Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, not a big issue ,but I need some of your expert advice.
I have a 1957 texan 35rem that I absolutely love.
Recently I have noticed something about it that Im not exactly sure how to fix.Or if it is even necessary.
If you take my rifle and hold it upside down ,so the lever is facing upward,you cannot open the lever.
Then, if you rotate the rifle back over,it opens fine.
If the hammer is cocked, and you hold it upside down, the lever will cycle.
But if the hammer is down and the gun is upside down,it wont cycle.Rotate it back up to normal and it cycles like glass.
Sorry for my lack of proper part identification,but it appears that the hook on the lever is catching the square block it locks onto.Which by the way has play to it.
Any ideas,and can I fix this myself.
It is kind of pointless as I will never be hunting and trying to cycle the gun upside down lol!
But Im kinda particular with my firearms and want things right.

Reactions: jddboy

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Fran the locking block needs to fall to cycle, force (lever) and gravity take over here.
No way to fix that ive heard of. ..

BloodGroove4570

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's really strange .The rifle cycles fine.Until you try to cycle it upside down with out the hammer pulled back.The gun functions 100% in every other way!

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
The "square block" is the locking block which locks the bolt closed. It needs gravity for it to fall out of battery.

Mark.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Fran, have a look at this picture of the locking bolt used for another thread:

The bottom arrow is pointing into the slot where the hammer resides. i suspect that what you're experiencing is a couple things; 1) With the hammer out of the way you have less overall resistance making it easier to transfer the energy to the locking block and snap it out of the way and 2) the hammer might have a slight rub in this slot that is also lending to the resistance. Like the fellas said, gravity is the main aid in dropping the locking bolt (lug) but I can see how if the resistance was low enough you could overcome that through force (not meaning reaming on it just meaning opening the lever). That be my guess anyways...

Nothing to worry about and nothing to mess with. :)

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I think the hammer pushes on bolt slightly to lock action upon firing. relaxed bolt will drop lock bolt iirc

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Certainly not something I was very concerned about as the rifle in the upright firing position performs flawlessly.
And I checked my other levers and they all cycle regardless of how they are tipped.
Thanks for your help guy's

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Just remember to cock the hammer the next time your hanging up side down from that tree hunting, and need that second shot.:flute: I wonder if that would happen if you were in china.:hmmmm: Just messin with ya.:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
17,030 Posts
The toilet water swirls counter-clockwise when you flush south of the equator.

Rob

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I was having trouble with a gun and reported it on the forum and someone told me it must be haunted. I think maybe it was. I sold it before th little demon could get out of it.

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
Fran....................

All that is quite normal...............It all depends on the interaction between the Lever hook and the Locking Block....................As others have said......"the Locking Block needs to fall"...................And the Lever hook is engaged with the Locking Block for only a brief moment.

One way to eliminate the problem, is to hang yer treestand correctly, so you and yer rifle are not sitting upside down!...............:flute:

Tom

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Plumbernator and CJ-5 beat me to it!:biggrin: I was just gonna tell you I've never needed a second shot at a deer from the upside down position, at least not yet! Maybe it would function upside down for the second shot for OZ?
358 Win

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
Plumbernator and CJ-5 beat me to it!:biggrin: I was just gonna tell you I've never needed a second shot at a deer from the upside down position, at least not yet! Maybe it would function upside down for the second shot for OZ?
358 Win
Bob,

I've heard Deer can run faster upside down!.................'Zat true?............:hmmmm:

Tom

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Don't know about that Tom, but I do know they climb trees!!!:ahhhhh:That scares the bejeezus out of me when I'm sneaking along and all of a sudden they take off from them tree tops!!!
It scares me so bad I usually fall on my A$$ and can't even get the rifle to my shoulder. Wastes quite a bit of hunting time too, always having to go home for a quick clean up!

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guy's have missed your calling,you should all be stand up comic's!
You did have me snickering though.Thanks for the real advice,and even the rest.
Glad to know that there is not something that may need replacing.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks T....you just made me spray coffee all over the place!
Freakin hilarious!!

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your killin me!

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Had a 1949 336 in 30-30 that would do the same thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts