Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a Marlin 1892 from my grandfather, who was a firearms collector.
The tang says: Model 1892
Top of receiver says: Marlin Safety
Barrel has company name and patent dates. I see no indication of caliber. Serial number is 190XXX.

My questions are:
1. How do I know what caliber it is?
2. It only has one firing pin. How do I know if it's center or rimfire?
3. And here's the big one: how do I get the magazine plug out?!? It looks like a normal rimfire plug - turn it and pull to remove the spring rod - but it doesn't budge at all. There is a slot cut into the plug from the outside to the center. I don't know what it is for or if maybe there is a part or three missing that fit in that slot to help remove the plug. I thought I would check here before I break out the cutting torch and pipe wrench. Haha

Thanks folks!

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello BDarrow, and welcome to MO. There should be a caliber designation on the top or side of the barrel just behind the rear sight. I believe it is a .22 and
there should be a lever in the plug. Hopefully someone that has actually used one of these will chime in soon. You've got a beautiful rifle, enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello BDarrow, and welcome to MO. There should be a caliber designation on the top or side of the barrel just behind the rear sight. I believe it is a .22 and
there should be a lever in the plug. Hopefully someone that has actually used one of these will chime in soon. You've got a beautiful rifle, enjoy.
Thanks Machinist,
Still didn't find a caliber. It's larger than a 22. I stuck the bullet end of a 300 win mag down the muzzle and it swallowed the bullet until the cartridge case hung up on the muzzle. Maybe a 32? But I am ignorant as to what calibers the 92 was chambered in.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The model 92 was chambered in .22 and .32 rimfire or .32 long or short Colt center fire. Two firing pins were furnished with the rifle and
could be changed without tools due to the takedown feature of the rifle. I still can't tell you exactly how the mag tube works.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi BD, As with just about every old Marlin, neat rifle! Old Machinist is right, yours is a 32 cal. Unfortunately ammo is very difficult to find. The magazine on these old Marlins is a bit different in that the outside tube slides up to expose a loading port on the inside tube. Yours is obviously missing the release latch, but the outside tube should still slide up unless it is stuck by rust, etc. You might try some judicious application of a penetrating oil. It's pretty difficult to find magazine parts for the old Marlins, but you might check around with different parts suppliers for a new magazine latch, which you pretty much will have to have to make it work. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
BDarrow,
Welcome to the forum. Neat rifle! I have owned an 1892 .32 Marlin for several years now.
The barrel on your rifle is 2" longer than standard (or 4" of the barrel is 28") which would make it a bit more rare.
Here is a thread with lots of info.....
.32 Long Colt ,Need Help

THere is a reloading tool presently on Ebay (ending soon) for the .32 Long Rifle which is the same as the .32 Long Colt that the rifle is chambered for.
Ideal Antique Reloading Tool 8 32 Long Rifle 32 L R Vintage Reloading Equipment | eBay

w30wcf

Reactions: ia1727

·
Registered
14 Posts
BDarrow I have a '92 32 caliber. My older brother bought the gun back in the late 40s. The hammer spring was broken & the sights missing. He never bothered to get it up and running. My sister got the rifle after my brother passed, and she gave it to me about 4 years ago. I was able to get parts and is now in firing condition alto I'm still having problems with the extractor. It has a center fire firing pin and I was able to run down a box of 50 rounds of colt shorts. A brother of a friend also came up with a box of rim fires so now I need a rim fire firing pin. Rounds are spendy if they can be found. I paid $50+ for the center fires and $35+- for the rims. I suggest goggling Wisner's, a gun parts dealer out here in the PNW. You can look up Marlins by model #s and click and get a picture of the various pins. A rim fire pin is $21 and CF is $25. Wisner's also has photos of various models broken down. It might be of some help with your tube. I looked all over my rifle and never did find the caliber stamped any where. Midway has 32 colts listed but out of stock. They claim they do seasonal runs and I am on their notification list when the do make a run. Nothing yet. Good luck on getting your new possession in working order.
Dick B

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a marlin model 92, you can google "marlin model 92 serial number info' or things like that when enter the serial number it will tell you what year it was made, my s/n 343402 shows mine was made in 1906 for example, most after 1905 were made 32 rimfire, but the gun is odd it is convertible to 32 centerfire! if yours is 32 rimfire you could loose any value converting to centerfire but if you can get ammo go for it, there is not any extreme value on these yet. and as far as magazine tube if you didn't free it yet spray ends where looks like it should turn with a penetrating oil little at time for few days, keep turning gun over every time you do.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
I have a marlin model 92, you can google "marlin model 92 serial number info' or things like that when enter the serial number it will tell you what year it was made, my s/n 343402 shows mine was made in 1906 for example, most after 1905 were made 32 rimfire, but the gun is odd it is convertible to 32 centerfire! if yours is 32 rimfire you could loose any value converting to centerfire but if you can get ammo go for it, there is not any extreme value on these yet. and as far as magazine tube if you didn't free it yet spray ends where looks like it should turn with a penetrating oil little at time for few days, keep turning gun over every time you do.
All of the 32 caliber 1891's, 1892's, and 92's, are convertible from rimfire, to centerfire. All you do is change out the firing pin.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Great info here and at the cascity.com site that 30wcf marked.

I saw a 1892 Marlin in the used rack at the LGS a few days ago, labeled 32 rimfire, so while I admired it, I did not ask the folks to take the lock off so I could inspect it. Big mistake. 32 rimfire scared me off.

Here I am today researching it and you folks and the cascity folks tell me everything there is to know about it - so I went in the house and told you know who that there was trouble in River City again. The marlinitis is flaring up again.

Maybe it will be gone Monday when I go up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts