Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 989m2 does not have any sights on it, I am having trouble making up my mine what to use on it.

I have been looking at red dot, scope, and iron sights; the iron sight that caught my eye is the tec-sight tsm200 it pretty close to the original
iron sights. I have also looked at the Bushnell trs25 red dot and the Bushnell 4x32mm.

I need some thoughts on which to use.

jic

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
The Tech sights would require you to D&T the screw holes for the front sight, the rear sight alone is too high to use with the exsisting front sight. If you are interested there are currently 2 rear sights for the 99M1 and 989M2 for sale on E-bay and 1 for sale on Gunbroker. Only one of them is priced decently at $51.00, the other 2 are around $100.00. Skinner and Williams makes a rear sight for the grooved receiver but I don't know if it would work with the front sight on the rifle. I scoped my M2 but I am keeping the original sight, otherwise I would send it to you. A small 4 power scope would be more than enough for the rifle and wouldn't kill your wallet.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Tech sights would require you to D&T the screw holes for the front sight, the rear sight alone is too high to use with the exsisting front sight. If you are interested there are currently 2 rear sights for the 99M1 and 989M2 for sale on E-bay and 1 for sale on Gunbroker. Only one of them is priced decently at $51.00, the other 2 are around $100.00. Skinner and Williams makes a rear sight for the grooved receiver but I don't know if it would work with the front sight on the rifle. I scoped my M2 but I am keeping the original sight, otherwise I would send it to you. A small 4 power scope would be more than enough for the rifle and wouldn't kill your wallet.
This one does not have the rear sight or front sight, I would go with the tec-sight, but I'm not found of having to drill a hole in the barrel. I probably will go with a re dot or a small 4x scope.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
This one does not have the rear sight or front sight, I would go with the tec-sight, but I'm not found of having to drill a hole in the barrel. I probably will go with a re dot or a small 4x scope.
A gunsmith should be able to do the D&T fairly cheaply but then you have to add that to the cost of the sight and see if it's worth it. A scope or red dot may be cheaper but it all depends on what you want, some people prefer open sights to scopes/dots. Good luck on your decision.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
I understand your reluctance to drill a barrel. None the less - here goes. You never - ever pay someone to do what you can do yourself. Any guy can drill steel and thread a hole - or should be able to. It's not rocket science. Even cheap taps from Harbor Freight will do. If you can drizzle syrup evenly onto a waffle you can do this. Practice on some black gas pipe for experience. Unless you are making $50 an hour just do it yourself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand your reluctance to drill a barrel. None the less - here goes. You never - ever pay someone to do what you can do yourself. Any guy can drill steel and thread a hole - or should be able to. It's not rocket science. Even cheap taps from Harbor Freight will do. If you can drizzle syrup evenly onto a waffle you can do this. Practice on some black gas pipe for experience. Unless you are making $50 an hour just do it yourself.[/QUOTE

It's not the problem of doing it myself,which I could do,I'm set up for it. The problem I have is having that tapped hole at the end of the barrel, my question is what will it do to the value of the gun
if I ever sell it.

I've made up my mine to put a red dot on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.