Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading and will be starting with some 45-70 loads. I have some "Hunters Supply 405 gr. solids .459. Will these work for me in a Browning 1885 single shot? Do I need to slug my barrel and if so how do I proceed with that process...Also will I need Gas Checks. I have unique and Trail Boss powders. I am using Lee Press and dies. Also the bullets appear to be lubes so will I need to ad any further lube to them?

Reactions: PoopDeckPappy

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I saw a few "Slug a Rifle barrel" video's on U-Tube so I got that part covered...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slugging will help with sizing. Several casting companies will size to larger sizes if needed. I am sure you can't apply gas checks to a bullet not designed for them.
I looked at those bullets. The picture showed a lubed bullet. They sure are proud of their product.
With the lack of available product due to limited supply I was happy to get what I could at the time.

Reactions: memtb

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have a wealth of very useful info from the forum members. I am taking notes and will apply as needed. Thanks to one and all. Oh and if there is more...keep it comming!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live on a very tight budget due to a limited income. My shooting time at the range is limited at best. I hope to tune up for hunting season comming up fast. At 71 with health issues I figure I probably have 2 more seasons before I hang up my deer hunting. Since I can't afford to build custom motorcycles or cars reloading is going to fill that itch...I hope. I would however like to put some lead down range with that Brownong 1885 and a JM stamped Marlin circa 90 something that I have yet to fire. The Browning wears a receiever sight and the Marlin also wears a Skinner
Alaskan peep sight.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A lot of very good information to answer your ?'s. I do not see anything from you about a reloading manual. A copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook would be a worthwhile purchase also a good powder scale.
I have the latest edition of the Lee Manual and have a Hornady on order. I also have 3 scales to choose from. I am partial to an old Redding scale.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well I finished my set up today. Got my lamps installed as well as the press. Still need to get out to the garage and make a few reloading blocks ( tomorrow ). I'll get everything cleaned and strightened up. Just putting this reloading bench together has been an experience...I still need to build some shelving next to the bench for storage of components and such. That will require a trip to the lumber yard. Included a few picts.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow, I saw the price of those bullets... $75 per 50?
If you ever need bullets let me know, I don't charge anywhere near that for 45-70 bullets
That is todays price... I bought those bullets about 10 years ago and I'm just getting around to using them...They were much cheaper then.

Reactions: Doc Holliday

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here
Product Wood Material property Drink Gas
is the first completed round from my press. The overall length is 2.310 which is shorter than the published OAL of 2.550. I used the Lee Factory crimp die. The crimp is very light but since I'll be using them in a single shot rifle I am assuming this will be ok. Is the OAL ok or should the bullet be seated not as deep? Product Wood Material property Drink Gas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts