Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range this morning sighting in my 336 SC in 30-30. It has been equipped for several years with a Williams rear peep sight with the aperture removed, and a red Firesight on the front. I am using 150 gr. bullets for deer and have killed game with this setup very cleanly in the past. But I have spent more time shooting in the field than at the range. Here's what happened at the range.

I set up paper targets with a round black 5" diameter bulleye. All shooting done from a bench rest. First was at 25 yards. I found I was a couple inches high if I placed the front bead right on the target, and was dead center if I held the bead low at least two inches.

Nest I moved target out to 50 yards. If I pet the bead right on the bull it still shot high, so I put the bead right at the bottom of the X-ring and placed all shots where I wanted them. So far, so good.

Problems developed at 100 yards. If I put the bead right on the bull at 100 yards I was still high! I took extra pains to make sure I wasn't flinching. Recently I had a trigger job on this gun so the trigger is just over 2 lbs. Nevertheless, I had a hell of a time getting any shots onto the bull. Toward the end of my session today, and after about 80 rds, I began putting them there by holding the bead - you guessed it - at the bottom of the bull. Still there was not much of a group to write home about.

Am I expecting too much, do my eyes now need a scope, or a smaller aperture, or what?

MadDog

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I sight in my rifles, I always start at 25 yards. I try to adjust to hit dead on at 25. Even at this, it will be high at 100, that's just the way it is. At 100, adjust your peep down to where you want the bullet to impact. This pretty well holds true for about any center fire caliber you can think of. This has always been what I see when sighting rifles from .223 AR's to my 45-70's. There is nothing wrong with your rifle or sights.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Same thing happened to me sighting in a scope on a .35. I was pretty dead on at 25 but a good bit higher than I wanted at 100. I would have left it alone and tried farther out but that range only goes to 100 and where I'll be hunting shots won't be enough over that to worry about.

When you were high at 100 how high again? If you can trace your trajectory from 25 on out to 100 you should get a very good idea of how far out you can put the dot on the brown and make meat.

·
Registered
482 Posts
MD another thing about your sight set up. It might be too coarse for target work using the sight like a ghost ring. Do you have an insert to thread into it? If you do put it in and see what happens I don't think it would change your POI if the sight is threaded on center and the insert is too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read an article by Jack O'Connor on this. He mentioned setting a zero at 10-12 yards where the bullet crosses the line of sight the FIRST time, should produce a second zero where crosses line of sight a SECOND time at 150 yards for an iron sighted 30-30. I'm going to try it at the range this week - if I am dead-on at ten yards, maybe I'm dead-on at 150 yards with 150 grain bullets. If so, that ain't bad, that's good. Still, I will want to add an aperture disc.

MadDog

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Actually there was just the same thing over at Greybeards. With the Rem 150gr factory load Remingtom says the you need to be be -0.06 inches low (dead on for all practical purpose) at 25 yards for a 150 yard zero.

A couple options that may work for your problem.
1. you could try the smaller insert in the receiver sight.

2. You could take a little less of the post, insted of centering the bead in the center of the peep, use less of the post, this would lower the Firesight to just above a 6 o'clock position in the peep thus lowering your point of impact.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I have the same problem with the williams peep/ firesight post on my 336. At it's lowest setting it still shoots 4" high at 100 yards using the sight as a post, not the bead. with 150 gr bullets it's about 6" higher than that.

Raising the front post is probably the solution. I haven't hd time to try it yet and I'm concerned it *might* interfere with my low mount scout scope setup.

I tried a small apeture that I ordered from Midway. It didn't seem to help so I re-installed the next size up which seems to work better in the field for me..

I haven't solved it yet but if you do managed to get that sight combo working, please post how you did it.

G

·
peep sites

:idea: :) try one of williams twilite aperetures for your site,and replace the fire site with a gold or wht bead. :idea: These two changes will allow finer siting and help a whole lot with your 100yds grps. The twilite pert is designed for low lite hunting applications,but a whole lot smaller than the o0pening you were using with the aperture removed. my feeling on the firesite and peeps is the glowing effect diminshes the amount of defination you have for fine sighting. I did a quick boresite on my 35SC and had to put a higher frt site on to get adjustment with and old redfield peep.,but first tests at 25yds i was cutting holes. Gotta do some longer range testing. but as a rule if its' on at 25 yer good to 100. :D --Chaser11

1 - 8 of 8 Posts