Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, been awhile since I have been here. I have a question for the gurus here. Ever since I purchased my "Baby" 1895 GS, there is a screw that bothers me in looks only, it is the carrier screw, the slot looks to be wallowed out some. It was that way new, does not affect anything but looks. I guess I am a little OCD. Marlin was kind enough to send me a new one, but I have not changed it out yet.
What I would like to know is do I have to do a complete tear down to replace this, or is it just a matter of unscrewing the old one and putting in the new?
I will have to plan for some late night time if it involves a complete tear down.

Thanks for any info and knowledge you can pass on.

Old man aka Mike

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Should be able to just change out. Make sure you got a hollow ground screw driver tip so you Dont bugger up your new screw

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much sir, I wasn't sure if I had to do a complete tear down or not. I should feel ashamed at not knowing, I bought it new in 2003 and then my health went south and Doc. would not allow me to shoot it for 12 months. Then around that time they closed the range I was shooting at, it has not been used much, still looks as new as when I got it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The carrier screw does not want to come out, it is in there super tight. Does anyone know if they used locktite or something on these?
I do not want to break the screw off. Yes, I do have hollow ground screwdrivers, Lyman and B square both.

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
The carrier screw does not want to come out, it is in there super tight. Does anyone know if they used locktite or something on these?
I do not want to break the screw off. Yes, I do have hollow ground screwdrivers, Lyman and B square both.
Hey Old Man,

Try heating the receiver with a heat gun (hair dryer).

If that does not work, give it a soak with some Kroil, then repeat with the heat.

Still "stuck"? Do a "grind" job on a small chisel (so it fits the slot "nicely"). Give it a couple of taps, with a small hammer (the chisel, in the head of the screw). Heat it again, and it should come out. This is the "last" resort, before drilling it out.

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Hey Old man:hahaha: Wack attack...with a hammer while turning the screw driver, Just not real hard :beerglass:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried everything and it is not budging. Being stainless, if they did not put a little oil on the threads it is probably frozen. If I want it out, I am probably going to have to take it to a gunsmith and get it drilled, or just leave it as is. I do not have a drill press.

Thanks for all the suggestions

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
I had one on an old 336 A that was rusted in. I put blaster on it and Kroil and let it sit and soak in. Then I took a pointed pry bar and heated the tip up cherry red and held the point on the screw head until the pry bar cooled. The second time I heated the screw it came right out.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Another thing that may helped it make aperfently fit scew head tool for it then make to a long handle. If you have a welder this makes life really easy. Heck you could problay even braze with a propane torch a good handle on it at have it come loose. First put kroil on it though.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 10 of 10 Posts