Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an old Marlin from my uncle that is in dire need of a deep clean, fortunately I was able to remove all parts but the rear barrel band screw as it was stripped to hell. I'm going to have my gunsmith extract it, but I will need a replacement rear band screw which seems that I picked the worst time to buy a marlin for $200. I understand they are sold out everywhere with the bankruptcy and i'm going for a shot in the dark here. I just created this account to post this, i'm wondering if anyone has a lead on where a guy can get a rear band screw that will fit, so I can get this old girl out shooting again. Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
34,650 Posts
Did you check ebay?
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
2 Posts
See the post I just made a few minutes ago, coincidentally I spent a good chunk of time today searching the internet, and ended up making my own

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See the post I just made a few minutes ago, coincidentally I spent a good chunk of time today searching the internet, and ended up making my own
It is a great idea that I wouldn't mind doing on a newer band, but I don't want to mod my older one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surely your Gunsmith can fix this? (maybe accessing a replacement screw, or tapping the hole to a larger diameter).
Unfortunately he goes straight to Brownells followed by Numrich in worst case scenario. So finding a replacement is no go.

He picked up a extractor set so we can remove it tomorrow. I'm not sure how much will be left if I can tap it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
That will be the small one and those that do become available are custom made. Jack First will make some I just know when. The old smaller ones are hare to find. Your gunsmith will be able to make one.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That will be the small one and those that do become available are custom made. Jack First will make some I just know when. The old smaller ones are hare to find. Your gunsmith will be able to make one.
Have a great day.
Jim
So there are different sizes huh? Do you have a reference picture by chance? The only differences between rear band screws that I was aware of are that some have the threads near the head, others on the end. I'm not sure which ones newer/older ones have respectively but it will help to have it removed so I can reference it.

If I am lucky and the threads are intact my dad is a tool and die maker by trade and might be able to rig one up for me if they have the right machines at work.

Jack First, good to know. Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not kidding, I have found all kinds of gun screws at ACE hardware. Look for them where they
sell individual loose screws.
Really that's quite interesting to hear, unfortunately my local Ace Hardware went belly up about a month ago so no help there but good to know.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Any good gunsmith with the right machinery should be able to make something that will work. Welcome aboard from Central NYS !

Reactions: Reikovsky

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Wow ! You have a Texan there !

·
Super Moderator
34,650 Posts
Really that's quite interesting to hear, unfortunately my local Ace Hardware went belly up about a month ago so no help there but good to know.
I have one one mile from me and the kicker is my sister works there! I get her discount on everything I buy! Just this morning I bought for my Marlin/Glenfield two tenon screws for my front cap and a thread checker specially for our guns!

ca'jun56

Reactions: Reikovsky

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I said years ago, that little pin they use should be made out of titanium. What causes it is the stock slamming into that pin on recoil. Only permanent fix I found is to put a bead of black Permatex along the edge of the stock where it contacts the barrel & receiver Just wipe off the excess with mineral spirits and you can't even tell it's there. Never had a bent pin again. Also what helps is to never lay your forend on anything hard when firing it, just use you hand.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Some prefer the straight stocked Texan looks and they definitely are not as common.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts