Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So, I've got this marlin 336 in 35 rem on the way. I'm excited, I want to cut it down to size a bit and use it as a rifle for wild boar in tight spaces. Probably shorten the barrel to 18" and the LOP to 12.5". Short and handy, makes for a lot of bacon!

Now, I'm a wee bit recoil sensitive. Not when hunting, i can't really notice it then, but when practicing it messes up my shooting. So, I'm thinking of investing in a good recoil pad for this one. And it must be red! Few things in life are as nice as a well oiled walnut stock and a red recoil pad.

What are my options? Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know about a Red recoil pad but I recently put a Black Pachmayr Decelerator 1" pad on my 336 and it turned it into a softy. I hardly notice the recoil now. I have used Brown Pachmayr pads in the past to match my Walnut rifle stocks.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I put a white line pachmayr on my 307 and I can shoot it quite extensively now. Before 10 shots and I was done. Didnt shorten the stock at all

Reactions: Spån

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
At the gunsmith right now getting recrowned

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
How much did you shorten the stock. If any?
Depends on the fit. If the gun feels a bit short then you do not. Most factory guns fit me pretty well so that I usually maintain close to factory specs, Subtract the thickness of the plastic buttplate from that of the recoil pad and you get the same length of pull when you cut off the difference. Basically you are talking about a personal thing as some like a slightly longer stock. In MN you really should also remember that a good pull for summer short sleeve weather is not a good one when wearing the warmer hunting jackets needed in November. Nothing wrong with a slip on pad for sight in and non hunting use either. Often work well by taking off the plastic buttplate and replacing it in November.

DEP

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Before you cut it, you say you don't notice while shooting game. Lot of folks experience that. I know I do. My .32 Special with hand loads kicks very hard off the bench.

I don't know what kind of practice you do, but if you do it off a sit down bench that is the most felt recoil of any position to shoot in.

Lead sled and such comes to mind.

But another choice is readily available and that is to build a bench tall enough to shoot it standing up.

Back to recoil pads look no further than what trap, skeet and sporting clays use. They shoot thousands of round offhand of course but a 12ga with an 1 1/8 ounce of shot does still back up a gun.

Research that and I'm sure you'll be happy.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I put a white line pachmayr on my 307 and I can shoot it quite extensively now. Before 10 shots and I was done. Didnt shorten the stock at all
I really like those white line pads. They are soft enough to take the kick out of the recoil yet tough enough to last.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't have many opinions on recoil pads, but as far as the barrel goes I'd take it down to 16.5". It'll handle that much better in the thick stuff. I only hunt with two guns, one's a 336 in .35 rem cut down to 16.5" and the other's a Ruger Gunsite Scout, that barrel came from the factory at 16.5". I've noticed an extra inch or two catches a lot more and gets pretty annoying when the guns hanging from a sling on your back.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have many opinions on recoil pads, but as far as the barrel goes I'd take it down to 16.5". It'll handle that much better in the thick stuff. I only hunt with two guns, one's a 336 in .35 rem cut down to 16.5" and the other's a Ruger Gunsite Scout, that barrel came from the factory at 16.5". I've noticed an extra inch or two catches a lot more and gets pretty annoying when the guns hanging from a sling on your back.
I'd take it down to 16.5" if that was legal. Shortest hunting barrel in Sweden is 17.9". So the 18.5" cut is to be on the safe side depending on who is measuring it..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a nice one! The pic is not mine, I believe I found it on a google search for shortened marlin 336.

Anyone got an idea about the make of recoil pad?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have installed 2 limbsaver grind to fit pads, 1" thick on my Marlins. One on my 30-30 and one on my 45-70. (See how the install went here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/90701-336a-limbsaver-butt-pad-install.html
The limbsaver works great for recoil, which is what it is designed to do. I will say though that I found it really hard to grind the limbsaver to a smooth finish, up close it had a slightly "ripped" looking texture. You can only see that from up close though so for me it's not a big deal. I don't know if other grind to fit pads do that as well. Also the material and texture of the limbsaver is a kind of soft rubber that doesn't slip over clothes as much as a hard rubber does. The effect of this is that the pad doesn't always slide over clothes smoothly, it does sometimes stick a bit.

Reactions: Lucky1 and Spån

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Probably a pachmayr decelerator in red.

Reactions: Spån

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just put a Limbsaver grind to fit on my chop down 35 project gun yesterday. I cut the stock an inch shorter but of course when I added the pad it made it as long as the original so I cut the stock another inch shorter today. Since I hunt in cold weather with heavy clothes I want the stock shorter even though I am a big guy. Shorter is better than too long.

Shown before I cut another inch off it....

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If you need a recoil pad on a 35 Remington, you're more than a "wee bit" sensitive?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
span, looks like no answers ,i spent hours on the net looking for a grind to fit RED recoil pad for my 35 ,the length of pull is a little short for me ,PLUS i like to be able to lean it against a tree or something without it scooting away from me,i hope somebody comes along with an answer ,i sure couldn't find it thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.