Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in acquiring one of those old german pieces, and would like some advice on getting one; what to look for, price, shootability.
Some day I would like to kill a deer with one. I know you can because i read up on the 8mm and it is substansial and then some for deer.
Thanks for any help. -- Rudy

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You looking an old junker to sporterize, or a full millitary version to sort of restore and use as is?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
A very good place for this information is http://www.gunboards.com - there is a forum for all sorts of Mausers and the folks there really know their stuff.

I think there are still some real bargains out there with the Yugoslovian M48s being in that group.

The one & only German made bolt-action i have is a 1904/39 Portugese Vergueiro made in 1903 by Lowe of Berlin. Very high qualirty! SW

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have owned a pile of them and still have seven customized..Only one 1937 K98k because it is my birth year,but have all the other item like bayonet,ammo,ammo pouch,cleaning kit,22 conversion kit made by the original maker ERMA,,complete with a 22 magazine,same date 1937
Still,I think the two best 1898s are the STANDARD MODEL,carried by the factory salemen around the world..And the 1909 Argentine made for them by Mauser..Have one of the 1909s with bayonet and BRAND new condition..Hard to beat any EARLY 98 but the late war pieces are best left where you find them..IMHO..modoc

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I agree about the 1909 Argentine Mauser! I had one & it had the 2nd best trigger of any milsurp I've ever shot. ( Best being on my K31 Swiss)

And accurate!!! It shot tight groups with Norma ammo & I do not like Norma ammo a bit. A box came with the rifle, though.

Traded it off a couple weeks ago as it did not fit in with anything I collect. I like my Vergueiro. Very slick & accurate.

Another Mauser to consider are thr RCs ( Russian Capture) offered by several distributors. SW

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Another place to look is Mitchells Mausers, they do have a web site, and you should see adds in NRA magazines. They look to be in top condition but have never ownend a Mitchell Mauser, maby someone else will let you know. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If you are just after a good shooter, The Israeli K-98 in 7.62 Nato has a good rep. The spanish Fr-8 I have here in the same loading is mucho accurate. It will print into an inch at a hundred yards with the funky needle front, and adjustable peep rear sights. Both handle the .308 Win. cartridge well- even though it's a bit hotter than the original Nato ball ammo. Both are around 300-ish right now on some gun sites...

Mitchell's has sort of a poor rep in collecting circles- read up on them on the site NebrHogger suggested...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doc Sharptail said:
If you are just after a good shooter, The Israeli K-98 in 7.62 Nato has a good rep.
All of the Israeli Mausers are war captures that have been refurbed with FN contract barrels. They can be good shooters, but over the last 10 years, the only examples I have seen have been rode hard and put away wet. They are not particularly collectible and because of their sourcing, the receivers are from many different countries. FR-8s are getting scarce, too, but when you find one, it is generally in good shape.

There are some really good deals on other Model 98s besides the 98K. Czech Vz 24s (my favorite) are available at really good prices, as are Yugo 48s and 48As. I even saw a nice Persian in the store the other day for $300.

The 8x57JS gives nothing up to the 30-06 when heavy bullets are used.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Back about 40 years ago I sporterized a Czech VZ24, retaining the original barrel in 8mm. It had all matching serial numbers and was in very good condition. I had a gunsmith do most of the metal work, while I did the stock, bedding, some metal recontouring, Timminy trigger and final finishing. It's been a superb shooter, easily the equal of my commercial bolt actions. The pre-WWII Czech Mausers have a great reputation for quality and strength. However, I'd caution anyone wanting to shoot one of these old Mausers to have a gunsmith check it out, particularly for headspace and general safely. If it's a good, clean and safe gun, it'll give lots of fun shooting, either in original military configuration or sporterized. By the way, with labor being what it is now, and with these rifles getting more scarce every day, sporterizing one probably reduces it's value and isn't very economical like it once was.

·
Registered
198 Posts
janott said:
Another place to look is Mitchells Mausers, they do have a web site, and you should see adds in NRA magazines. They look to be in top condition but have never ownend a Mitchell Mauser, maby someone else will let you know. Good luck.
Mitchells Mausers are "remanufactored" better than original. Hence, not original. They are pretty though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have enjoyed a Yugo M48 I picked up a couple of years ago. I have a separate stock for it and a scope mount that fits where the rear sight attaches. No gunsmithing required. That way I get to keep the military stock and sling in great shape (all of mine are original and matching serial numbers). The 8x57 Mauser round is great for most any game in North America, to include Moose. Hornady and Wolf Gold shoot very well through mine. A very affordable option. 8)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have an 1909 Argentine mauser 7.65 . I bought it from my father-in- law who operated a gun shop in the early seventies . It was in mint condition. He sporterized it for me , leaving the original barrel in it. It is a tack driver, have killed several deer with it, I gave him $ 50.00 for it before it .

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have a Big 5 Sporting Goods store around they are selling Yugo Mausers again, 24/47's. They are fine shooters and shoot the 8mm Mauser ammo same as the the K98. I think they are nicer than the M48. They are selling for $299.00, I think. I bought 2 when they were clearing out there old guns last year for $99.00 ea.

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Don't discount the swedish mauser. I absolutely love mine. It was manufactured in 1909 at Carl Gustafs Gevarsfaktori. It fires the 6.5x55 swede which is one heck of a cartridge and even better if you reload because that stuff is expensive! The swedish mausers are known for being some of the most accurate and from what I've heard rivals the swiss K31. Mine is very accurate and will shoot better than I can do; the trigger is the best on any milsurp I've felt (haven't felt the k31's trigger yet but will have one soon...).

·
Registered
822 Posts
One of my old friends has an 8mm k98 his dad brought back from WWII.
I saw him shoot a buck running away at about 20 yds...the bullet went in thru the deers right haunch and exited his chest. Needless to say it dropped dead as a stone.

I wish I had a pic of that rifle to post. It was given to his dad who was a camp guard in Italy towards the end of the war by group of German POWs. It was elaborately and expertly carved with oak leaf clusters and his initials on the buttstock and finger grooves on the forend. Apparently he had treated them with kindness and had earned their respect. The story goes that they told him that they were leaving to fight the Russians who were at that time overrunning Germany , and that he could either let them go or die. He calmly opened the gate and said good luck and good hunting.

Needless to say it is his prized possession and one he will pass on to his son.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts