Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks I'm new here so I ain't sure if I'm doin this right. I just bought a 1895 cb 02 model I believe. I've been wanting this rifle for years and finally found one worth the money. Should be here by middle of next week. Just wonderin about what factory loads to try first and any advise about the gun. I plan on reloadin for it when I get the dies sooner or later. Also was lookin into a ladder sight or tang and was wonderin about h
Your opinion on each. Gonna do some long range shootin nothin to particular though. Mostly gonna be a Huntin rifle and saddle gun. Any advise would be appreciated Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Hey there HL45 -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. I wouldn't waste time and money on a ladder sight. But then I'm an opinionated old geezer. Grab up a big bowl of pork rinds and a six pack, type "tang sight" in the search box in the upper right corner of this page and get to reading. There will be an exam... Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Howdy folks I'm new here so I ain't sure if I'm doin this right. I just bought a 1895 cb 02 model I believe. I've been wanting this rifle for years and finally found one worth the money. Should be here by middle of next week. Just wonderin about what factory loads to try first and any advise about the gun. I plan on reloadin for it when I get the dies sooner or later. Also was lookin into a ladder sight or tang and was wonderin about h
Your opinion on each. Gonna do some long range shootin nothin to particular though. Mostly gonna be a Huntin rifle and saddle gun. Any advise would be appreciated Thanks!
Hey HL45,

Welcome to MO.

Take a look at these. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/32-40-38-55-375-other-great-non-standard-calibers/73089-another-tall-tang-sight.html and this http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/78432-1895-cb-skinner-sight.html

And before you buy dies, take a peek at this. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/77799-bulges-crimping-dies-another-visit.html

Should keep you busy, for a bit.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for everything guys! I really light the tall tang, do you think carrying it in a saddle scabbard would interfere?
I kinda figured the ladder sight wasnt hittin on much I just liked the looks. Prob not the best deciding factor! Hah a
I really apriciate all the info!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That m94 is pretty bad though! Might just have to do both!

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
I have one of the M-95's. Took it off the CB and put it on a Rossi 92 because it needed a better barrel sight than stock.

A peep (tang or receiver) would be better for long range. You'll need the tang for real long distance.

If a ladder sight was good for long distance all the BPCR guys would be using them. They don't.

Only place I've seen accurate long distance shots made with ladders is "Lonesome Dove" and "Geronimo". :)

Jeff

Reactions: High Lonesome 45

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Hey there HL45 -- A tall tang sight and saddle scabbard could very well be a bad and expensive mix. I'd consider another good option would be a Lyman receiver sight. Here is what one looks like and a video on how they work. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah I like the Lyman receiver sight. So you think it would be ok in a scabbard

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
Yeah I like the Lyman receiver sight. So you think it would be ok in a scabord?
I don't have the Lyman, I have a Williams FP so I can't say for certain but either should stay put in a leather scabbard.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Hey again HL45 -- Scabbards are always a threat to sights, pretty much any kind. For general purpose shooting a folding rear leaf would probably be safest. The Lyman's have a feature where you can remove the bridge and replace it without losing the sight's zero. It's the button on the rear of the sight in the above photo.

The 1895 CB has a 26" long barrel and this may leave a receiver sight exposed outside a regular length scabbard. How you position the scabbard would have a serious impact on protection as well.

Horses have busted up a lot of rifle stocks in the past. My neighbor got bucked off and had her 336 Marlin broken in the process last year.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
Thanks Wind. The voice of experience speaks again. You're like E.F. Hutton!

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I agree. I generally have my scabbard positioned where the gun is sticking up in front of me so I can draw it eaisier but that means its upside down and a lot of whieght is on the sights. I do have a scabbard that is relatively short as long as its not to short and it may leave the back of receiver and tang sticking out. My 336 shows some of the tang so I'm sure the cowboy will hang out more. I'll just have to play around with it till it suites me I reckon. I hope it gets here soon I'm dying to try it out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also was wonderin about a good load for elk and big bear?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah I like the Lyman receiver sight. So you think it would be ok in a scabbard
The LYMAN #66 is what I have on 1894 and 1895 MARLINS. I had a cut down (to 16.5 inches) 44 that rode in my saddle scabbard for 20+ years...I used a muzzle forward carry on the right side of the big Appaloosa. I trained several horses to stand while I put my foot on a lead rope, quietly told them to "stand!" and then shot from maximum distance from the horse. You start with a 22 and give them some feed as a reward for standing. Some of them ain't trainable...good luck with yours!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks bud I apriciate the advice! Yeah I reckon me and ole buck "my horse" are gonna spend some time with the 45-70. I've shot 22s around him and such but that big ole 45 cal might get him a little more riled I figure haha. Headed to Colorado in a couple months and would like to get half way sacked out to it by then. Noticed your from Montana, been thinkin bout packin into the bob Marshall wilderness sometime soon after elk. Any suggestions on a good place?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my Cowboy Yesterday! Couldn't be happier with it! next thing is gonna be a Lyman #66 I reckon. Fixin to see how my horse likes it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts