Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine (bandit_3599) acquired a short barreled K-serial numbered 336sc non micro-grooved barrel on Wednesday. I shot my pet load for my micro-grooved 336 out of it yesterday-200 grain Remington Core-Lokt with 38 grains of Varget and WLR primers. My pet load shoots great out of mine and shoots decent out of his, but I was curious if anyone else has a good load for a non micro-grooved 35 Rem. or even a short barrel non-micro-grooved 35 Rem. Thanks in advance Bird Dog.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Bird Dog, taking someone else's load will most likely work like yours did... He needs to work up a load in his to see what it likes. Also since you said its a shorty, so its been cut down.. how is the crown of the barrel look? a bad crown will really mess up groups! how is the ballard rifling? does it look good or is it worn out? has your friend slugged the barrel to check for restrictions or overly large areas? When you get a new to you rifle these things need to be done so you know the condition of the barrel.

I have heard people say that you dont need to slug a barrel if you are not shooting cast.. incorrect! you need to make sure your barrel is good for shooting "J" words as well.

If your load is not Max load then either add or subtract some and try again in his to see how that works out after checking out the crown and barrel.

I dont have my 35 Rem data handy right now but im using IMR-3031

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Doc's 100% right.
Rifles are all a little bit different kinda like two drag cars running the exact same set up. One might produce more horsepower well running rich then the other.
What your rifle likes another rifle exactly like yours might not like. Someone else's load might get you close but odds are you will need to fine tune it to your gun.
I've been working on a load for my 35rem using 220gr Speer FN and lever powder that's looking promising with no pressure signs.
Technology Electronic device Electronics Measuring instrument Pen Finger Brass Hand Metal
not going to get into details as it's a work in progress and haven't been able to test for accuracy and would like to see my SD of 14 a little lower.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I'm working with 2 different 35's. 1 like's the hot and fast (2000 fps) and one like's (1650). Shooting for accuracy of course. And cast.

Reactions: Bird Dog and XMAN

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc, we haven't slugged the barrel. The bore has strong rifling with no pitts or damage visable. The crown that was added looks decent. He taking it to a gunsmith next week to have the factory front sight holes drilled/tapped and to talk to him about rebluing the rifle. I don't have any IMR-3031, but I do have a friend who has a whole pound of IMR-4198 left over from his 444 days that he's going to give me, so i'll give it a try.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Barrel length has NOTHING to do with powder selection! This has been proven repeatedly. The best few powders for any given cartridge are always the best powders regardless of barrel length!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts