Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered some .460 Beartooth 350 gr. Piledriver Lites in hopes of using them on mule deer and elk. Since I have IMR4198 it's what I plan to use. I'm shooting for 1900 to 2000 fps out of my 1895SS with the 22" barrel. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Oldtrooper,

Couple of assumptions here due to the fact your posting on the Marlin Owners Forum. I'm guessing your in fact shooting a Marlin.

This info is from my recent Lyman cast bullet book (#4) and for a 350gr cast bullet from a Saeco #017 mold cast from a #2 alloy.

Their starting load for that bullet weight with IMR4198 is 39.5gr for velocity of1695fps. This was from a 24" test barrel.

Their max load for this combination is 44gr of IMR4198 producing 1936fps.

I'd suggest working up from their starting load in 1/2gr steps to see what you rifle favors, That is providing it likes IMR4198 at all.

AS I mention in another one of your threads, I would not want the velocities at the higher end of that data, due to the excessive and un-needed would channel.

And again, I'd suggest a heavier bullet of over 400gr at a velocity of 1500 - 1700fps.

My 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) at 1650fps is awesome on deer and elk.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oldtrooper,

Couple of assumptions here due to the fact your posting on the Marlin Owners Forum. I'm guessing your in fact shooting a Marlin.

This info is from my recent Lyman cast bullet book (#4) and for a 350gr cast bullet from a Saeco #017 mold cast from a #2 alloy.

Their starting load for that bullet weight with IMR4198 is 39.5gr for velocity of1695fps. This was from a 24" test barrel.

Their max load for this combination is 44gr of IMR4198 producing 1936fps.

I'd suggest working up from their starting load in 1/2gr steps to see what you rifle favors, That is providing it likes IMR4198 at all.

AS I mention in another one of your threads, I would not want the velocities at the higher end of that data, due to the excessive and un-needed would channel.

And again, I'd suggest a heavier bullet of over 400gr at a velocity of 1500 - 1700fps.

My 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) at 1650fps is awesome on deer and elk.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Thanks for the info. Sorry I've taken so long to reply and very glad I checked back on this thread. I've loaded and shot shot some Hornady 350 gr. JSP bullets with IMR4198 loads ranging from 46 to 49 gr. I was going to load some of the Beartooth 350 lead WFN in the same powder charge range and see what kind of results I'd get. I'll back off and start considerably lower.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Oldtrooper,

I got into the 45/70 game for one reason, using my own cast bullets for hunting game.

Forget the bullet under 400gr and warp velocities and just go with a good cast bullet of over 400gr that has a Wide Flat Nose bullet profile and it will simply get er done for you.

Enjoy that 45/70!!!!!! Great fun and awesome on game with the correct bullet!

Enjoy and have a great New Year!

CDOC

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm already committed to the 350 gr. since I have 300 from Beartooth Bullets. Hopefully, they'll do what I want.

·
Registered
253 Posts
"Big & Slow...Eat right up to the hole"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts