Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I bought this Marlin 1894 when I turned 18 years old (10 years ago) and I ran into some troubles with it after owning it for about a year... I was hoping you guys can maybe help me pick out parts or maybe give me some advice and tips on how to fix these issues. I intended to fix the rifle a long time ago but I got busy with life and now I'm ready to get her to 100% again :)

For starters, my safety loosely moves around and it either gets stuck, or it goes from safe to fire with gravity alone

DEVbaQX.jpg

Similar thing is happening with my front sight. Its loosely sitting there and the only thing keeping it from falling off is the hood

sTrWoIe.jpg

This one was actually my fault. The rear sight got bent when the rifle slipped from a pole that it was resting on. I'm not sure if the metal is damaged or the sight itself, its really hard to tell

R64Lj3v.jpg

I hope you guys can help me choose parts or give me some advice!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
One the safety, you can either delete it or fix it. To delete, buy a delete kit from Bear Tooth (IIRC). To fix it you need to remove the lockscrew on the backside of the frame(buttstock off) and see if the spring is broken, detent missing or both. Some guys will stretch a small o-ring around one side of it to keep it in the fire position.

The rear sight- loose fit dovetail. Remove the elevator. Slide a business card under the sight to protect the barrel. Use a plastic or brass mallet, a nylon or brass punch, and drive the sight off to the right. You can tighten a sloppy dovetail cut in the barrel by peening the tops down lightly. Do not overdo it. Also check to make sure the sight dovetail is not junk. Those can get worn too. If it is, get a new rear sight from Midwest gun works. Drive the new sight on from the right side to the left. Use the business card to protect barrel.

Front sight- depending on how loose it is, you might be able to put a drop of red locktite on each dovetail cut, slide it in and center it, then leave it overnight. Make sure everything is clean, dry and oil free before adding the locktite. Other than that, you could have a front sight insert that is not correct, or the sight base could be out of spec. You can tighten that same as the rear by lightly peening the dovetail, HOWEVER, DO NOT make the mistake of beating on the sight base while it is screwed to the barrel. Remove it first or you risk breaking the front sight screws attaching it to the barrel. I wish I had a dollar for all the times I've had to fix broken off front sight base screws on a Marlin.
The correct way to drive a front sight on or off a screwed on base is with a sight pusher tool or make sure the base is supported by a solid block so that the force used to knock the sight in or off is not absorbed by the screws. The base must take the blow, not the screws. That design is one thing Marlin got wrong. Both base screws should have been accessible with the sight in place, not have one screw under it. That forces you to mount/dismount the insert while it's screwed to the barrel with those tiny screws that barely have any threads in the barrel already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice!!

I just took apart the Marlin to check the safety and it is indeed missing the ball bearing and spring. I must have disassembled it a long time ago and lost the parts.... I don't even remember doing anything that stupid. I did a Google search and I can't find the parts for it, is there a way I can get them?

In regards to the rear and front sight would something like this be good for a replacement? https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993378 I've always wanted to get either tang or ghost ring sights and I think I'm leaning more towards ghost ring. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Try Midwest gun works or Numrich for the ball and spring.
For replacement sights, it's all about your taste. XS are decent but some don't like the bigger ghost ring. I have a set on one of my 444's and like them. I also have Ranger Point Precision sights, Skinner Express, Williams etc. Ranger Point makes a great slot blank filler if you decide to remove the factory sight. They are rounded to match the barrel profile and come black or stainless. Makes for a really clean look.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Welcome to MO from SW Ohio.

Glad that all your fixes are small ones and should be easy to repair.

Reactions: Garay002

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I managed to fix the rifle! All thats left is to fix the safety button :) I called a place in KY about the safety ball and spring but the man misunderstood me and sent the wrong part, but its okay :) I'm just happy to get the rifle to where it is now. These are the parts I went with for the sight replacements. Thank you for the help!

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/marlin-cloverleaf-peep-sights-fiber-optic-traditional-brass-black-stainless/

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/fiber-optic-front-sights

EDIT: Thank you M1 for all of the information. And I also really appreciate everyone's input as well :)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts