Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty stoked right now as I just ordered a Mernickle FC13 crossdraw holster for my 4 5/8" .45 colt 1987 BH. I assume it will be near identical to the one DWB just received for his Ruger SBH. If you don't mind DWB, I'll post your picture of your Mernickle ...

Here is my '87 BH that I bought off of Gunbroker earlier this year that is going to be nesting in the new holster ...

This BH is my camp gun so the factory grips aren't too bad for the intended use ... but ... if this was your setup (and your money ;) ), would you change out the grips? If you would, what would you go with? Why or why not?

My next question is what belt would you guys recommend with this holster?

bjm

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
BJM I'll stay out of the holster question but the grip I can speak to. The best grip I've ever used on the Ruger Blackhawk was my the one on my custom 5 shot 45 Colt that I had for years. This gun was a 4 5/8 inch stainless that had a 5 shot conversion done on it so I used some very heavy loads in it. The use of heavy loads was the reason I had the Reeder gun fighter grip frame mod done and they just recut my factory rosewood stocks to fit when they did it. I loved the way that gun handled under heavy recoil because of that grip frame mod, in addition it was very easy to conceal because the grip frame was much more rounded. I think you'll like that mod and it can be done to your existing grip frame so it's actually fairly economical to boot.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Jesse, I was just on his website last night, looking at the same grip, and thinking it would be perfect for a heavy-loaded 45LC. If I ever get another single-action, that would be The Beans!

It's wide enough to spread the recoil around the web of your hand, but still small enough to pack well. 8)

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Mernickle makes belts as well, you know, with lots of different options.
http://mernickleholsters.com/bm_belts.html
A matching set would be nice.

The Beltman makes some hell-for-strong belts using bull hide.
http://www.thebeltman.net/index.htm
Their "cordovan" stain should be a pretty close match to Mernickle's "mahogany".

Although not quite as finely finished, here's another supplier of bull hide belts...
www.bullhidebelts.com
Not only will they hold up your britches and your rosco, but in a pinch they're heavy enough to tow a duce-and-a-quarter if the need ever arises.

As to the grips...without grip frame modification, Cary makes some incredibly beautiful grips. Prepare to drool...
http://clccustomgrips.com/

Of course, I'm partial to the work of Mr. Grashorn...
http://grashornsgunworks.com/index.html

Roe

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there bjm -- I've always been partial to checkered walnut grips. Here are a set of custom hand checkered Lett grips I've used on two different revolvers. I have large hands and these work great. They have held up well over 20 (or so) years time. Unfortunately I don't think they are in business any more or they may not be doing custom orders. They were located on Connecticut. Belts are something else. More of a dress belt? Or larger and stiffer with a shell loop or two? As always, I'm a huge fan of Karla at www.purdygear.com Hope this helps some... Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Love the look of the Grashorn grips. But I think I am going to put a pair of American Holly wood grips on my 44 SPC flattop. Hate the black plastic stock grips. Always wanted real ivory, but...$$$!!! I have seen many pics of the Holly that look very near ivory. Plus it is a field gun, so won't worry about a pair of grips.

For my SBH, I HAVE to have a pair of Pachmayr grips that fill in the void behind the square trigger guard or I can't shoot it w/o busting my off hand fingers.

With the exception of the Pachmayr SBH grip, I don't like checkering on any of my SAs due to the natural grip roll in the hand. Factory SPC grips are checkered - another reason I hate 'em.

BTW - posting a Hogue finger grip for the SBH elsewhere - brand new. Put it on the gun and took it off w/in 10 minutes. Can't stand it.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are some really good options. I will check into all the vendors mentioned here to see what all they have to offer. I'm definately getting a matching belt for the Mernickle. I talked to Patrick Grasshorn when I first bought this BH and almost ordered some elk stag grips with maybe 1/2 bark but then I also liked the elk bone grips. Not sure yet ...

bjm

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
All 4 of my SA Ruger's have grips by "PVT" Carl Schultz. I love his Antique Ivory Micarta. But all his stuff is very nice. They are also wider than the factory grips and handle recoil very well.

www.privatescustomgrips.com

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
PJ you're right on the money about the recoil, even with extreme loads in the 454 Casull range it put the recoil right on the palm of your hand instead of the web making it more manageable. I found when carrying in a shoulder holster the gun tucked in a little tighter to my body and was more comfortable to carry as well.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Well guys, when it comes to dreaming about grips I can't afford, I have to go along with General Patton and his grips of choice. Mr. Reeder has also taken great care with the material and truly made it look beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mernickle makes good stuff. FIVE of his Cowboy Action Shooting rigs are hanging on my shop wall. Call him and get the matching belt. A heavy duty belt that the holster loop fits TIGHTLY on will carry with minimal discomfort...a soft belt and loose holster is a recipe for the gun staying home when you need it afield!

Grips are very subjective. Caryc and Pvt Schultz make nice stuff. I have a set of Paul Persinger ivories that were delivered the saturday before 9-11 and not used much until Osama got his last wake up call. My real favorites are EAGLE GRIPS Gunfighter model in smooth water buffalo horn and elk stag from stag-grips.com (William Jennings of Buffalo WY.) I've got 5 years of pretty steady use on the stags with no problems.

I have big hands and impending carpal tunnel, etc, so what I have found is to modify the gun with either a DRAGOON or HUNTER grip frame and a SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer PLUS a good trigger job. Factory grip then work well for me, but the above mentioned grips make it even better. Tonight I shot some experimental loads from a 5.5 inch VAQUERO with a DRAGOON grip frame, a 5.5 inch BISLEY VAQUERO, and a 7.5 inch VAQUERO with a DRAGOON grip frame and SBH hammer...all 44s and EAGLE GRIPS Gunfighters on them.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really appreciate all of the input. I am going over it and will make some decisions based on what you have suggested. I am going to call Mernickle and get a matching belt. Sooooooo here is the next question ... 1 1/4"? 1 1/2"? or 1 3/4"? width. I just tried to measure the widest a pair of jeans would take and it looked like a 1 1/4" but I think 1 1/2" would be better for holster tightness. Any suggestions on belt width?

bjm

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
All of my gun belts (field/dress) are 1 1/2" with the exception of one that's 1 3/4" Not only will all those 1 1/2" belts fit any pair of jeans I've ever had, but they will fit nearly all of the dress pants I have as well. I do try to buy dress pants that have large belt loops just for this reason, but I do have one fancy Milt Sparks one inch gun belt that gets use when I'm forced to wear something I didn't necessarily pick out (anyone of us that's married will understand ::)). That belt is a bit narrow for a large handgun, but works fine with a lightweight Commander in a Sparks IWB holster.

The 1 3/4" is a bit of a problem with many brands of jeans and is too wide for any dress pants, but is a great fit with BDUs. Stick with a good thick 1 1/2" belt and you should be set for years to come. I wore a Sparks belt daily for nearly 20 years and it's still serviceable...although it seems to have shrunk a bit in length over the last few years. ::) ;)

Roe

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
My BH .45 Convertible sports these from Altamont.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Roe ... I just added a 1 1/2" Mernickle basketweave belt to my holster order in mahogany brown so hopefully I should be pretty pleased when it all arrives. They said 4-5 weeks was the projected shop time.

DWB ... thanks for all of your info and help on the holster order

RevDerb ... that is really nice.

Everyone ... thank you for all of the input. I'm still debating the grips. I have checked out all of the recommended grip sites and it's a tough choice. I'm still thinking ...

bjm

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
bigjeepman said:
... I'm still debating the grips. I have checked out all of the recommended grip sites and it's a tough choice. I'm still thinking ...

bjm
All this talk about grips sure does get a guy to thinking. ::) ???

Now... Where did I leave my wallet? ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts