this stuff as a Hobby. I like to fix stuff myself anyway...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts