Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a used Marlin 336cs model at a pawn shop. Seems to be a 88 model as serial # starts with 12. Stock has a few dings in it but bluing is nice. When I first through it up to look down the sights I noticed the hood was bent to the right a little bit. Can that be straightened out and is the gun worth $250 out the door. The other thing I'm not sure about is that when you lever the action back I noticed the slide hits the top of the hammer and the finish is worn off. Gun has not been tapped for scope. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
$250 is a good price. The hood can be replaced. Receiver should be tapped for a scope, but with little screws in the holes. The bolt has to hit the hammer to cock it. That gun will soon be gone, I hope it goes with you.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
If it has the "JM" stamp on the barrel, it is fixable and worth the asking price. It's worth $250 as a parts gun if nothing else. I'd pick it up if it were me.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would have already brought it home.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Welcome to MO from Micanopy Florida. You don't say where you are or what the gun shoots but even without picture I would guess that is a good buy. Now post some pics or tell us where it is and someone will go get it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A big welcome from Georgia! GO for it! :tee:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Easy decision - BUY IT !

:)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
bassman1, just incase you missed something in these post, Buy that Marlin ASAP. Minor dings as such are character marks not abuse and if needed can be repaired. Dan-The -Man has already answered the questions about the reciever being tapped and the hammer so I won't go over that again. Just go get that Marlin and give it a good home. Take care, John.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
If the hood looks to be bent to the right, take it off and see if the sight looks the same way.

Lot of Marlins got their sights indexed off a little. Not hard to correct but still a issue though the gun will shoot straight.

I'd still buy the gun at that price.

·
Registered
435 Posts
for $250?......I would have laid the cash on the table, took the gun out of his hands so fast it would have ripped his arm off...then I would have beaten the man with the bloody stump before he could havee changed his mind.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wow, $250 is a good price. The hood is not a biggie.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to post a new thread but can't find where to post it so I'll add it here. Someone please tell me where to click for post new thread.
Looking everywhere for a decent deal on a Marlin 30/30. Found 3 today in my area and all have different - and +. A 1974 336A with scope that is well used for $300.
A limited edition Deer Hunter model that I understand was for Otasco stores $300.
Then a really nice 1984 Mountain man edition that's like new except for a scratch on the butt stock with tasco scope. Still has marlin sticker on forearm stock. Doesn't show any sign of having shells put in it and inside of barrel shines like new for $250.
I was wanting something with walnut stock and checkering but haven't found it. For the money I feel the Mountain man edition is the best buy for a nearly new gun. What do ya'll think.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Where are you located?

​Each and every one here will aid you in your purchase and most likely buy the ones you don't

·
Registered
990 Posts
Dang man, your about to start a stampede if'n we can ever figure out where your at. Those all seem to be pretty good prices to me. That Mountain Man, take a good look at the wood, even though it was commemorative model, I think the one I saw had maybe a dark stained Birch stock instead of walnut? the Mountain was also made by Marlin for OTASCO. So, you found a couple of rifles made for OTASCO, Oklahoma Tire and something - something. So let me guess are you in Oklahoma?

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Thats my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts