Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a pair of 8x42 binos.First up is the vortex diamondback and second is the bushnell legend hd.I Can get the bushy for around 219.00 and vortex around 199.00.Ive already got a 10x42 weaver with bak4 prisms.Love them but are shaky and a little too bulky for deer hunting.Out of these 2 choices what and why would you pick them.Not into expensive leica,swaros or the like.Thanks.Scott.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Lots of recent technology in optics, good for the consumer. And I'll probably tell you a lot more than you want to know...

I like HD glass, however, HD glass alone does not support the entire spectrum of any optic. I won't go into the study I conducted when I purchased a spotting scope last year, to say the least there are many internal dynamics that form sharpness, color rendition and a good viewing field. Clarity is the operative factor.

Let me ask a few questions then I'll share my opinion;

Can you put you hands on both brands and look thru them (not in a store display like Gander Mountain or Bass Pro) outside either in the shade or at dusk? This is important. The independent dealer would probably let you do this, and would probably give you a good deal on the optic of your choice. I do not suggest buying optics online unless you are purchasing top tear, Swaro, Leica etc.

Your Weaver bino will help you in this decision... can you take your Weaver model with you and check clarity? Clarity is much more important than magnification.

Check field of view at any given distance preferably greater than 100 yards, edge to edge clarity, color rendition, sharpness etc.

I'll stop with the technique stuff, now for what it's worth;

Both brands you mentioned are fine for your needs... and I might gravitate to the Bushnell brand. It does have HD glass but that's not conclusive. you have to consider prism quality, surface coatings, which and how many surfaces are coated, field of view etc.

I like Bushnell for several reasons... recently purchased by ATK, who also owns Savage, Blackhawk! and Weaver. So we have a manufacturer. We have no manufacturer with Vortex, just a name who contracts with various optics makers. this tells me their optics can be top quality made in Japan or in three or five years made elsewhere. Perhaps I'm a bit cynical but it is a factor I consider when writing a check.

That being said, Vortex is producing good, quality optics for the time being. Their warranty is excellent as is the overall value... but then Bushnell has much the same attributes. So, after we chase several rabbits around the barn, I would choose Bushnell.

I would also say, take a look at the next level up in both brands.

Let us know what you decide,

Ss

·
Registered
390 Posts
As already mentioned, clarity and sharpness are the important things to look for. I’ve seen 100 dollar binocs as good as 1000 dollars ones but also seen 100 dollar ones as well as 1000 dollar ones that were not even good paper weights. That’s why you always buy in person if want good ones. Do the old 5 point image check, which is simply pick a small easy to focus on target that only fills a small portion of the optic sight. Place the target in dead center, check each barrel to see if the target is in the SAME position as well as sharp. Do the same at the 12:00 , 3:00, 6:00, 9:00 o’clock positions. If the target does not align in both barrels at all positions as well as sharp, try another pair. If the it passes this test, do the line test, which is simply a defined vertical line like a pole or wall edge. Slowly move the vertical line from one side to the other and watch for distortion of the line from top to bottom. Do the same with a horizontal line. Should be very little distortion and/or similar distortion in both barrels, both horizontal and vertical. If images don’t align over one another in both barrels it makes no difference how clear each lens is, your final image will be somewhat to a lot blurred. High prices or name brands don’t always assure the best quality so you may have to check out several pairs of each model to find ones properly aligned that will give the best performance .

·
Registered
395 Posts
Leupold just came out with some new light weight bino's
might be worth a look
and I agree, never buy based on price or name brand, don't care what anyonbe says, sold optic's for 11+ yrs, from several grand a pair to cheap junk
my best advice is LOOK thru them before you buy, look for edge to edge clarity and focus
meaning GOOD glass will not start to loose focus or seem off on the edge's, will have a solid same picture thru the glass edge to edge
after that look at how the focus adjustments are, do they fit you well, line up with your fingers, trun easy ot snug, too tight or too loose is BAD
next look at how a strap or harness mounts to them, are the lops cheasy? and weak looking!
you already know about what size and weight you are looking for
99.9 % of all brand name bino's today are water proof and fog proof, and very few will not fix if they fail, and any price range that can happen
had a pair of 4 grand binos fail on a trip to Alberta second day of a hunt?? (won' t bash the brand, as that can happen)and had a extra pair of 200 buck Nikons that worked the rest of that hunt just fine!(I tend to takean extra everything when I can on trips LOl)
over the yrs in my store I have sent back every brand name there is for a failure of some sort NOT customer related, same on rifle scopes
cannot honeslty say one brand name or another had more or less failures!
just seemed to be random
iof I had to pick a least returned name it was Leupold, and MIGHT have sold more of them than the opthers too
BUT as well all know every company changes things from time to time, and thus? things made in 2006 even same models, and same model made in 2014, might be made differently, assembled differently, or?? neweer parts??
but one thing I do know is, higher the price tags were , the better the service was on returns LOL
must factor that into there prices ? HAHA!
best advice again is go to a BIG store, Cabela's Bass Pro, and look thru a BUNCH of bino's
and buy the one's that you like best in your price range, or a haair above, good glass can last for yrs and yrs and yrs!
and even be worth more in 25 yrs than you paid now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everbody for the most informative replies.Always nice to see the length at which people will go to be helpful.I think Im going to have to make a trip to Cabelas for first hand looks.Once again thank you very much for the repliesScott.

·
Registered
395 Posts
that will be your honest best bet
Something you might do, is after you go there and see and look thru models, is go home and look online for better prices??
many times left over models can be had(need to maybe look thru them after getting and if not happy send back ASAP)
but nothing beats holding and looking thru glas before you buy it!
best of luck, let us know what you end up with

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello everybody.Just a little update on this thread.I ended up buying the Bushnells.Got them at amazon at the amazing price of ...............youre not gonna believe it...............$117.00.No kidding.For this price I doubt that I will want or need the Vortex.Some one selling the last demo unit.Usually I always hear of good deals like this.The binos came with everything in plastic wrappers.Nice touch having a full bino harness included.If these have ever been used I cant tell it.As far as the view.It blows away the 10x42 weaver kaspa Im using now.Thanks for the information everyone posted.I guess I got lucky this time.Thanks.Scott.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Last year I was in a outfitter shop in Montana I made several trips to the door looking for detail on certain trees on the mountain side at various distances. After sampling all he had three times I walked out with the bushnells. I would have paid more but I couldn't beat the pair I chose on detail at any distance with what he had in stock. I don't remember what all there was to choose from but I was plenty happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.