Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a like new 336SS 30-30 last night & it has an aftermarket Limb saver butt pad on it. I like my Marlin rifles just like they came from the factory, so I need to find an original OEM Marlin plastic butt plate for it. My 336SS was made in 2008. Does anyone know where I can get a new plate for it??? I searched eBay, Midway USA, Numerich Gun Parts Corp, & a few other places. Didn't find anything. That limb saver pad is ugly & doesn't even fit correctly. I want it off my nice pretty rifle!

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
I am not going to give you any more help as I am not your wife TG maybe you can get her to check for lower prices.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Golphin, notice in my title that I'm looking for an OEM part, not a reproduction. Reason being is that the reproductions don't always fit correctly. I'm extremely particular about my rifles. I saw all those listings you just shared with me. I'm glad you're not my wife, Lord knows I don't need another one. Maybe yours can teach you some manners.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
There's no guarantee that an original plate will fit your stock. Buttstock dimensions varied, even within the same calender year.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Golphin, notice in my title that I'm looking for an OEM part, not a reproduction. Reason being is that the reproductions don't always fit correctly. I'm extremely particular about my rifles. I saw all those listings you just shared with me. I'm glad you're not my wife, Lord knows I don't need another one. Maybe yours can teach you some manners.
Sounds like you need the manners.....Golphin was only trying to help.

I was about to offer an extra one that I have...

View attachment 116503

......offer withdrawn.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Hey, for what its worth, my son has a 2002 336SS and it has a factory rubber pad on it (similar to the ones on the new Remlins). I think those later 336s may not have had the hard plastic buttplate! I'm not sure on that, but my son's is definitely factory. Hope that helps. John

Reactions: seabeejason

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, for what its worth, my son has a 2002 336SS and it has a factory rubber pad on it (similar to the ones on the new Remlins). I think those later 336s may not have had the hard plastic buttplate! I'm not sure on that, but my son's is definitely factory. Hope that helps. John
You are correct. It had a pad. It's a brown(ish) one that has the horse & cowboy logo on it. I have a late 90's model that has one of those instead of the black hard plastic one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you need the manners.....Golphin was only trying to help.

I was about to offer an extra one that I have...

View attachment 116503

......offer withdrawn.
I am not going to give you any more help as I am not your wife TG maybe you can get her to check for lower prices.
That is the quote from Golphin. I fail to not see the demeaning nature in that remark. Excuse me for being a "newby" that doesn't take crap off the "veterans" in a forum.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Go to our trading post and post a wanted there. Use the proper section you'll get results faster.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yea I'm with JBledsoe, I have several, I WAS going to offer to send one.
After your comments about Golphin, I think I'll just let them accumulate
some more dust. I stand by my Fl people.
Joe

·
Registered
964 Posts
Good intel from some fine Floridians, might come in handy when one is contemplating pulling the trigger on a nice one with a broken or missing plate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I'm with JBledsoe, I have several, I WAS going to offer to send one.
After your comments about Golphin, I think I'll just let them accumulate
some more dust. I stand by my Fl people.
Joe
What "comments"? The ones where I defended myself? Yeah, okay. Jeez, I've never gotten so much crap off people for not holding my tongue when someone decides to be a smartass for no reason. I was just looking for friendly advice. Looks like I came to the wrong place.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
Your okay seabeejason. I was trying to help you and poking at you at the same time. This is a great sight and laid back and most all of us poke fun at each other. Sometimes in writing without a voice or face it can come over bad. All these guys and gals will bend over backwards to help you anytime anywhere. It is a great place to learn but don't take anything personal we are a bunch of hard heads and disagree more than agree most days. Wait until you dip into the ASYLUM. Move own and hang around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your okay seabeejason. I was trying to help you and poking at you at the same time. This is a great sight and laid back and most all of us poke fun at each other. Sometimes in writing without a voice or face it can come over bad. All these guys and gals will bend over backwards to help you anytime anywhere. It is a great place to learn but don't take anything personal we are a bunch of hard heads and disagree more than agree most days. Wait until you dip into the ASYLUM. Move own and hang around.
Thank you Golphin. It did come across that way, but I now realize after this post that you are a good dude. I appreciate the clarification & I apologize for my comments. It is hard to gauge the intent of a statement on a forum sometimes, especially when you're new to posting there. I know there are good folks on here, which is why I use this place as a resource for my Marlin needs.

Have a great holiday. Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
You will be very lucky to find any butt plate to fit perfect. Our resident Marlin man from the old Marlin co. will tell you that they were fit to each rifle individually. Ive put on a few in my time, and with out having to sand your stock to fit and refinish. A over sized reproduction one that you sand down to fit your stock might be better. A white 5 gal. bucket makes a good spacer material. What Im getting at is. Its hit and miss on finding a original to fit properly.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Seabeejasonnim going gumshoe in Melbourne tomorrow I'll keep an eye for your buttplate. Try wildwestguns.com and a few other custom shops, they usually have take offs from customer rifles. You can get a really good deal at times., Good luck, Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts