Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading and will be starting with some 45-70 loads. I have some "Hunters Supply 405 gr. solids .459. Will these work for me in a Browning 1885 single shot? Do I need to slug my barrel and if so how do I proceed with that process...Also will I need Gas Checks. I have unique and Trail Boss powders. I am using Lee Press and dies. Also the bullets appear to be lubes so will I need to ad any further lube to them?

Reactions: PoopDeckPappy

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I saw a few "Slug a Rifle barrel" video's on U-Tube so I got that part covered...

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Load data did not have any Unique data. What I found for Trail Boss was 13 gr gave about 1000FPS. I doubt either powder will yeild velocity needing gas checks.

Reactions: Old 45-70

·
Registered
605 Posts
Likely they are adequately lubed! Gas Checks are a plus, but may be a problem with previously lubed bullets! If velocities are fairly low, checks probably not needed, unless the bullets are very soft....low tin/antimony content!

You may go to the Cast Boolits Forum and get some load data, or a relatively new Lyman Cast Bullet manual should have the powders you listed! The Cast Boolit Forum will give you more information than you can likely absorb! memtb

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Slugging will help with sizing. Several casting companies will size to larger sizes if needed. I am sure you can't apply gas checks to a bullet not designed for them.
I looked at those bullets. The picture showed a lubed bullet. They sure are proud of their product.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just studied the Hunters Supply website, and they claim a Brinell Hardness of 16....which should be good to 1400 or so without the checks! The following site may be of some help! memtb

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slugging will help with sizing. Several casting companies will size to larger sizes if needed. I am sure you can't apply gas checks to a bullet not designed for them.
I looked at those bullets. The picture showed a lubed bullet. They sure are proud of their product.
With the lack of available product due to limited supply I was happy to get what I could at the time.

Reactions: memtb

·
Registered
452 Posts
If your 1885 is a modern reproduction it is a very strong action. If it is similar to the B78 that I once had, it also has a bit more free bore than the Marlin allowing longer OAL (over all length). It should accept the .459" bullets. Just how fast you can push them with out leading the barrel depends upon the hardness of the bullet, the lube and the condition of the bore.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Gas checks intended to prevent leading from gas blow-by with higher pressure loads. The relationship is not linear between bullet velocity and pressure, but generally the threshold is about 1600 fps.

Will your 0.459" bullets shoot in your 1885? Yes. Will they be accurate? That's the question. You already own them, so load some up, shoot them, and see what they will do.

You will probably find your best accuracy below 1600 fps. And your shoulder will thank you. Your rifle will likely handle loads to the max, but these aren't at all needed for any North American critters. Africa, maybe. But without backup, I'd not want to be limited to one shot... And with backup, you're not really hunting with a single shot. It's just that the other shots won't be yours. So you might as well be carrying a repeater, as far as I'm concerned. YMMV

Barrels are slugged so that a shooter can get an idea of what size bullets are most likely to shoot well. The idea is to choose bullets 0.002-0.003" larger than bore diameter. My 1895 (45-70) slugs 0.457" and needs bullets at least 0.4595" to shoot well. (Cast bullets at 0.457 will keyhole and spread to 10-12" at 100 yards. Proper size bullets shoot into 1.5")

This only applies to cast bullets. Jacketed bullets at 0.458 and 0.459 will shoot just fine. Not to worry.

Good luck. Be safe.

·
Registered
842 Posts
1. Those Hunter's Supply bullets (405gr/0.459") do not take (and do not need) gas checks -- one less thing to worry about.
2. They're already lubed. -- forget that issue too
3. Forget slugging. Shoot the 0.459 bullet full size
4. 12-14gr of UNIQUE will largely duplicate BP loads at 1,150-1,250 fps (Kill anything on the Continent... and largely did)
5. Use large Pistol primers if you have them, or large rifle if you don't.
6. Seat to mid crimp groove,
7. Adjust the crimp die (if separate) to establish reasonably firm crimp into the crimp groove *

Relax . . . . :cool: :)

* Don't "overdo" the crimp as it's just for consistent ignition in this case.
Otherwise single shot doen't really need one.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I am new to reloading and will be starting with some 45-70 loads. I have some "Hunters Supply 405 gr. solids .459. Will these work for me in a Browning 1885 single shot? Do I need to slug my barrel and if so how do I proceed with that process...Also will I need Gas Checks. I have unique and Trail Boss powders. I am using Lee Press and dies. Also the bullets appear to be lubes so will I need to ad any further lube to them?
Old 45-70

Welcome,

Great acquisition. The straight wall case will not need a gas check a velocities your body can take for a day at the range. A plain base bullet should work well up to around 1,500 - 1,600 fps if sized correctly for the groove diameter.

As a new reloader, I agree with Trail Boss suggestion. With Trail Boss you cannot over charge the case. However, in this large volume case shotgun powders and fast rifle powders can be double charged without overflowing the case.

Once you develop and refine you skills to look down the case before putting a bullet over the powder, Herco or Unique are good choices.

Visit this reloading link for published data that has been tested and safe.

load-data-and-references.628262

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have a wealth of very useful info from the forum members. I am taking notes and will apply as needed. Thanks to one and all. Oh and if there is more...keep it comming!

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
There is no perfect bullet, nor any perfect load. But some are better than others.

However, accuracy problems are usually due to bullet size, rather than bullet design. Most rifles will an accuracy sweet spot between 1100 and 1400 fps, but it's pretty much anywhere within that range. You probably won't see any difference between 1200 and 1250 fps, or even between 1200 and 1300 fps. Exact velocity isn't all that critical.

Before you start thinking it's all too simple, realize that lube also makes a contribution. There are many different lubes in use. However, an excellent option is to buy powder coated bullets. The coating replaces lube and reduces fouling. Cleaning is much easier. The coating is very tough. Videos show bullets hammered flat and the coating stays on. Besides, the colors are neat. Different colors can be used for different loads, etc. Coated bullets have an excellent reputation for accuracy.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live on a very tight budget due to a limited income. My shooting time at the range is limited at best. I hope to tune up for hunting season comming up fast. At 71 with health issues I figure I probably have 2 more seasons before I hang up my deer hunting. Since I can't afford to build custom motorcycles or cars reloading is going to fill that itch...I hope. I would however like to put some lead down range with that Brownong 1885 and a JM stamped Marlin circa 90 something that I have yet to fire. The Browning wears a receiever sight and the Marlin also wears a Skinner
Alaskan peep sight.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Old you’re successful in getting your rifle ready to hunt, and I wish you the best this hunting season! memtb

Reactions: PoopDeckPappy

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
A lot of very good information to answer your ?'s. I do not see anything from you about a reloading manual. A copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook would be a worthwhile purchase also a good powder scale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm shooting 385 grain cast bullets from a Lyman mold that I powder coated.
They are over 15.5 grains of Unique.
Shooting is very pleasant out of my Henry and very accurate.
Musical instrument Wood Drinkware Wind instrument Glass bottle

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I live on a very tight budget due to a limited income. My shooting time at the range is limited at best. I hope to tune up for hunting season comming up fast. At 71 with health issues I figure I probably have 2 more seasons before I hang up my deer hunting. Since I can't afford to build custom motorcycles or cars reloading is going to fill that itch...I hope. I would however like to put some lead down range with that Brownong 1885 and a JM stamped Marlin circa 90 something that I have yet to fire. The Browning wears a receiever sight and the Marlin also wears a Skinner
Alaskan peep sight.

Old 45-70

Consider a lighter bullet. Check out GT Bullets and their 320 gr hollow point design. Only $28 for 100, less recoil with the same fps, the HP design is great for hunting, and more than you need.

If your eyes are like most, the tang sight on the 1885 or peep receiver sight on the Marlin is your friend! Oh, a longer barrel does not hurt helping keep the front sight in focus as well.

Reactions: Old 45-70 and memtb

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A lot of very good information to answer your ?'s. I do not see anything from you about a reloading manual. A copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook would be a worthwhile purchase also a good powder scale.
I have the latest edition of the Lee Manual and have a Hornady on order. I also have 3 scales to choose from. I am partial to an old Redding scale.

Reactions: Travlin
1 - 20 of 27 Posts