Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking at a Model 1893 rifle; oct. barrel; crescent butt plate; .30-30; s/n 177716. Can anyone tell me year of manufacture? I've done search and DOB site and nothing on this.

Seller wants $600; almost no bluing; good tight action; good wood; bore slightly frosted but good lands and grooves; good crown. I'm guessing price is fair, but I'm pretty new to this as this would only be my 2nd. Marlin lever.

Thoughts appreciated,
Denni8s

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Dennis,

It looks like it was made in 1899, with almost no blue I'd try to get it down a little, its in the ballpark. Thats just me

Clark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I'll see how things go with this. I really enjoy knowing mfg. dates of these things. I really like the rifle.

I notice it's stamped smokeless powder. Are these usually still safe for shooting off-the shelf 30-30 rounds?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Yes it's safe as long as it is in good cond. I have 12 1893s and shoot them all.
If you like it! Get it
Clark

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think alot of it is how the rifle appeals to the holder also. I paid 450 for my first 1893 that was a real beater as far as looks (all case color gone and over cleaned , splotchy barrel and poorly fit stock with cracked forearm) but the action was tight and bore good. It is one of my favorite rifles .As far as i'm concerned i like em in the well-used look better than the pristine, little or never used look . I like a gun to look like its done some work in its time and not hung up or stored away never to be used for its intended purpose. makes me wonder what all the gun has been through. just my collecting opinion but i have bought several other 1893 an 94s that are not even close to pristine but im not afraid to shoot them either for fear of messin up the look. if its worth it to you and its not all rusted up pitted an broken and is all original and not altered i think it may be close in value. blue book has it between 550.00 and 725.00 in the 40 to 50 % finish if it is take down model, carbine with saddle ring or musket,it could be worth more. How the hell does a book know how i feel what something is worth to me anyway! Hey its a Marlin too! what else can i say ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts