Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently sent out a rifle receiver to NEF for installation of their new 7.62x39 barrel. Came back Monday, without sights, but with scope base. Today my customer installed a red dot sight and fired it a bit. At 65 yards it is doing well for the first try. It will not fire Wolf ammo but likes Federal, PMC and handloads. I will try to keep you posted as things progress. RJSnow

G

·
R. J. Snow,

I was thinking about getting the same and have heard that they are .310" bores. I'm curious why they won't shoot Wolf ammo. I plan to handload for mine but though the cheap stuff might be good to break-in a barrel with.

Bill

PS: Is that a 22" barrel?

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
22"....unfortunetly NEF/H&R specifically states not to shoot milsurp ammo in all of their rifles in their owners literature, whether it shoots good is another question. Those 7.62x39 NEF barrels that I've read about do have an extractor instead of an ejector, so failures to extract hopefully won't be an issue with the cheap ammo....and they do have .310" bores....FWIW.

tim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the delay in response. Owner of the firearm is reloading his ammo with .310 Hornady bullets and it is shooting well. We also tried some Speer .308 125 grain TNT bullets and they shot to the same point of impact at 65 yards. He is using H322 powder.

As far as the Wolf ammo goes, I believe the primers are of the military style and that the hammer drop on the NEF is insufficient to fire.

G

·
Thanks for the info. My handi-rifle has such a tough trigger pull, I thought the hammer spring was too heavy. That's one of the things I wanted them to do if I send it in for a new barrel or two.

Loading some 7.62X39 for my friends SKS, the highest velocity and most accurate load I came up with was 29.0grns H322 with the 123 Hdy. SP. Glad to hear that the .308 bullets shoot well also, I have two other rifles that use those and plenty of bullets to try.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Blue Moon, do your own trigger job, it's easy if you know how and the instruction links below are all ya need to know, just need the few tools mentioned. Perklo's site has the best graphics on R&R, Raynor's instructions are the simplest. Tween the 2, you should be all set. I've done lots of these, the first one was a bit scary, the second one was a piece of cake.....I didn't built the jig that Perko recommends, it can be done without it...You can easily attain a 2-2½lb trigger that is glass smooth and breaks like glass with no creep, with just a bit of honing of the trigger and hammer contact points, and a little smoothing of the pins and bores. Don't go overboard on the honing, it'll get too light. If you break a spring or loose a part, Brownell's or Numrich has the parts and they're inexpensive, so nothing is irreversable.

Tim :wink:

http://www.perkloafm.com/

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=52341

·
Registered
243 Posts
Went to NEF website and didn't see accessary barrel listed for the 7.62x39. Why are they not listed on the website? Are these barrels a special run? I think this would make a great deer rifle for my daughter.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
There are a lot of barrels not listed on the web site. 7.62x39 is part number R03490, a 22" standard contour. It's also available as a complete rifle, SB2-762.

Other barrels that aren't listed are 204 ruger, 500S&W and 22-250, the 22-250 being available in blued or stainless. There are also 204 ruger, 223 and 22-250 available in 24" fluted.

Tim

G

·
I emailed H&R about the 7.62X39 barrel and a .357mag or max barrel. Got a reply the next day that said no problem for the .357 (didn't say mag or max) and my rifle had to have a certain newer serial # for the 7.62X39. Mine was new enough but I'm still sitting on the fence about both barrels. Not sure about the X39 and might just get a lever for the .357. I know several people have had their .357 handi barrels re-chambered for the max but still don't know if the factory does it.

Bill

Quick: thanks for the info about doing my own handi trigger job. I downloaded it to my hard-drive.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
You're welcome, Bill!! The 357 Barrels are Mags, they sold Maxis at one time, but no more, they've gone the way of the .35 Whelen, .444 Marlin and 7x57. :cry: It's not much of a job to ream to Max, only takes a few turns on a hand reamer, I think it was Leftoverdj that has the reamer for rent for very little, a bunch of guys at GBO have done it, in fact, my .357 Maxi was done with DJ's reamer by the fella I bought it from. The .357mag's throat is long enough to shoot 360 Dan Wesson ammo just like it is, if you have a mind to.

As for the 7.62x39, don't plan on shooting cheap milsurp in it, those that have tried had problems with failures to fire due to hard primers and ejection issues. The latest thoughts are to rechamber it to 7.62x54R or .303 Brit!!!

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts