Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 35 and want to start reloading. Have never done it b4. Where do I start & what do I need? Any & all help appreciated. Any body have any no longer needed equip. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Super Moderator
11,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Well congrats on the new to you 35! :)
The very first thing you will need is a good loading manual, and actually a few manuals so you can compare recipes!!!
I would start with Lyman 49th edition! Read it and read it again! The ABC's of loading I hear is a good manual too!?
This is where everyone needs to begin to be safe and efficient, IMHO....

Best of luck to you, and we're here to help anyway we can!

BloodGroove4570. :tee:

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I second buying the Lee reloading manual...next is buy a kit that has all the stuff in it...again the Lee kit is about 1/2 the price of other brands (might have a manual in it - not sure)...next is a lb of powder -brass - some primers - bullets and dies....its a lot to absorb initially but the pay back is really fast....you'll enjoy it....

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
The ABC's of Reloading is a step by step instruction book. It will take you from soup to nuts on the subject. It is excellent in its information, but has very little on load data. You will still need a reloading manual for load data. I like the Lee Reloading Manual, latest edition.

Once you read one of the manuals, you will have a better idea of what equipment you need and how much you will need to invest to make it so.

In the meantime you can be looking at gunshows, yard sales, Craig's List for a used single stage press. You can probably stay under $50 for used. Or be thinking of which Lee press looks best to your budget. The remainder of your shopping list can be had for less than $100.

Afterwards, there is plenty of help to be had on the Forum.

Welcome.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you're here! There is a lot of stuff in the reloading section of Marlin Owners as previously mentioned! John

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just purchased a 35 and want to start reloading. Have never done it b4. Where do I start & what do I need? Any & all help appreciated. Any body have any no longer needed equip. Thanks for the assistance.
Bob, what caliber you wanted to get started with? Many years ago all of us got started down this road you are about to travel and the info you have been given so far about reading Lees reloading book, the ABC's of reloading, etc. are spot on. First thing you should do. I would advise getting the Lee Classic Loader (Midway has them for around $29) for many of the popular calibers and they are what many still use, including me. As close to loading a perfect round for the beginner IMO. Can't go wrong with this kit. Has everything you need to load single rounds all in a small 5 x 6 case you can almost fit in your pocket. Can carry to the range and load right off your bench if you want. Now with being said, you will need to buy a set of scales to weigh your powder, maby an inertia bullet puller for when you make a mistake and need to pull a round out of your brass, a little tool to clean out the primer pocket after knocking out a spent primer, and possibly a tool to trim your brass because it will grow after repeated firing and need trimming to spec. for that caliber. That is about it other than the brass, bullets, and primers. Oh, maby some case lube for resizing your cases after being fired ( I use Imperial myself) but there are many others out there. Those basic brass, bullets, and primers are hard to find anywhere right now unless you have already stock piled these up...so be for warned. Let us know how all works out.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome, lots of good advise here. Don't pass it up

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
woot! New 35Rem in the house! Bob, what you are asking for is a LOT of info! The manuals are a good start! They step by step walk you through the process. Once you read the basics, go to youtube and watch some videos on how to reload. The hard part is in the setup, the equipment isn't difficult to use, but there is a large amount of styles of presses and they range from the very inexpensive to the very expensive! These are general answers to your very general question because each person has their own idea of what to use based on manufacturer, amount of ammo you want to load at a sitting, ease of change-over for different calibers, etc. etc.
Do a little research and then come back with more specific questions and we'll be all over that!!!
Congrats and welcome to Marlin owners!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...Check the Reloading section of this forum...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Also agree that buying a reloading manual or manuals is the first step. I am very partial to the old tried and true Lyman manuals, and #49 is the most current. Has both lead and jacketed bullet loading data and will walk you through the various loading steps. Also contains information about case preparation, powder, and primers.

If your are going to shoot lead bullets, the Lyman cast bullet manual is also very helpful.

If you do decided to take up reloading after reading the manual, do not be surprised that you find some bullets, brass, and powder in short supply and difficult to find.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, HIkayaker,

I am interested in reloading as well. Maybe I am nuts or something, but I spent near a $100 just on How To books. I don't know maybe I'm paranoid or something, but I just didn't trust using one. Probably if I would have ask you or some of the veterans on here I could have saved a bunch of bucks.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Spend a little time at the library and do a little reading on the subject of reloading. That will give you way more knowledge than what someone can write in a post here. Just check out a book on reloading and don't look back. As far as equipment I like the RCBS dies and reloader. I have the wood chucker and have used it for over 30 years without a problem. The dies have instructions on how to use them and the books with tell you what powder to use and what weight of bullet. The rest is just paying attention. If you get a Lee hand loader you can be loading for less that $25.00 Plus the cost of supplies.

That is the Best advice I can give you. Hope it helps.
Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
welcome to the MO from the motor city! got a case of marlinitis and reloader's syndrome to go along with it! congratulations on the rifle!:congrats:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts