Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

45/70 are so ridiculously expensive and hard to find here, that I've been playing with the idea of reloading for this cartridge.
Problem is I don't have a clue on how to start. So, I'm asking for advice, including a shopping list for reloading equipment and materials.

Thanks a lot in advance,

K

Reactions: Catherine

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I'd go with a single stage kit like the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit or Hornady's Lock-and-Load. And a book or twolike Lyman or your favorite bullet company.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe there are experienced reloaders in your family,club or range which are willing to help you with your first steps, books and forums are a good start but its nice when there is someone who shows you everything right on the bench.
I'm afraid nobody reloads around here.

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
First step is get a starter kit, there are several available;

Kits

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit

Then get a half a dozen reloading manuals, Speer, Lyman, RCBS, Lee, and read up on the basics and the how to's, The case trimmers and powder tricklers, and all that can come later.

Find a spot in your house, garage, etc. that you can dedicate to reloading with good lighting, and enough flat space to set up your gear. Just a word of caution, a 2'X2' open spot at the end of a wobbly old work bench will not be sufficient, and you'll be setting yourself up to fail.

I've been reloading for about a hundred years, and I don't save any money, I do however shoot more and enjoy the discipline and focus of turning money into smoke and noise.

Another thought is you may be advised to buy certain brands because they are so much better than others, but all the major suppliers have good serviceable starter kits, and you can expand and improve later, if you decide that reloading is indeed your cup o tea.

This is of course just my opinion, worth everything you paid for it.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I don't know what is available to you down there, however, another option if you plan on loading pistol cartridges especially, is a Lee Classic Turret Press. You can use it as a single stage, but as you gain experience you can get a LOT more speed by engaging the turret function. Reloading isn't rocket science, but you need at LEAST something like the Lyman 49th edition that explains the "how" to reload as well as the load data. The kits are okay, I didn't go that route, I wanted to pick my own stuff.
Reloading is very satisfying, you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions thus far! Start reading before you start buying reloading equipment though. But, that's my opinion! :)

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,148 Posts
Yes, and the good thing is that the .45/70 is rather simple to load.

When you get your manual(s), get good ones, at least a couple. Choose your load from the low-power loads to start with. It's easy to load the .45/70 up to a power level that is not much fun to shoot.

A big supply of quality cast or jacketed bullets will help. I'd concentrate on one really nice all-around load.

Good kit is the RCBS. Take it one step at a time, researching all along. Most of the manuals have a description of HOW to handload, which is a must-read portion.

Guy

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is how easy it can be!
Great, I'm on my way ... already have the ax, the hammer and the hat. :biggrin:

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Lee Turret press. It's great for pistol. Since the 45-70 is a straight wall cartridge I would think the Lee Turret would do quite well. I use mine for .243, 30-30, .223 and 7mm WSM also. I have thought about aquiring a 45-70 myself.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I just happen to have one of those. My very first reloading tools, including the nylon head hammer to operate it. Works very nicely too.

Reactions: Kaweskar

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm getting really excited about this. Seems very doable.
Big question now. I noticed websites that sell reloading supplies they do not ship powder or primer by airfreight. Is there really a risk?, would a box of primers and a can of powder stand a flight inside a suitcase?

Cheers

·
Registered
464 Posts
and what about the log?? eheh

i started today with my first loads, but like Sturmgewehr said i have a couple of friends that already reload (other calibers, but they've been doing it for a few years now and they realy hekpped) . i read a lot online and some PDF about reloading this sepcific caliber, that isn't that hard to do.

I got my self the Lee breach reloading kit, a tumbler some boxes to carry cases and ammo and the components when i could find them (i was searching for the pwder and projectiles for 1,5 months, and today when i got to a GS at our capital city i scored big!! i found powder, bullets, primers and some new cases. (TODAY WAS A GREAT DAY FOR ME) ehehh

My rookie advice is that you read a lot and search on youtube for reloading the 45-70, there are several (very) good videos on this matter.

Good luck

Reactions: Kaweskar

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would probably get you at least one night in some kind of detention center or worse.
I guess this is the end of a fun project! :dong:
Will do some research here or Argentina, to see if I can get reloading supplies.

Thanks a lot for all the comments.

Cheers

K

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Yep and get some books on it also. He makes it look easy and I am sure it is to him but you need to know how to keep it easy yourself.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Lee classic loader is how I got started reloading and still use them from time to time. For being a simple device, they turned out nice ammo.

[QU
OTE=Mop;1851424]This is how easy it can be!
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I can listen to that video all day long.... I love listening to the birds and the sounds of the forest

Doc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts