Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Old 45-70

Consider a lighter bullet. Check out GT Bullets and their 320 gr hollow point design. Only $28 for 100, less recoil with the same fps, the HP design is great for hunting, and more than you need.

If your eyes are like most, the tang sight on the 1885 or peep receiver sight on the Marlin is your friend! Oh, a longer barrel does not hurt helping keep the front sight in focus as well.
I love GT bullets! I shoot the 425 grain and they are my most accurate bullet out of my Cowboy (sized .460). However , the 4 or 5 month lead time keeps me from reordering. I know the old saying, “When is the best time to plant a tree? 20 years ago.”

I want to try the 320 HP you mentioned. I think I may order some now. Thx for the reminder.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well I finished my set up today. Got my lamps installed as well as the press. Still need to get out to the garage and make a few reloading blocks ( tomorrow ). I'll get everything cleaned and strightened up. Just putting this reloading bench together has been an experience...I still need to build some shelving next to the bench for storage of components and such. That will require a trip to the lumber yard. Included a few picts.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Wow, I saw the price of those bullets... $75 per 50?
If you ever need bullets let me know, I don't charge anywhere near that for 45-70 bullets

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow, I saw the price of those bullets... $75 per 50?
If you ever need bullets let me know, I don't charge anywhere near that for 45-70 bullets
That is todays price... I bought those bullets about 10 years ago and I'm just getting around to using them...They were much cheaper then.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here
Product Wood Material property Drink Gas
is the first completed round from my press. The overall length is 2.310 which is shorter than the published OAL of 2.550. I used the Lee Factory crimp die. The crimp is very light but since I'll be using them in a single shot rifle I am assuming this will be ok. Is the OAL ok or should the bullet be seated not as deep? Product Wood Material property Drink Gas

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Since you are using a single shot you probably don’t need to crimp the bullets at all. I crimp the bullets when I load them in my M98 due to high recoil, but for my rollingblock rifle and Contender carbine I do not. I seat the bullets to be close to or touching the rifling for improved accuracy - but then I don’t use max loads in those firearms.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts