Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Need Help with my new 1894C

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  shuttleman 
#1 ·
I just picked up a new 1894C yesterday and noticed that where the carrier assembly front tab goes through that rectangle cut out on the bottom front of the receiver, mine sits to the left side and hits a bit when the action is worked. Is this how they are made or should it be centered in the receiver cut-out?

Thanks, Tom

#2 ·
If the rifle works and functions with no stoppages then I don't believe it's a problem .If its not feeding properly then it is.;eg. If that part doesn't drop down smoothly every time rounds will not feed out of the tube if the y are[feeding smoothly] then leave it and eventually it will wear in and will fall down smoothly after a couple of hundred rounds if not send it back or break out a fine file whichever your personal ability's dictate.Shootrj2003

#3 ·
Carrier Assembly

Hi, shuttleman
Welcome to the forum from another newbie. I have a grandfather "C" to your .357. I just checked my action and the tab is is slightly off center to the left but not touching the frame. I consider the action smooth and have not had a problem with jamming. I agree with shootrj2003. If there is no problem you areprobably OK. If not it is under warranty. Send it back. In either case may not hurt to have a chat with the Marlin Tech people. Let us know what they offer up. They are sweet shootin' long guns.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

#5 ·
If the gun is brand-new, I'd call Marlin and ask if they would worry about functioning. You could always round that corner a bit, to help it a little, but if they say it could be an issue, I'd let them deal with it. I just checked all four of my Marlins, and none of them are more than a little off.

And again, welcome to my favorite forum! Invite your friends (the right-thinking ones, anyway! :wink: ) Pull up a chair and stay awhile, this is a very cool palce to hang out. Thanks to this site, my chair cushion is now a perfect fit to my keister! I had to blame something..... :roll:

PJ (Pathetically Jaded)

#6 ·
First off thanks to all for the great welcome to the forum. I did go back to the shop where I got the rifle and looked at four others and all were pretty much centered. As my carrier tab was catching on the cut out they gladly swapped it out for another.

I do have a question on ammo....Most of my 357/38 are for my revolver and are round nose and in reading the round nose is not the way to go with tube magazines feed rifles. So what is the favored round in 357 and 38 for plunking those metal targets at 50 - 100 yds.

Thanks, Tom

#7 ·
Many folks shoot the RN .38 Special with no problem, me among them. Cartridge length overall seems to be the critical consideration with these guns. Full WC will tie them up quick! (DON'T ask :oops: :wink: :lol: )

#8 ·
Ammunition

Hi, shuttleman
Glad to hear you have one of those credible gunshop owners. I would definitely keep this one and give them all your business. Most would have just sent the 1894 back to Marlin for you at best or tried to play with it at worst. To respond to your question. You may be referring to the fact that it is unsafe, nay dangerour to put the pointy bullet stuff in a tube feed rifle, as you can well imagine. The recoil may cause the point of the rear bullet to Kiss butt (primer) of the preceding one and it would get all excited and ignite and that would get all the ones in front of it excited too and it would be a real kiss butt party with the rifle paying the consequenses. Round nose are actually the preferred shape with hollow points working well. Semiwadcutters and wadcutters are usually asking for trouble as there is no real feed ramp per se to guide them and jamming can be a problem, hence the * in the instruction manual.

TaKe CaRe
Ted

#9 ·
I was kind of concerned about SWC's myself ,but,not only did they feed as well as anythjing else ,they were the most qaccurate out of my .44 mag.1894 .It is the most un-fussy Marlin I have ,even if I just dump them in the ejection port they never give a problem.Shootrj2003

#10 ·
shuttleman said:

I do have a question on ammo....Most of my 357/38 are for my revolver and are round nose and in reading the round nose is not the way to go with tube magazines feed rifles. So what is the favored round in 357 and 38 for plunking those metal targets at 50 - 100 yds.

Thanks, Tom

hmmmm I load a light .357 LRN that shoots nicely in both my S&W 686 and the Marlin 1894c ... the light load keeps velocity down below 950 fps in the carbine and below 900 fps in the revolver, so as to avoid leading the barrels. I've experienced no problems with the LRN bullets in the Marlin tube feed.

Hook686

#11 ·
I don't remember who wrote the article, but I saw one a few years back about trying to MAKE a tube-fed gun set off primers with pointed bullets. The gist of the piece was that it was hard to make it happen, but even when it did it wasn't all that destructive. There was some damage, but while your hand might wind up hurting, it would still have all the fingers it had before.

Now that I think about it, I'm inclined to say the writer was C. Rodney James, a guy who knows a bit about things that go bang unexpectedly.

I don't worry much about detonation, I know it's possible, but I've never heard of a case of it happening outside of a lab in the last 50 years.

Papajohn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.