Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me what I have aquired from my late grandfather. I know the obvious Marlin Golden 39A 22 cal lever action. Is this little rifle something special with the squirrel on the stock that should become my safe queen? I'm looking forward to cleaning this little family heirloom up for taking small game or should I keep it in the safe due to possible rare gun? Oh yeah the serial # is U 11XX

Thank you
RCC
Design Wood Leather Wood stain Wallet

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,536 Posts
Shoot it! Enjoy. Unless it is absoluly like new and you want it as an investment, enjoy it - with care. I see a lot of squirrel inlaid guns on the site, it is less common, but by no means rare. Oh ya, welcome to Marlin Owners, the friendliest, most helpful group of folks on the web! They are like an extended family. Great gun you got there. AC

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like a 39A-DL to me. Only made 3,306 of them from 1961-1963. Yours was made in 1961. It was a deluxe model of the 39A. A pretty desirable rifle. They are pretty spendy when you can find them. I agree with the first reply. Shoot it and enjoy it!

Tony

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!
Most definitely take the girl to the range!!! Or the woods...but don't let her languish in the safe not having any fun!!
Either way I say shoot it!!

Beautiful stock...I'm sure others with better info will be along shortly about the rarity of the squirrel stock...

Reactions: RCC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank y'all. As I said I'm looking forward cleaning her up and testing her out. I know she has been in a closet for 20+ years un-used. I will start looking for a scope, rings and base for her to squirrel hunting.
Any ideal on what it's value is? I understand it all depends on it's finish.

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you're here! Nice 39 -- Get out and shoot it and think of your grandfather every time you grin at the fun of shooting that great little rifle:biggrin: John

Reactions: RCC

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Looks like a 39A-DL to me. Only made 3,306 of them from 1961-1963. Yours was made in 1961. It was a deluxe model of the 39A. A pretty desirable rifle. They are pretty spendy when you can find them. I agree with the first reply. Shoot it and enjoy it!

Tony[/QUOTE

definitely looks like an original 39A-DL; value could be 1200 plus/minus 300 depending on rest of condition and selling venue. By all means shoot it, but take good care of it - much more valuable than a standard 39A! then again, priceless since it was passed down in the family. shoot straight, gewehr

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Agreed, SCHOOT IT!, if it is an A-DL it will raise the value some, the carving in the but stock seems to not add any value?, I have the same "squirrel" on my 99M1, although rare the but stock carvings (there were several available) were an option on every Marlin ever made!, you sent the rifle in with the choice of carving you wanted and you got it!, seems very few people partook of the service??

·
Registered
832 Posts
The Squirrel carvings started with the 90 anniversary in 1960. 500 of each 39A and 39A-Mountie were made. Then the 39ADL’s were offered in 1961- 1963, 3,306 made. They also had the checkering on the fore arm. In 1962 Marlin started offering stock carving where you sent your stock in. It was only an add campaign in magazines. At first they carved the stock then to speed the process up they made it so a disk with the carving was inlayed into the stock. There were at least 11 different options of carvings, 4,264 of the special offer were made. I do not have any info on the 99M1’s with a squirrel carved in the stock. I do have one and watched one sell on Gunbroker for over $500 in the last couple of months. My observation is that the carving doubles the value of the rifle whether a 39A or 99M1. I would not scope a 39ADL. I would use the fact that you inherited it to buy a second 39A to scope and shoot. My motto is you can never have too many 39A’s.

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Welcome from South Florida! Congrats on the rifle and as the others have said, taker her out and shoot her and think about your grandad when you do!

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Welcome RCC! Great looking rifle ya got there. Shoot it, enjoy it, and take good care of it.
Pretty sure Grandpa would have wanted it that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.