Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here and wondering if you could help me out.

I've come across an old Marlin model 1893 in 30-30, it's a T/D model and the feature works very well. Anyways I was wondering when it was made (serial 38833X) and also an impartial guess as to what it may be worth, I'm in Canada so it can't be sold down there so I figured I'd get an honest idea. The barrel blue is an easy 90+ %, it has correct sights and the wood is serialed to the receiver. There is about 30% case color left on the receiver. The only problem as you can see is the butt has seen some bad hunting days although the forearm is in mint condition. The bore is still shiny and you can see how much rifling is left although it's not a great pic. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Very nice looking Marlin 1893. Probably will date to around 1908, as recorded numbers stopped in 1906 at around 355,600. The bore does look good, and although the buttstock is a bit battered, it appears to have a fair amount of original looking varnish on it. Forearm looks bare of finish, but smooth.
I have seen similar 1893's go above $1,000, and a few below, but not in recent months. Saw one in Reno last month in a .30-30 TD, with much less finish on the receiver, and barrel turning brown. It was marked $700.
Might check Auction Arms, or Gunbroker for completed auctions, to see where they've been going.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Nice looking gun!
What are the extra holes in the reciever for?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Nice catch Leverdude! I missed those holes! They will affect the value for many buyers. Probably an old sidemount scope.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Thats what I was thinking but I'm learning to ask about stuff before thinking I know whats what. Lots to learn with these old guns. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Holes just might be for the long radius sight seen on old Winchesters of the early days..The butt stock looks like it was scabbard and the dern horse tried to brush it off..lots of them were broken that way..modoc

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Lyman receiver sight in question is the Model 21. Garry Fellers may have an original. On the other hand, Buffalo Arms sells a reproduction of it. Either one might be an alternative to looking at the holes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darn, if it was a 21 or a 38 it sucks that it's missing, I'd love to get ahold of one of them. :cry: :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The holes are in the right place for a Lyman 21 or 38, but if it had one, it wasn't on there long. Sure no signs of an adjustable sight on the side of the receiver. I would have expected either a little wear, or some heavier case colors where the sight once was?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts