Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Model 39AS manufactured in 1993. I need to know something about the takedown feature of this gun.

I found a paragraph in "The Book" telling how to break it down but I am still not sure.

I opened the lever and removed the side screw but the action still seems very tight. I attempted to move the right side to the right away from the left side but without success.

Did I miss something, are do you think the action is just that tight. I do not want to damage the gun so I thought I better ask you two where I went wrong.

Thanks, djh

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a 39AS made in 1992 and I take mine apart with the lever in the closed position. I don't think it will come apart with the lever opened. When putting back together I start out with the lever closed and open it maybe 1/4 and it goes right in the rest of the way. Just my technique. Parley

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is a process I came up with in the past and am posting it with the hope it may help you.

If you look at the parting line on the right side of the receiver you will see a half moon area that projects into the other half of the receiver. This projection has a lip on it that is the first thing to engage when putting the rifle together and the last thing to separate when taking the rifle apart.

First, make absolutely sure your rifle is unloaded then place hammer at half-cock or full-cock position. Open lever enough so back end of firing pin is exposed from bolt and then close lever fully or at least enough so bolt is fully forward. Unscrew take-down screw enough so that it is completely disengaged from the other half of the receiver so that it feels loose (wobbles around) as most 39A's (the older ones at least) are not made to have the screw completely removed.

After you have backed off the take-down screw all the way grasp the fore end about half way down the wood with your left hand and place the butt stock between the side of your chest and the upper arm of your right arm. Be sure to keep a firm grip on both ends of the rifle from here on out. Position the butt stock forward or back until the heel of your right hand will strike the separation line of the right side of the receiver. Open the right hand and arch the fingers back so the heel of the hand will strike the receiver first, then pivoting your lower arm at your elbow smack the receiver smartly. It may take several blows of increasing striking force to jar the halves enough that they will separate and if you keep a good enough grip on the fore end and butt stock you won't drop anything when the halves do separate.

Once the halves have opened enough (butt to muzzle) you should be able to separate the rifle into the components shown above. NOTE: the bolt will stay in place in the left half of the receiver until you remove it. Once the rifle is broken down remove the bolt by pushing it towards the receiver (to compress the ejector) and sliding it rearwards until it stops. Now lift the bolt out keeping track of the firing pin which just lies loose in the top of the bolt. That should do it.

If you want to clean the barrel from the breech end (as it should be) you may want to lock down the ejector so it is out of the way. Do this by pushing the ejector arm all the way down and with a second screwdriver turn the slotted rivet a little bit to hold it in place. ( make sure you release the ejector, and that you line up the rivet slot with the ejector arm, when you reassemble the rifle or it will not function properly )

Reassemble in the opposite order of disassembly and make sure the bolt is all the way forward and firing pin is in its rearward position before trying to put the receiver halves together. It is really much easier than it sounds, especially after you do it a couple of times. Hope this helps

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ParleyBaer and plinker Tom:

Thank you for your assistance, it was very informative and when applied as described the gun was very easy to get apart.

I thank you again for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts