Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Marlin lever action with the two piece firing pin; need to know just how the flat spring is supposed to fit when reassembling, does it bow up or down & where does it fit....
Also my rifle has Marlin '94 on the top stock tang; 32W on the barrel in front of receiver, what type of cartridge does this rifle shoot?...... has patent dates of 1887, 1889 & 1893, are any of these dates the date of manufacture?
The barrel is round and little over 23 inches; serial # 301668............ the receiver looks as though it has case hardening colors; was the barrel blued or cased hardened coloring also...
Any info would be greatly appreciated................Ron.............

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
The flat spring has a small bend in it. that fits into a slot on top of the long front firing pin. So that the spring pushes down the back firing pin.
I included some pictures of a 336 action. The firing pins work the same.

The serial # puts it at 1904. But they didn't start calling them 94's until 1905. Prior to that they were 1894's. It is possible that the receiver was made in 1904,
but the gun was not assembled until latter. The caliber is 32-20 Winchester. It is a pistol cartridge.
The barrel is measured from the inside of the receiver, so it probably is a 24". Most came with casehardened frames, hammer,lever, and forearm cap. The bolt could have
been blued or casehardened. The barrel and magazine were blued. The patent dates only refer to when different parts of the design were patented.

And welcome to Marlin Owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Schtoolee, this was the info that I needed and the pictures help also......Thanks for a rapid response and for such a great web-site...........Ron.............

·
Registered
631 Posts
Isn't is nice to belong to a forum where a question is answered in a civil manner and nobody is always going use the search feature? That is the reason I not only belong, but spend most of my online time here. Thanks to all the upstanding MO members.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts