Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at a gun show in Birmingham on the 20th I passed a vendor's table and saw a Marlin. From it's looks I could tell it was 60's ventage so I picked it up and looked it over. It was a 44 magnum 336. I have wanted one for a while but had not at all done enough homework to know the time preiod these rifles were manufactured nor did I know what a decent price would be.

The gent at the table told me that Marlin only made the 336 44 mag only one year. I know they are rare but only one year?

His price was $500. I have paid this much and more for some nice older Marlins but not having a clue as to how much was a fair offer I delined.

I'd say the rifle was in about 95% condition.

I met Bman there, he agreed that the DOM is about 68 or so.

So tell me, should I have bought it?

Thanks

SS

·
Registered
697 Posts
My understanding is a version was made in '62 and '63 without the brass ring. Around 3000 made. Next came the Texan with the brass saddle ring from '64 to '67 with over 13k made. I bought a '67 in great shape and paid $450. One was just on Gunbroker with an opening bid price of $375 with no reserve. It looked to be in great shape. It went around once with no bids. Sold on the next run through. I almost bid. There are less of these than the 375 Win. Ranch Dog has one also and just like me he loves it. Neat guns. Rick

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Sidespin,
Gooooo Baaaack aaaaand ggggget the rrrrifle :lol: Ya know ya want it!! The price sounds ok.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it did have a saddle ring.

Big Med, you may be right, I'll be looking on gunbroker for one.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I have a 336 44 magnum with a Z prefix, and it does not have a brass ring. Marlin would add them from the factory if it was returned. The 336 44 magnum's didn't all come with the ring, as I have seen 4 or 5 over the years, and only one had a brass ring.

Shum8

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I don't think they offered anything but brass rings. Every one I have ever seen fron the factory were brass.

S

·
Registered
336 Posts
Question?

Of you folks that own a 336 .44 mag, have you ever experienced any jamming problems?

I have heard that being the 336's action was designed for the longer calibers, such as the .30-30, etc., it would sometimes jam when chambering a .44 round. I have questioned this in my own mine, with a raised eyebrow because I own a Winchester 94AE calibered in .44mag and have never experienced a jam. And like the 336 the Winny '94 was also designed for rifle calibers.

Next to the .35 Remington, the .44 mag is one of my all time favorite cartridges. It really is a perfect caliber to put in a lever action rifle, in my opinion.

I have never seen a 336 in that caliber. It would have really caught my eye as well. Good luck, Sidespin.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Leverpuller said:
Of you folks that own a 336 .44 mag, have you ever experienced any jamming problems?
I've owned mine a couple of years now and probably shoot a couple hundred rounds out of mine a month. Over the last couple of weeks I've shot it several hundred rounds a week. Mine never jams.

My guess on it discontinuing was Marlin's want to introduce the modern 1894 and keep the pistol cartridges on that frame. In the 336 frame, Marlin knows guys like me are going to push the reloading to the 42.0K PSI level (same as the 30-30) and that just makes them very uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
shum8 said:
I have a 336 44 magnum with a Z prefix, and it does not have a brass ring. Marlin would add them from the factory if it was returned. The 336 44 magnum's didn't all come with the ring, as I have seen 4 or 5 over the years, and only one had a brass ring.

Shum8
I believe they came with a plug screw so the customer could remove the ring if he wanted to.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
shum8 said:

Shum8
That's an early rifle, the year before they where cataloged! Definately a keeper!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I should have bought it. I don't remember the gent's name but will look for another. So the price is OK? Anyone know what Bluebook is?

But, I'm not sure I could have escaped with a clear concience if I had bought it. I got a light/lazer combo for my son's Springfield XD - .40, a hand made knife for my other son and a bunch of 9mm, .40 and .45 ammo.

When I left for the show, my wife said "don't buy any guns, you have enough..."

SS

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Unfortunately, Blue Book on this one is useless.....It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Ya don't run across them everyday.

Mine's definately a keeper - Dad bought the year after I was born, shot the snot out of it, gave it to me, and by golly, it still has a little snot left. It's a tack-driver......And no, never failed to eat anything it was fed.

As for folks stokin 'em hot - I hate to admit it, but it's digested rounds that would make a Contender wince without the slightest hickup :shock:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have one with a Z prefix. I called Marlin a while ago and I believe they told me end of '62 or early '63. No saddle ring, never jams, very accurate. Paid $350 plus tax a couple of years ago at a local shop, in excellent, all-original condition. I've seen asking prices MUCH higher than that.

It's the one on the bottom, along with my model 1895 from 1972 (first year of modern manufacture) with a Leupold 1-4 Vari-X II and a good recoil pad (highly recommended with warm loads!).

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
hoppes-no9 said:
I also have one with a Z prefix. I called Marlin a while ago and I believe they told me end of '62 or early '63.
prefix was a 64 gun......I guess it was made the same year as me........But it's in better shape than I, though.

I'll see if I can scrounge up a pic -

Shum8

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
MY Ynumbered 336-44mag,no ring,no plug screw,shoots very well,never jamms with mag.loads but has tried to double-feed a couple times with 180gr.44Spl.The brl is marked 44mag.It is not intended to fire 44spl.but workes fine in a plinking situation and an occasional jamm is no big deal.But when I go to the woods its"MAGNUMS ONLY"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts