Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the local gun shop and saw a used Marlin XT laminated stock, blued barrel, clip fed, bolt action .22mag with scope bases. looked in great shape. It has the extra piece on the trigger that must also be depressed , so I presume this is a decent trigger setup. They priced it at $175.00 Is this a good gun at that price. I already have a Marlin bolt tube feed .22mag, early 80's gun. It seems Marlin and Savage are the two choices for affordable .22mag bolt guns.
Would really like a CZ but it's a lot more dough. Any thoughts? Don't know how long it will stay around in that gun shop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the marlin xt22 mtsl in 22 mag and love it it seems to like the Winchester silver box I think they are the 40 grain groups at about 1/2 dollar at 50 yds. The price is very good get yourself a Mueler scope and go to it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hope you can find some ammo. Good luck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My son had a xt 22 mag and it was really accurate and you can't go wrong for the money.
The CZ's are accurate as it get's they are worth the extra money .I had a 17 HMR in a CZ sub MOA groups at 100yds 1" groups at 150 yds.I would never thought it would have shot that well but it did.
My son's XT 22 mag was very accurate rifle and they won't break the bank,half the money of the CZ.
175 bucks is a great price .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went over and bought it this morning. Made in Kentucky so I assume it's a Remlin. I must admit it's pretty nice.
Very nice brown laminated looking stock. Trigger was awesome. No slop and very light. Not a scratch on stock or metal.
Took it home and swabbed the bore, almost nothing on patches. Looked down bore with light and all looks well. Bought a set of Leupold rings to mount to bases already on it. Have a scope to stick on it. Gun store has a 30 day warranty so if it's messed up, just return it. So will try it out next week with Hornady, Remington, CCI pointy polymer tipped 30 & 33 gr bullets. So, I have $200.00 in this rig. Have original packing box with 2 mags and lock, etc. Hope all is well. Hope it's a fair price.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's a great price .The XT my son had was 180 bucks new but it had the crappy plastic stock it was also a Remington made gun and shot great.Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
I bought one new at wally, it was $219,syn stock it shoots better than me, the only problem I had was I had to order two offset scope rings to get my eye relief right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Those pointy polymer tips are not the best for finding out if it shoots great. Don't seem to like those much try something else to decide and than you can try those.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
When I had mine (before the great ammo shortage) it shot CCI Maxi-Max 40gr HP's the best. Not being able to find mag ammo for more than a year, I finally sold the Marlin......

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took it to the range for a test drive. The first scope I put on it wasn't working well. Focus issues at higher power. Took it off and put on a Leupold 2.5-8 vx-3. Shoots good with Hornady vmax 30 gr. Shooting at 50-60 yards groups were dime size. I think I will be happy with this rig. Wish the trigger was a bit smoother, it's not to bad as is though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts