Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably shouldn't commit such sacrilege on the Marlin board but I gotta tell ya about my new RSH toy.

Been wanting a 17HM2 in a "walking around" gun since examining Sarge's and others at Shawnee last Sept. Had a 77/22VBZ barrel relined to 17HM2 but that rifle weighs over 8.5 lbs all up and to me, that ain't a "walkin' around" rifle :roll: . Also got one of the Green Mountain 17HighStandard barrels to try on my 10/22 but so far it hasn't proved out and is still a work in progress :lol: .

Last month I found a NIB Ruger 96/22 on Gunbroker for reasonable bucks. Bo Clerke of Clerke Int'l Arms in Raton, NM has a rep for making good shootin' barrels (lots of world class shooters use his stuff) and he sells a 20" heavy barrel in 17HM2. Talked to him by phone and e-mail and he said he'd contour it to fit any stock channel I wanted. Sent him my 96/22 about Dec 15th with instructions to contour one of his barrels in a straight taper to fit my stock. Got the whole package back yesterday (including the factory 22LR barrel). Immediately installed the new Clerke barrel and a 4-14.5X40 A/O Simmons ATV scope.

Too late to get to the range yesterday and today was really "sh!tty" weather but around noon I just couldn't stand it any longer, loaded up my gear, the new gun, and headed to the range. Wasn't too cold but mist & drizzle and the wind was gusting 15-25mph and in process of changing from South to NW. Fortunately we have covered shooting benches and the rain wasn't hard enough to obscure or soak the targets :p . Was past 1PM when I got there and had to pick up grandkids from school at 3:00 so only had about an hour to play :cry: .

This thing really wants to shoot! Had some of the Hornady and CCI in 17HM2 and a box each of the green and the silver 17Aguila. No really great groups but the 17HM2 was definitely "minute of squirrel head" and the 17Aguila may work out with a little more tweaking. Some flyers and inconsistencies but next trip I'm going to take off the barrel band and try different pressure at the forearm. Best group was around a half inch, had one like that from both ammo types, and the rest were OK. The Aguila shows promise but I think the Mach2 is better. Didn't try anything beyond 50yds yet, I'll do that next trip :wink: .

Also have a used 96/22 stock coming that I plan to make extensive modifications to. Will slim down the grip and forearm, square the butt, and maybe add a cheekpiece :?: .

Anyway, here's pics from today -

·
Registered
251 Posts
No sacrilege near as I can tell........I like Ruger. Over the last year I've built 4 10'22's:
22 in 20 inch bull
22 in 20 inch fluted
22 stinger bull bbl
22 short stainless bull bbl

and I'm plannin on another stinger.
I think Rugers are accurate, they're damn sure reliable, and they make great squirrel rifles.

I want a 17H2 in the worst way(maybe 2 or 3). I've never held a Ruger Lever but I bet it's a nice gun.

Honestly I own more Rugers than I do Marlins. I am gonna make my first HM2 a Marlin 917 though.

Are there any squirrels in Arkansas? (jus kiddin)

·
Registered
932 Posts
oldfart said:
I want a 17H2 in the worst way(maybe 2 or 3).

What's this? You belittle, demean, and insult me because I have and like a 17HM2 and now I find that it was all nothing more than mere jealousy?

Nobody,
That's a nice looking rifle and it looks to me like your getting good groups with it. I would like to have one of those 96/22's chambered in 22 short (my favorite squirrel round). Now that would be the cat's ass!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sarge said:
oldfart said:
I want a 17H2 in the worst way(maybe 2 or 3).

What's this? You belittle, demean, and insult me because I have and like a 17HM2 and now I find that it was all nothing more than mere jealousy?

Nobody,
That's a nice looking rifle and it looks to me like your getting good groups with it. I would like to have one of those 96/22's chambered in 22 short (my favorite squirrel round). Now that would be the cat's ass!

Of course it was jealousy....unmitigated.

actually I think the only thing you would have to do to a 96/22 to make it a short gun would be buy a barrel and mag. If they make a 22 short barrel for it that is.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
old fart wrote -
actually I think the only thing you would have to do to a 96/22 to make it a short gun would be buy a barrel and mag. If they make a 22 short barrel for it that is.
I haven't been able to find a barrel with a twist especially for the .22 Short (1:20 or thereabouts) by any of the major mfg'rs. A factory 96/22 barrel or any of the myriad 10/22 barrels available would be good candidates for a reline with the Redman 1:20 twist .22cal liner from Brownells. A competent smith could reline and chamber for .22 Short pretty easily.

Some standard 1:16 twist barrels shoot shorts pretty well and others don't :? . If I were going with a dedicated "short" rifle, think I'd want the slower twist.

Another problem might be a magazine that will feed the short cartridge. Think Volquartsen includes a modified mag with their .22 Short conversion kit for the 10/22 but as far as I know they don't offer it separately. Also, the 10/22 magazine isn't an exact fit for the 96/22 although it will work. The 96/22 and 77/22 mags are much closer fits.

In any case, you're talking considerable $'s spent. That may or may not be a deterrent, depending on how badly you want it :wink: . At the very least, you'd have a pretty unique shooter and that in itself might be enough justification :p . You just may have given me an idea for a new project :twisted: . I'm sure my wife will love that :shock:

I do have a Marlin 39A that does real well with CCI short HPs out to 30yds or so. I am reluctant to use them a lot tho, due to possible chamber crud buildup or "fire cutting" erosion at front of cartridge case. I don't believe a few occasional shots do any harm but I certainly wouldn't use it as a dedicated .22 Short rifle :!: .

·
Registered
251 Posts
If the 10/22 mag will fit the 96/22 at all then were good to go Nobody39....Rimfire Sports and Custom sells em seperate.........but they do cost 29 bucks.....a little on the steeeeep side.

If a 10/22 barrel will fit a 96/22 Volqsquarten has one in stainless with a 1:18 twist for 100 bucks.....it's in their bargain bin. I just built a 10/22 with one. Also on the Green Mountain home site if you look real hard they make one with a similar twist. Nothing specifically for the 96/22 though.......that I have found anyway.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Come to think of it......when I bought that Volqsquarten 10/22 barrel I also picked one up in 22 short for a 77/22.....surely one of them will fit. If not I guess you can work on TWO new projects and the wife will be happier still!!!!

Be warned though......whereas a green mountain barrel will slip right in the receiver, not so with the Volqsquarten!!!! They advise that you might have to do some "tapping". I found it to be more of a "pounding". About 200 good solid licks with a hammer(with a wood piece on the bbl of course).......I was afraid I might crack the receiver. I installed the v-block even though the only way that bbl is coming out is with a cutting torch.....you have to start aligned cuz there ain't no twisting for alignment later on!!!!!!!!

A thumbhole stock....a Clark trigger group.......I put on a Simmons 22Mag scope(to stay not too far above the bore with the optics) and SHAZZAM!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Andrew said:
Green Mountain offers a 1:20 twist, 22 Short barrel for the 10/22.~Andrew

Yep.....I just went there......they have one with the same twist for a 77/22 too. So many guns......so little money!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andrew, Old Fart -

You guys are both right, guess I didn't look in the right places for the barrel :oops: .

The 10/22 barrel fits a 96/22 receiver exactly, same shank diameter/length, only need to cut a second extractor notch/groove (easily done with a dremel). If those 1:20 barrels are actually chambered for the .22Short that'd be a great way to get a dedicated "short" gun.

The BX-1 (10/22) mag fits the 96/22 well enough to feed properly. I just tried it in mine. Only thing is the rounded bottom protrudes approx 3/32" but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The 96/22-77/22 mags have flat bottom and fit flush with the mag well bottom. Brownells also has the modified Vq 22short mags for $31 ($24.75 dealer cost).

This is looking more and more like a project I might get into :lol: . I may just have to move into the camper for a few days (weeks??) after the wife finds out about it :roll: . At least until she calms down ("but Honey, I've had this a loooong time, the BBT was just bringing some stuff back that I sent out for repair, and the vault looks more crowded because I don't have everything stacked neatly") :shock: .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts