Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddys .357 Smith was nasty, lots of grit and leaf matter and such in it from being a heavy duty woods roamin gun. I took off the handles and side plate to clean. When I opened the cylinder it all pulled forward and released all the cylinder assembly (pardon my lack of terms for these parts) now if you open the cylinder and point the gun down and shake it the entire assembly will drop to the ground. It was having these problems prior to my hands on it. For example when you open the cylinder you could not close it until you pulled the assembly back tight where it goes.

What keeps these tight and why is this one loose?

And.... even though he let the barrel rust terribly and it wouldn' t even cock back due to grit and you could shake out enough leaf matter and grit from his holster to fill a saucer, when I open up the side plate, none of that crap had made it inside, it was only rusty and slightly gritty. Do any of you usual suspects know whats wrong? .dT

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The front-most screw of the sideplate (right above the trigger) retains the cylinder yoke. If the screw is removed (or the wrong screw is installed), the entire cylinder and yoke will drop free if pointed toward the ground.

If I am understanding you right, the hammer will not cock if the cylinder is opened? This is correct operation, but..... if the hammer still won't cock while the cylinder is closed, then there may be some crap jamming up the center pin of the extractor assy', not forcing the cylinder-latch bolt to move rearward and out of the way of the hammer (the pin that sticks out from the back of the cylinder should push on the "button" at the rear of the cylinder cutout and cause the cylinder-release button to move rearward).

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Tedak said:
The front-most screw of the sideplate (right above the trigger) retains the cylinder yoke. If the screw is removed (or the wrong screw is installed), the entire cylinder and yoke will drop free if pointed toward the ground.
Ted is on the money. The front sideplate screw also retains the yoke and cannot be interchanged with the other two screws. On older Smith revolvers this screw was hand fitted to the yoke and the corresponding groove in the arm of the yoke that fits inside the frame was flat bottomed. S&W later changed this screw to one with a spring loaded plunger in it, and the groove in the yoke arm was changed to a "V" shape.

If it's the original design, there's a good chance the two round headed screws have been swapped (the flat headed screw always goes under the grip panel). If it is the later design, I suppose there's a chance the plunger is frozen, jammed or missing.

Oh...one other thing. When you get a chance .DT...smack your buddy up-side the head for treating a Smith & Wesson this way! ;)

Roe

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, thats sounds like a fix. I'll have a look at it for him soon.

When I was speaking of the gun not even cocking I was talking about how filled with crap it was. I shot a couple cylinders worth through it today dang thang fits me better than my Ruger, maybe someday I'll have one.

Thanks for the help. .DT

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Everyone needs a Smith, just because! They are one nice gun. Especially the older ones. I own several smiths. If you get a model 17, 22LR from the 70's or even the 50's is better you will fall in love with it.

John

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I hope the fix is just that easy for you DT! 8) My old Marine buddy called long distance a couple of years ago, because he was out shooting his heavy-barrelled 29 "classic" and the darn cylinder and yoke dropped right out on him. I asked him if that same screw was tight.... he said nope, it's just barely in the threads. He was pretty happy about the easy fix too! :D

jpickar said:
Everyone needs a Smith, just because! They are one nice gun. Especially the older ones. I own several smiths.
I agree and I was raised on S&W wheelguns. I used to turn my nose up at Rugers until about 2000 or so ::). I've been a Ruger fan ever since, but the older Smiths still have a place in my heart and my gunsafe. ;) M640, M66, M57, M657, M&P (also had's :'(, 3" M37, 4" M66, 3" M629, 4" M629, 3" M60)

That's just my take and I ain't tryin' to start a debate. I just miss pre-IL S&W's. :'(

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
**Update**

Ted, Roe,
Turns out I had placed the flat headed screw up front and the round head under the grip, a quick switchy and all is well. Thanks again. .DT

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
jpickar said:
Roe is the Man!! 8)
Oh Lordy, don't say stuff like that, even in jest. If his head gets any bigger my sombrero won't even fit him! ::)

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Barenjager said:
It wouldn't fit now....

....I've got hair! 8)
Well, so do I, Mister Smarty Pants! Just not where I used to have it. ::)

Hey, here's a radical new idea..............let's talk about GUNS!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts