Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that with my regular grip I am starting to notice my arthritis more in my middle two fingers with Ruger only loads in my NMBH 45 Colt. No problem with regular loads in the NMBH or my Uberti in 45 Colt.

Anybody else notice this or have any tips?

I love both SA revolvers and would like to keep shooting the warmer loads in my Ruger.

As someone once said, getting old is not for sissies.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Talk to your doctor. He may tell you that an anti-inflammatory (Ibuprofen or Naproxen for example) taken before you go shooting may help. You are right about getting older......Hope that helps.

Smoke Jensen RN

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I would suggest sending the gun to me for research and development. I'll research it for a while and see what develope's.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Heavy recoiling SA have been busting knuckles for years. It's the reason the Super Blackhawks had the square trigger bow.

I would suggest what ever oversize grips, Pachs or Herrets or similar. A simple deer hide glove has been on my hand with the fingers cut off off the glove at the first knuckle for a couple of decades now.

Padded shooters gloves are available too. If you have actual joint damage in the knuckles, constant swollen joints, you are between a rock and hard place.

"shooters elbow" is another common problem with older guys having shot a lot of mag loads. When we were young dumb and full of @@@@ as they say, we never believed what the future pains we Had to look forward too.

Reactions: 1022

·
Registered
112 Posts
only thing I can add is one of those hand-squeezers for developing hand strength. I need to do it myself.

Reactions: 1022

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I know you probably won't like it, but I'd try a set of Hogues or Pachmayers....

Might just be the ticket.

Hope you get it to your liking.
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I never could shoot a single action , my Ruger or my Colt SAA without bigger grips. The Colt has Herrets and the Ruger has Pachmyer. The only SA I could shoot with standard grips was a second generation Colt 1851. I think some grips that fill your hand more will help you. Good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Gonna try taking alive, etc. before next range session. Should not be a problem hunting.

As to the grips, both revolvers are fine with standard loads.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
I tried the Hogues on my SBH 44mag they helped with recoil but made the gun ride too high in my hand...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pachmayr has two different slip-on rubber grips. One is flat, the other has a little pad on each side of the grip.Makes it easier to make a gun fit your hand a little better. I have one of each, a pistol with a small grip I add the Grip Glove (I think that's the one with a pad) and for a large-grip piece I add the flat one.
Just bought one of those 4-finger exercise thingies- it has 4 like- pistons- on springs, so you can work all four or individual fingers. It's weird, usually my hands only hurt when it's cold, but for the last couple of summers- well, weather seems to matter less :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts