Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first deer rifle and really like the 336's
1. Is there a big difference between a birch and walnut stock, weight durablity ect?
2. I'm pretty sure I want the 35 rem, but I will only hunt deer and will probably never take a shot over 100 yards. i will hunt in a heavily wooded area.
I have been trying to get a 336c in the 35 rem for about 2 months and they seem to be on back order. will cost about 330. A local chain store sells the 336aw for out 300.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I dont want to get something and wish I had the walnut stock or larger chamber. I just dont have enough info to make an educated decision. Please give any thoughts.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
No difference in the wood .. and 35 or 30-30 will do you good at the ranges you posted

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the 336 RC i.e. 35 Remington that I inherited from grandfather. It shoots 3/4 - 1" groups at 100 yards. I kinda like the "unknown" underused cartridges. I don't think you could go wrong with either and with the new Horndy Leverlution ammunition, the .35 could be a great gun for the conditions you are hunting with an occasional need to reach out to 150+ yards. I've yet to kill a deer with it but have let my wife and a very good friend hunt with it and each taking a good sized "southern" deer with it and loving the accuracy and mild recoil. I'm actually looking at picking up another .35 to preserve what I inherited.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Go for the walnut. As for the 35 vs. the 30-30 ether one will work great for you. I went with the 30-30 and like it a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
cgrant...

I think the 35 Remington would be worth the wait. The current production rifles are only available in the 336C which will have the walnut stock. I looked at Wal-Mart online and they order the rifle into your local store for $365 so the price you mention for the new rifle is very good. Purchasing a used rifle off the internet really won't be any cheaper once shipping and FFL fees are paid. I would have to wait.

There are two other Marlin's chambered in 35 Remington that are worth mentioning and usually just found through the internet.

The 336D... is a run of 1000 rifles built in 2000 and offered through Davidson. The serial number of the rifle reflects its position in the production run. It is a copy of the Big-Bore Guide Gun series but chambered in 35 Remington... 18 1/2 barrel with ports. I would say $450 would seem an average price from those posted for sale here on the forum. The last 336D that sold on GunBroker.com sold for $340 plus shipping & FFL. It was in used condition. There is currently one listed on that site for sale.

Another consideration would be the 336SS-LTD. Again, an internet offered rifle selling for $475 to $500. There is one listed on GunBroker.com. This rifle is listed for $472 but the picture isn't that of a 336SS-LTD, it's a 336SS (30-30). Probably just a mistake on the shops part and could be easily verified. Here is what the rifle looks like, a SS Guide Gun without the ports...

Any of these rifles chambered in 35 Remington are winners and will take care of your hunting needs for a lifetime. The cartridge is 100 years old this year, just like the 30-06 but doesn't get much notice except here on MO. Welcome and I look forward to hearing some hunting stories this fall!

·
Registered
265 Posts
You could pretty much flip a coin and be happy with either.

However, if you like to do a lot of shooting; plinking, take a look in your area and see what the difference in Ammo price and availability is.

In Southern NH, .35 Rem ammo is about $17 a box and 30-30 is $10. You can get 30-30 ammo everywhere. .35 Rem can be hard to find, expecially up north where I hunt. (If you just need ammo for hunting, no big deal but if you shoot a lot of paper it can make a difference)

Since you WILL end up with both of them (trust me), get an inexpensive 30-30 first and have fun shooting it and save up for one of the really nice stainless .35s

·
Registered
422 Posts
Really no difference in your choices there birch v. walnut and 30-30 v. 35 from a functional standpoint given the requirements you listed.

If you really want the 35, I'd wait for it. There are no deer seasons coming up so soon that you should need to rush. Also, the Walnut stock is really nice, I'd take that over the birch given a choice. It will look nicer and hold value better over the long run.

·
Registered
313 Posts

i have the ss 35 great gun to start out with lifetime gun.you will probably catch marlinitis and have a closet full of them though,good luck

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Always get what you want at the time. I agree with the above statements. Walnut is nicer, birch is less exspensive, both will hold their value if you maintain them and birch will always be worth less than walnut. You will want both over time. The 30-30 is cheaper to shoot ammo wise if you don't reload. 35 has more knock down if used on larger game (better blood trail with larger meplat which is why you will probably look at 375, 444, 45-70 down the road. If you buy the less exspensive 30-30 now, you will have more money for ammo and nothing but practice will make you a better hunter. You can then save the $$ for the 35. Actually you can always buy some walnut stocks later and put them on the 30-30 as well.
Whatever you get you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, all the comments and opinions helped. I know I want the C model which has the walnut stock and I'll probably hold out for the 35 rem. I do agree they are harder to find, I've been asking for it while shopping for the rifle, and they cost more, that could get me in a bind if I'm out hunting and need ammo. I wouldn't be able to get any at all where I would be hunting, but wouldnt have any problem getting the 30-30 ammo. Maybe I'll go with the 30-30. :lol: Decisions decisions.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I went to the gun store today and much to my surprise they had a 336c in stock new. Bought it I couldn't wait. The 35 rem was available on order for about $80 more. The availablity and relatively inexpensive ammo of the 30-30 did it for me. All I have left to buy now are the extras, scope, case sling ect. Cann't wait to fire it, but its still too cold for me to hit a range. Thanks for the help. Happy Hunting !! :D

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Good choice...enjoy...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Based on the performance of the new hornady leverevolution ammo, in .30-30, my buddy had, on our south texas hog hunt, I'd give a box of it a try through your new rifle. Good luck! If you want to know, he had 3 one shot pass throughs on hogs, and we didn't recover any bullets. One of the shots was about 150 on a bigg 200+ lb. sow.

Mad Dog

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
WOW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts