Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,559 Posts
Oldtrooper,

Couple of assumptions here due to the fact your posting on the Marlin Owners Forum. I'm guessing your in fact shooting a Marlin.

This info is from my recent Lyman cast bullet book (#4) and for a 350gr cast bullet from a Saeco #017 mold cast from a #2 alloy.

Their starting load for that bullet weight with IMR4198 is 39.5gr for velocity of1695fps. This was from a 24" test barrel.

Their max load for this combination is 44gr of IMR4198 producing 1936fps.

I'd suggest working up from their starting load in 1/2gr steps to see what you rifle favors, That is providing it likes IMR4198 at all.

AS I mention in another one of your threads, I would not want the velocities at the higher end of that data, due to the excessive and un-needed would channel.

And again, I'd suggest a heavier bullet of over 400gr at a velocity of 1500 - 1700fps.

My 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) at 1650fps is awesome on deer and elk.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

· Registered
4,559 Posts
Oldtrooper,

I got into the 45/70 game for one reason, using my own cast bullets for hunting game.

Forget the bullet under 400gr and warp velocities and just go with a good cast bullet of over 400gr that has a Wide Flat Nose bullet profile and it will simply get er done for you.

Enjoy that 45/70!!!!!! Great fun and awesome on game with the correct bullet!

Enjoy and have a great New Year!

CDOC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.