Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a H&R Sportsman 9 shot break barrel revolver. There is no model stamped on the gun, but what I have read so far it's supposed to be a Model 999, but not all the descriptions match.

What is stamped on the gun is as follows:

On the left side on the barrel is impressed:
"H&R Sportsman"
"Double Action"

On the right side of the barrel:
"Harrington & Richardson Arms Co.
Worcester, Mass. USA

On the right side of the barrel closer to the cylinder:
"22 Long Rifle Ctg"

On the inside of the grip is the number (with no prefix or suffix):
"39083"

The barrel is 6" long and somewhat tear drop shaped. There is a single piece grip - smooth wood.
There are two patent numbers on the cylinder - appearing to be double struck - hard to read:
"PAT 190473" (or /3)
"PAT 203463" (or 206463)

I would like to know when it was manufactured. I would also like to have disassembly/reassembly instructions, and/or a part diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely a Model 999? Odd they didn't imprint that on the gun.
Any chance of getting any of that article from that book sent to me - or a link of info that I can put with the gun?

Purchased a schematic of the gun model from Gun Digest. Not the same. It shows the firing pin on the frame and a two piece grip. I would like pertinent info on my gun - if possible.

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
My brother had one years ago, it was a fine shooter. The only problem was the .22 brass was very hard to extract from the cylinder?

Reactions: Blaine

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Definitely a Model 999? Odd they didn't imprint that on the gun.
Any chance of getting any of that article from that book sent to me - or a link of info that I can put with the gun?

Purchased a schematic of the gun model from Gun Digest. Not the same. It shows the firing pin on the frame and a two piece grip. I would like pertinent info on my gun - if possible.
I'd scan that part of the page if my printer/copier was working, here's the book if you can located it at a library.

Tim

Gun Show Books -- H&R Arms Co. 1871 - 1986 - A Historical Reference for the Modern Collector

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I can tell you that the older 999's are possibly the most accurate .22 revolvers ever made. At least the one I have is the most accurate revolver or pistol of any caliber that I have ever shot and I have shot hundreds of them. Don't ever get rid of it.

Reactions: Blaine

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have the same revolver but SN 30xxx. Mine had checkered grip on it and it has a very tight chambers. I've only found one brand that loads easily. Most I have to press in and some won't load at all. It's possibly my favorite pistol. Looks like same year span for mine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
OK, I am VERY LATE to the party...........

But this info below -- from old posts by the late Bill Goforth (before he passed, obviously) -- will help anyone ID a 999 Sportsman or a 22 Special.

The $$ values are old info -- so use at your own risk... :dong:

Old No7

H&R 999 Sportsman Info

SPORTSMAN DOUBLE ACTION MODEL 999 LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK . ----------1932-1952
Large frame double action top break revolver; Caliber 22 rimfire (short, long & long rifle) cylinder capacity 9 rounds, 22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF)cylinder capacity 7 rounds; Safety rim cylinder; blue finish only; barrel length 6 inches (ribbed); Automatic cylinder stop; Sights: rear adjustable for windage only, Three different front sights used, full Blade, Partridge type & Partridge type pinned to barrel top rib, all non-adjustable; Finger rest trigger guard; One piece oversized checkered Walnut grips (birds head grip frame shape, Rice frame); frame mounted firing pin, hammer face is flat. Cylinder release is long pivoting lever on right side of frame (there are two different version of this). Serial numbered in its own series from 01 up to at least 89761 by the end of 1939. Starting in 1940 letter codes were used.

Early production until about 1933 the letter code “D” was used to denote double action

First Variation; round heavy weight ribbed barrel with Blade non-adjustable front sight ----1932- to before April 18,1933

Second Variation; adjustable front sight------------1933 (after 4-18-1933)-

Third Variation
; firing pin moved to hammer-------------------------1934

Fourth Variation; three inch barrel was offered----------------------1935

Fifth Variation; two patent dates marked on cylinder (before there was only one)---1936 (after 3-17)-1937

Sixth Variation; top of barrel markings moved to right side of barrel---------------1937-1939

Seventh Variation; 22 WFR caliber dropped, 3 inch barrel dropped--------------1940-1941

Eight Variation; one piece over size plastic grips are standard, limited production during WWII years----1942-1952

VALUE: 100%=$425 60%=$195 Add 15% premium for 1st Variation; %0% for 22WRF caliber; 30% for 3” barrel (scarce)

MODEL 999 SPORTSMAN SECOND MODEL (NEW FRAME)-------1953-1972
Top Break, Double Action, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Length 6 inches, Adjustable Sights
VALUE: NIB:=$425, 95%=$365, 60%=$195

MODEL 999 SPORTSMAN THIRD MODEL (TRANSFER BAR IGNITION)-----------1973-1986
Top Break, Double Action, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Length 4 & 6 inches (4 inch not added until 1979, Adjustable Sights. In 1979 Only the Model name was advertised as Model 999 Automatic-Ejecting and it was offered in that year only in 32 S&W Long caliber, 6 shot.
VALUE: NIB:=$425, 95%=$350, 60%=$175

H&R 22 Special Info

22 SPECIAL LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK------------------1925-1941
6 inch barrel only, 22 Rimfire 9 shot & 22 WRF Caliber 7 shot, blue finish only, 2 piece walnut grips (after 1932 I piece grips)

First Variation, 7 shot 22 rimfire only, over sized 2 piece saw handle shaped walnut grips (serial number range above 490000*)------1926-1928

Second Variation 9 shot 22 rimfire and 7 shot 22WRF (serial number range 510000-559100*)---------1928-1930

Third Variation new rounded 2 piece grip (saw handle shape eliminated) (serial number range unknown)-----------1931-1932

Fourth Variation safety cylinder and new grip frame (RICE FRAME) (serial number range 559100-590000*)------1933-1938

Fifth Variation automatic cylinder stop (serial number range above 590000*)--1939-1942

After 1930 listed in catalogs as: MODEL 944 LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK .22 RIMFIRE CALIBER 9 shot. After 1930 listed in catalogs as: MODEL 945 LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK .22 Winchester Rim Fire CALIBER 7 shot

VALUE: 100%=$330 60%=$150 Add 50% premium for 22 WRF chambering; 15% for 1st Variation; 10% premium for 4th & 5th Variation

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
I just fixed one for a young man. they have a plastic saddle that the main spring rides on and they break. I have had a couple of them and they shot good. don't tell anyone but back in the 70s I killed a gator in the swamp with one. one shot to the head and I had gator tail, it was a little bit against the law,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: Drm50 and Holliday

·
Registered
642 Posts
I remember a women who used to shoot on the neighbors range had one and she would keep the cans dancing at 40 yards with hers. Dad was a Colt man and the way that H&R shot some what surprised him.

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
I just fixed one for a young man. they have a plastic saddle that the main spring rides on and they break. I have had a couple of them and they shot good. don't tell anyone but back in the 70s I killed a gator in the swamp with one. one shot to the head and I had gator tail, it was a little bit against the law,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I just picked up a couple guns this afternoon at my FFL. He showed me a old 999 he just took on trade, nice condition and tight.
He has it priced at $279 reasonable for age and shape. I think he was hoping to sell it to me since I'm probably the only guy he
knows that buys revolvers.
All the H&Rs were known for hard extraction, my old man use to say they should come boxed with a broke blade penknife to
pry out the empties. I have repaired many of the newer model H&Rs that have the plastic saddle on main spring shaft. I cut
them out of Alumilum, in fact I have a index card with pattern and specs if anyone needs it. I'm a bit of a snob, I'll stick with
my S&Ws.

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
I didn't buy it but here is a pic of the H&R down at my FFLs shop. image.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts