Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,986 Posts
Still sitting on the table where we set it when we unloaded it... Just put the dust covers back on...

This stuff isn't a TV or a video game... I won't touch it without proper guidance...
It looks like solid state gear so unlikely that it would have the big electrolyte capacitors that can dry out and fry when plugged in.
More of a danger is turning on without proper antenna and such. That's what the dummy load is for.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Super Moderator
10,986 Posts
My world is coming around, I guess. For Christmas, my oldest stepdaughter gave me a Ham Radio!!! Yes, a Baofeng UV-5R. Who would have guessed after my history above on Ham Radios. I have managed, after about 10 hours, to program it to scan the local fire/emergency channels. I am not very capable with Chinese instructions in broken English, and relied on about 12 youtube posts and finally found instructions via print I could follow and understand. This is why I haven't been on the forum. The ratings on the radio ain't all that good, but it has prompted me to post to the OP get that stuff checked out! It looks like fun!

I have had a "scanner" in my truck that is so old it used to pick up analog cell phone conversations. That was fun! That scanner gives me about a weeks advantage on the local newspaper.

New learning curve tomorrow, add marine band channels to the mix. That's what the bear hunters use here. I can receive on my scanner, but have to go to the road, to let them know I have their dogs. Maybe I can figure out how to transmit on it.

Retired Grandpaw got a lot of neat stuff for Christmas. A Glorious Celebration.

Just an update: I spent an hour or so with the "Carbide Genius" son in law at the family party. Looks like there will be some "Quality Carbide" Rockwell 88 drop point fixed blade skinners in the works in the future. Those interested in my original carbide blade will be considered for testing when we get the details worked out.
Hard to argue against those cheap Baofengs. Get the programming cable and load up Chirp to set it up.
I have mine set for the local EMS and NOAA.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Baofeng_UV5R_Variants

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Thanks for the info, already downloaded the software, waiting on the cable! But I learned how to manually program it. That was my accomplishment for yesterday. I agree, cheap, but even the FM radio, broadcast channels are exceptional. Already added a 19.5" wire to the antennae. Now I need a Diamond SRJ77XCA that costs as much as the radio. I need to stay off the net! This cold weather has kept me in the house and out of the shop. The auxiliary heat in the shop is a little inadequate for this kind of temperature.

·
Super Moderator
10,986 Posts
Thanks for the info, already downloaded the software, waiting on the cable! But I learned how to manually program it. That was my accomplishment for yesterday. I agree, cheap, but even the FM radio, broadcast channels are exceptional. Already added a 19.5" wire to the antennae. Now I need a Diamond SRJ77XCA that costs as much as the radio. I need to stay off the net! This cold weather has kept me in the house and out of the shop. The auxiliary heat in the shop is a little inadequate for this kind of temperature.
My new fun is drones. Too dang cold, wet, and dreary to go out an fly... feeling antsy.
BTW - something else you might find fun is a SDR - Software Defined Radio. Basically you plug this USB dohicky into your computer, load the software and you have a shortwave/broadcast receiver! Dirt cheap too!

This is just one of many

Good article on the most popular/best SDRs

Intro to SDRT software

Open the floodgates...
More software than you can shake a stick at.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Naw you can get into this hobby for as much or as little as you want to spend1 no need for towers or amplifiers and that this is a dying art is nonsense there are more hams now that there have ever been and no need to learn morse code anymore just 25 question test and your on the air "and antennas" no tower needed just a simple 100 foot wire strung between two trees is all you need.Jim Kb1PF?

·
Registered
46 Posts
THE EQUIPMENT YOU HAVE THERE IS A DRAKE Tranciever for high frequency bands I think 1.8 mhz through 29.700 mhz and it's power supply The FRG-7 Is A HF Reciever only no transmitter and it also covers 1.8 mhz through 29.700 mhz if you hook this reciever up to a 100 foot wire antenna you will hear the world.Good luck and hope you enjoy your new hobby it's addicting.Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This stuff is multiplying like bunnies... My Father in law sent this home with my wife... She got an H&R 32 SWL, I got a radio...

I'm not sure if I'll ever set them up, but now I have to seriously consider it...

100_3571.JPG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice Kennwood 450S!
Go to home depot and buy some 12 or 14 gauge stranded wire 100 feet or so and hook it up to the back of your radio either the 450 or the FRG-7 if the 450s remove the microphone and just listen you don't want to transmit into a untuned antenna or you will blow the finals aka: "final Transistors".
listening is fine though tune through 3.700 to 4.000 mhz the 80 meter band or 7.125 through the 7.300 mhz the 40 meter band and the 14.225 through 14.350 Mhz aka: 20 meter band. those are the big ham bands there is the 160 meter band also but requires a much longer wire. most activity right now during this low sunspot cycle is right where i mentioned.the other bands not mentioned 10 meter 12 meter 15 meter and 17 meter are quiet now due to the sun being in low activity.73'jim KB1PF?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also might mention FCC lic required to transmit, goggle ham clubs in your area, some have free classes to help you pass tests, others can also help check out your gear, most hams are helpful bunch, That drake is a very nice radio even today, the black box under it thats heavy is the power supply, Friend of mine KD7HH runs one of those. Previos poster is right, antenna is not expensive to to hang a wire antenna, you can make a tuned dipole quite easily, just don't transmit or even key till you have a !. Lic, 2 know what your doing on HF bands you need a general licto utilize most of them,.
Richard
KG7CAF

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah I was only trying to get him to the listening stage and a basic listening antenna if he really got interested i'ld let him know how to take that 100 feet of wire 120 feet would be better and make it into a proper center fed dipole for transmitting you can go to ARRL.org aka the american Radio relay league and find out all the info you need, also check out Hamtest online to study and take mock tests.jim

41 - 50 of 50 Posts