Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am down in Florida where the deer are the size of dogs and hogs are the size of Buicks. I am working on an all around hunting load that will take me out to around 130 yards without ripping my shoulder in half or forcing me to buy more stuff ( I have 500 rounds of Penn 300gr hard cast already). I am using Starline brass, Penn hard cast 300gr and IMR 4198. So far these are the loads I have cooked up that have been fairly accurate when shot at 110 yards.
30gr imr 4198
33gr imr 4198

My next two loads will be 36gr and 38gr. I would like to get around 1500 or 1600 fps is this a good start:questionmark:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good start. 1500 fps will give you a PBR of 134 yds when sighted in @ 115 yds, and will not wreak havoc on your shoulder.

A crony will tell you when you are there.

Point Blank is a free ballistic calculator. It will tell you all kinds of things about your load if you know the Velocity and B.C.

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
Hard cast is a solid place to start. Powder is a good one, but you may want to try another if available.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Are the bullets gas checked and did you slug your barrel? If you slugged the barrel, are the bullets .001 to .002 bigger?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
You can easily kill pigs and deer with that bullet and minimum published loads. Max loads will drop Grizzlies and Bison. A 200# pig won't stand a chance even with minimum published loads.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I do not know how long your barrel is, but Hodgdon's web site says that 33.8 grains of IMR4198 is a starting load for the 300 grain cast. This is listed at 1649 fps with their tested 22 inch barrel. If you are happy where you are accuracy wise and you may already be a bit past your target for velocity, your load work up chores may be done (but it would be good to chrony that load or just shoot several groups at several different ranges to see how the rainbow runs).

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not know how long your barrel is, but Hodgdon's web site says that 33.8 grains of IMR4198 is a starting load for the 300 grain cast. This is listed at 1649 fps with their tested 22 inch barrel. If you are happy where you are accuracy wise and you may already be a bit past your target for velocity, your load work up chores may be done (but it would be good to chrony that load or just shoot several groups at several different ranges to see how the rainbow runs).

Happy hunting!
Thanks farmersteve, I do have a 22 inch barrel so I think I'll work up a couple more loads and see where my accuracy is best. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts