Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble reassemblng the forend cap on the Glenfield 30 GT. Nothing has changed except the finish on the wood - and that is very thin - but the cap won't line up on one side with the hole in the hanger bracket in the dovetail. Everything is seated properly as far as I can tell. I've tried tapping on the cap with a rubber mallet and pulling it down with a clamp. I relieved a little wood interferance with the hanger bracket. It is still a good 40 thousandths or more from lining up. Ideas? Techniques? Something I don't understand about how it fits?

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
12,695 Posts
I'm guessing you refinished your gun but the finish is probably thicker than you realize. I find some gentle persuasion is usually enough. If it is far off you may want to have a closer look to make sure everything is lined up right.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After six days of fussin' with it and trying various approaches, everything went together like it was intended to. I gave up on a new new-style forend hanger and bought a 6-40 tap to chase the stripped threads on the original stamped sheet metal hanger. The looseness of the stamped part in the dovetail is part of the design it appears. Other than that I can't really say what the problem was. I can say definitively that it was NOT the thickness of the new finish. That was confirmed by measurements and the new finish is certainly thinner than the factory glop. I think I'll take some more pictures then go shoot it.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
After six days of fussin' with it and trying various approaches, everything went together like it was intended to. I gave up on a new new-style forend hanger and bought a 6-40 tap to chase the stripped threads on the original stamped sheet metal hanger. The looseness of the stamped part in the dovetail is part of the design it appears. Other than that I can't really say what the problem was. I can say definitively that it was NOT the thickness of the new finish. That was confirmed by measurements and the new finish is certainly thinner than the factory glop. I think I'll take some more pictures then go shoot it.

I would venture to guess, most who have ever had a Marlin fore-end cap off
have struggled with it on re-assembly.
My personal approach is to sand the forearm until it fits.
I also drill the holes out on the cap slightly bigger.
It's time consuming and can be frustrating.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I've had some luck simply by starting with the screw I was struggling with. Also by just starting one screw and pulling it as far as it will go to that side , making the angle a little less to get the other side started. my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had some luck simply by starting with the screw I was struggling with. Also by just starting one screw and pulling it as far as it will go to that side , making the angle a little less to get the other side started. my 2 cents.
When I finally got it I had one screw just started and reached in the other hole with a tapered punch to pull the bracket back while jiggling and thumping the forend until I could start the second screw. Then I alternately tightened each with more thumping on the wood.

Reactions: Boris

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would venture to guess, most who have ever had a Marlin fore-end cap off
have struggled with it on re-assembly.
My personal approach is to sand the forearm until it fits.
I also drill the holes out on the cap slightly bigger.
It's time consuming and can be frustrating.
I was close to asking to come down and see if you could help, Navajo! It seemed time for a second set of eyes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.