Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a source or have an extra they would sell? Looking for an old style, pre 79, bent spring steel ejector for an 1894 44 Magnum.

The ejector is the top one in the photo compared to the new style at the bottom.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Those are a rare piece.Bent V sheetmetal are pre 79.You should be able to order a replacement from www.wisnersinc.com

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They list them on their website but that list is a little old. They are closed until July 11th and not answering the phones till then so I sent them an e-mail asking about availability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tom, I'm looking for the same part. Is yours intact? If it is, can you measure the darn thing?

I can build a spring if I have to, just didn't want to do it. The last spring I built for an ejector was for an 1897 Winchester pump gun and it's popped over a thousand rounds out since - both shot and loaded (heavy and light) without breaking, but I had a pattern.

Let me know. If you can dimension that darn thing (length, thickness approximate radius of the bend at the apex of the spring, finger height, curvature and width of the apex and the main spring fingers, I'll make us both a couple of springs!

BTW - the easy way to dimension this is measure the thickness and width, then lay the spring down on a sheet of graph paper with 1/4" squares and with the actual shell stop on one line, the length, the relationship of the ejector arm and the ejector hand, and the curvature of the backside spring will be illustrated quite adequately, as will the length of both arms and of the ejector stop. Then with that information, I believe I could manufacture springs from raw material I've already got.

But it all starts with the original, and my original spring has disappeared. I honestly never saw the thing before it broke, didn't see the parts after it broke, and have no idea where the parts went (I think it broke when someone who had borrowed the rifle was shooting it). So, I'm at a relatively complete loss at this point, not knowing where to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would go to Numrich gun parts they have the ejector listed. I spoke with Weisner's a week or two ago and they didn't have any and was not making anymore for 6months. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Old style ejector for Marlin 1894 44 Mag

Tom, I'm looking for the same part. Is yours intact? If it is, can you measure the darn thing?

I can build a spring if I have to, just didn't want to do it. The last spring I built for an ejector was for an 1897 Winchester pump gun and it's popped over a thousand rounds out since - both shot and loaded (heavy and light) without breaking, but I had a pattern.

Let me know. If you can dimension that darn thing (length, thickness approximate radius of the bend at the apex of the spring, finger height, curvature and width of the apex and the main spring fingers, I'll make us both a couple of springs!

BTW - the easy way to dimension this is measure the thickness and width, then lay the spring down on a sheet of graph paper with 1/4" squares and with the actual shell stop on one line, the length, the relationship of the ejector arm and the ejector hand, and the curvature of the backside spring will be illustrated quite adequately, as will the length of both arms and of the ejector stop. Then with that information, I believe I could manufacture springs from raw material I've already got.

But it all starts with the original, and my original spring has disappeared. I honestly never saw the thing before it broke, didn't see the parts after it broke, and have no idea where the parts went (I think it broke when someone who had borrowed the rifle was shooting it). So, I'm at a relatively complete loss at this point, not knowing where to start.
Did you ever get a chance to make that v-style ejector. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has that part in stock or is willing to make any anytime soon. I can't believe it would be that difficult for anyone with some metalworking experience. My ejector is getting a bit worn along the top - I do not want to do any more damage.

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
Have you tried a current style part?.........It should fit and function correctly.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
From everything I've read, the pre-1979 ejector, the bent "v" sheet metal part, is unique to this rifle and modern parts do not fit. That being said, If you know of someone that was able to make a new part work by some sort of modification, please point me in the right direction (email, blog, video, etc) and I will praise your name and my children's children will recount the story of how a total stranger helped their father's father's father in his time of great need. In other words, I'd appreciate it greatly! :)

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
Trap,

I'm NOT looking to be Cannonized, or elected to Sainthood, my wife already had that done!................I'm just offering what I think is the reasonable path for you to take.........Of course, if you're not a Hiker, I don't know what else to suggest.

Just how old is your '94?.....If you're talking about an original 1894, then I can't help you...... But none of the modern Marlin Breech Bolts have ever gone thru a Major config change.............Nor, have the receivers, in the last 40+ years, as far as the Ejector goes...........

If that were my (modern) rifle, I think with a bit of fitting, I could have a current style ejector installed and running in the time it takes for my wife to cook supper.

I hope you find a solution to your dilemma..........

Tom

·
Registered
450 Posts
Tomray- The '69 to '79 94's (they were all 44 mags until the '79 intro of the 357), used a bent spring steel ejector. It does not have a base with the little tit that was used post '79, same design as the 336's. The recess for the base with the tit to fit into is not there, nor is there a hole for the tit. I just went around with this about 2 weeks ago with a 71 vintage '94. There was also a carrier problem with that gun, and in research I found the carrier was changed as well in something like '73, though it is a drop in fit for the earlier, apparently cast and milled, earlier one.
The width of the old ejector is the same as the new version, so it shouldn't bind in the bolt groove it has to ride in (but hold your tongue just so cuz ya never know). You MIGHT be able to rind the tit off and reshape the base of the new style to fit, but I haven't tried this so you're on your own there. If you dig up that thread inthe 1894 forum we did discuss a bit about modifying the receiver, but nothing really indepth. If you decide to try and mod. a new style keep us posted as to the results. Also bear in mind current Marlin parts are getting tougher to find, Brownell's shows more and more as "out of stock, no backorder" and discontinued by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Doubletap. You are entirely correct. I think I paid $12 for mine form Wisners. Drop in fit, no change or work. This was for a 1902 Marlin 94 and the only diference was the original was longer, but this new one works. Another difference is that the ones with a tit had an round small plate on the end that fit in to a c'bore , whereas the older ones just fit in a slot .Give Wisners a call. They will fix you right up.They carry both kinds .

·
Registered
409 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears if you were to grind the round nub off the new style ejector with some minor reshaping it should fit/work in an old style gun.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
I seen some new old stock pre 79 extractors and ejectors a week ago while digging through some parts in a guy's basement. He's been selling them for $25 a piece. I'm going back this week, anyone need any?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Trap,

I'm NOT looking to be Cannonized, or elected to Sainthood, my wife already had that done!................I'm just offering what I think is the reasonable path for you to take.........Of course, if you're not a Hiker, I don't know what else to suggest.

Just how old is your '94?.....If you're talking about an original 1894, then I can't help you...... But none of the modern Marlin Breech Bolts have ever gone thru a Major config change.............Nor, have the receivers, in the last 40+ years, as far as the Ejector goes...........

If that were my (modern) rifle, I think with a bit of fitting, I could have a current style ejector installed and running in the time it takes for my wife to cook supper.

I hope you find a solution to your dilemma..........

Tom
Yeah I used to think that, too, until we had our little conversation the other day with some of the '70s 1894 owners. Haven't seen any documentation anywhere about that production mod, but apparently they had an attack of the cheaps at Marlin in the '70s and came up with this alternate ejector design, which also isn't interchangeable with older or newer ejector styles. And if I had one of those with a busted or missing ejector, it'd be on the mill table and modded pronto for the later style. A fellow could get some skinny unhardened spring steel stock and make such a thing, too, providing he had an original to make a copy of. Kind of glad I didn't get that early SRC that one time I saw one. Just wonder how many 1894s are out there with that folded ejector. Thanks to the original poster for that comparison pic.

Stan S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seen some new old stock pre 79 extractors and ejectors a week ago while digging through some parts in a guy's basement. He's been selling them for $25 a piece. I'm going back this week, anyone need any?
Yes, if it will work in my '64 44Mag, I'd love to get one.

Misner's lists the item I want but, "We are currently out of that part. I do not expect to make any for 5 - 7 months.
Please check back at a later date.
J Wisner"

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yes, if it will work in my '64 44Mag, I'd love to get one.

Misner's lists the item I want but, "We are currently out of that part. I do not expect to make any for 5 - 7 months.
Please check back at a later date.
J Wisner"
Trap

Your 44 mag is a Model 336 and uses the 336 ejector. Brownells carries them.

DD

1 - 20 of 36 Posts